Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Trade is one of the favorite topic in survival discussion, so let s hear some opinions.
    My experience is that trade is not gonna be so easy like most preppers imagine it, but it gonna be there for sure.
    There s always gonna be some interesting items that gonna be more in demand for trade. Of course things like food cans, ammo, etc will be always interesting, but some things are more interesting then others in term that they are good for storing and trading because value gonna be high.

In my case few of those items were cigarettes (tobacco) , coffee, MREs…
    There were also other items good for trade, but those were very easy to “sell” and had high value. In my case it was like that simply because some traditional reasons (hard coffee drinkers here, and smokers too for example) in someone else case something else gonna be much smarter to have because other reasons.

What is your opinion about this?
    What you gonna have prepared for trade?

RROAMM
    RROAMM
    Survivalist
    member2

I like Tobacco as a trade good. I will be planting three varieties this weekend. I figure it is better to try and grow something now when the learning curve is not so critical and i have resources to help me, than when it sink or swim time.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

In America ……..PET FOOD , would be a good one , our pets are members of our family , even in hard times , we want to hang onto our pets as long as we can , plus having it on hand relieves any burden from the family food supply ……….those that dont have it will need it , a 30 or 50 pound bag of dry pet food will feed an animal for a LONG time .

You pick up a dog for protection , or a cat for pest control ( BTW , Cats actually hear better than dogs do , and will react sooner to hearing something outside ), it needs to eat . Female hygiene things , that will be in high demand if things last long enough ( both they and we want them to be clean ) . Everyday things will always be needed . One thing to consider , and its easy to get , are Military surplus items like containers ,
    Specifically the Army 2 quart canteens , you can find box lots of 20 or more on ebay without covers for very cheap ……..people will need things like that to get or keep water …..and right now most people DONT have anything but a cheap ass water bottle , that holds less than a quart ( liter ) .

Dont ‘ think like a prepper , think like the average kool aid drinker that has very little if anything in his house when SHTF …….that will tell you what they will need ….which is everything .

anika
    anika
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Ooh pet food is a very good idea.

I am not stocking it, per se, but I know how to make wine from a number of things (dandelions, fruit, etc.), and I am learning more as I’m able. That way when SHTF, I can always prepare alcohol for trade or medicinal use (not that low-alcohol wines are that good for medicinal things, but it’s a skill to have that can be practical).

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

We have decided to never trade our ammo–or guns–since they could later be used against us. People’s attitudes change when things get really bad….Friendly and cooperative now, but an antagonist a year from now.

Don’t laugh, but I would stock socks. Shoe sizes vary a lot, but socks fit almost everyone. Plus you can use them for mittens if necessary (we did as children.)

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Ok I am maybe crazy, but have nice supply of all kinds of shoe/boot laces and several big rolls of leather lacing. Also 2 cases of the aerosol rubber-like water sealer. Love that stuff – many uses, including spraying on boot soles starting to get a hole.

I have been buying small wholesale lots of travel/hotel size hygiene items and stashing them for a while. toothbrushes, combs, shampoo, hand sanitizer, alcohol prep pads, razors, aspirin etc that are packaged. Like packages they send to disaster areas.) and extra basic first aid things in small packages like band-aids etc.

Have some alcohol in small containers, coffee, lots of spices.
    Bought small resealable bags like cigarette pack size (cheap) to be able to sell/trade small quantities.
    Grew tobacco plot (small) last year – did ok but not great. Don’t think it was hot enough long enough. Rolling papers for them.

Have been making apple cider vinegar for a couple of years with an old press etc. Seeds of course – save them as a rule for long time.

I hope to have the time this year to build a walapini in a place close but not on place I live, to try growing (and low visability) so have fresh food may be able to barter.

Have treadle sewing machine and taught myself how to use last year – hope with that and growing skills, and improving my skills at sharpening tools and things, will have added skills to barter.

Always on the look out for interesting things to stash.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Wildartist , nobody knows who actually said it , but it was a Roman
    ” The definition of an ally , is somebody that you do not have to fight …TODAY ”
    I hear ya .

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Re pet food…well I think that is something that needs a bit of thought. My dogs don’t eat pet food bought from a store. I really don’t need something else I am store dependent on to store/stash away. I just make it at home from deer meat, lesser parts of slaughtered hogs I grind up and add stuff to like table scraps, vegetables, potato chunnks etc.

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

OK, tweva, what’s a ‘walapini”? :)

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I’m going say first know who your trading with. There will be a lot of scamers that just want to see what you have before they jump you. In a prior thread about trading in jail it can lead to give me more, give me more, situations. You better need what they have bad if you trade.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Walapini’s are basically ‘underground greenhouses – earth berm on 3 sides, rock or solar gain mass on third with a slanted roof to let light in (materials differ). Gosh know’s where the name comes from – if I ever knew I’ve forgotten. I saw lots of them in rural China, and again up in the mountains in South America. Some were basic as heck, had problems with drainage but, well worked. Others were surprisingly well engineered.

Here’s the PDF from the Benson Institute.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Re Walapini –
    Well crap – here’s the link to download yourself.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Nails, deck screws, duct tape, plastic sheeting, sweatshirts, blankets, gloves (rubber and insulated), sewing thread and needles.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

About pet food, it is I think one of thing that make sense somewhere and somewhere not, I doubt that here in my region would be really valuable.
    But that is the point of all this, to check what would be valuable in your case.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

True , but every country has different quirks , that others do not and items that would be looked for and others not so much . If your in the unprepared masses , your screwed for anything for yourself …..much less anything you have . BUT if you are prepping , it makes sense to have it on hand .

Unless there is a civil war , I really dont think SHTF will last all that long , even in an economic collapse , the collapse may take a long time to iron out ….but there will probably be a power in charge of civil order while we get it worked out , thats my guess , especially in this country where the government wants to stay in power very badly ………..but again , if civil war , it could last long time ……..be interesting to see what other nations would do if we had a civil war .

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 79 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.