Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Increadible, we missed one big supper storm in 2012. So this can happen, Great video!!

http://video.foxnews.com/v/3695183260001/solar-storm-nearly-caused-catastrophe-on-earth-in-2012/#sp=show-clips

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Happened before, will happen again.

Carrington Effect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

I remember when that happened. I was many many miles from home doing some labour work. Had it gone dark then I think I would have been rather screwed since I wasn’t as tuned in to prepping at the time as I was in the few years before that, and as I am now.

It’s always been one of those types of events that I have a nagging feeling about in the back of my head. Something that could cause so much chaos, and we have absolutely no control over it.

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Well, in my opinion, we are hearing so much about this in order to motivate the upgrades and changes needed to “harden the Grid”. Apparently many changes have been made, but more is needed. It’s in the works, people… But a huge Solar Storm could still knock it out or at a minimum, trip the safeties. I’m in the industry and I have friends :D

We are less vulnerable now than we were 2-3 years ago, but a really big Solar Storm could still engulf the new measures. But we might also get physically hurt from the initial storm, if it is that big. Not the after effects, I mean the same radiation that causes grid outages. :(

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

undeRGRond,

Even if we harden all the main transformers you would still take years to fix or renew everything else. All cars and trucks, computer, all refrigerators, wiring in homes and wiring in car & trucks, all appliances, all T. V’s, everything that has wire would be done. The electric companies would have to replace many of there wiring, small transformer on all the poles or fusses. It would be big and very hard to protect everything.

undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Yes, Freedom, but that is a worst-case and that level of preparedness is growing all the time. When the public heard about it, it was well under way. The last thing the utilities want is major outages. In building new power generating facilities, the grounding has really stepped up since I started years ago. Exponentially, I’d say ;)

Grounding is the main component of this type of protection, as the case of a transformer is basically a shield, so better grounding shunts the EMF away.

Certain high levels of EMP will always create problems, all we can do is reduce the amount of damage. The kind of thing where artists and CGI animators use plasma energy engulfing power line illustartions would be extreme levels of energy, not much can be done there. Faraday Cage and PRAY!!! :D

Fortunately, the human body is fairly permeable to magnetic pulses.

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

undeRGRond,

You know I come from a family of electricians, Grandfather was one on my father’s side, My father was one he is now 84. Father started at age 17. My father would take me to the jobs since I was 12. I know a lot and do all my electical work my self.

There is no tools like a Klein and a Klein Pliers. I use it as my hammer too!

undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

LOL!
    We call it the “electrician’s hammer” :D

That is cool Free. Way Cool!
    I have a similar family history. ;)

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Wow! That is cool. I think we electricians can teach everyone how to hammer a nail with a plier! Not easy but we have it down to a science.

undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

:D

Maybe we will have to teach them in the future ;)

(see sig)

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>undeRGRönd wrote:</div> :D

(see sig)

Never teach all your secrets, you don’t want to be replaced by some rogue plier hammerer.

undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Whirlibird wrote:

undeRGRönd wrote:
    :D

(see sig)

Never teach all your secrets, you don’t want to be replaced by some rogue plier hammerer.

LOL!

I’ve found that they get tired of listening after a while, anyway :D

To most it is just a “job” :P
    I suspect the “students” will be more studious after SHTF, however…

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

The funny part is my father was a sparky, I grew up running romex and conduit.

I keep a pair of dykes handy for more than sparky work.
    Pulling nails, field dressing birds, and more.

There are more who look at most jobs as just that than one might believe. In all professions.

As you said, they might pay more attention later, but I doubt it.
    If they can’t figure it out when things are easy, they aren’t gonna have a chance under real stress.

undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

IDK, somehow the stress of survival makes one “just do it” and worry about the learning later… Depends on the individual!
    I’m sure most will not make it, if it gets bad enough.

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I will use the Kleins in a SHTF for when I have to remove finger nails! LOL!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.