Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

These are available at Princess Auto here in Canada. They hold about four hours on a full charge, and the panel is weather proof. Each set up has 5 leds to light with.

light
    here is the specs
    Bulb Type LED
    Bulb Colour Bright White
    Number of LEDs 5
    Detection Range N/A
    Detection Zone N/A
    Power Supply Monocrystal solar panel
    Battery Life 2 years
    Battery Type Rechargeable “AA”
    Battery Included Yes
    Mounting Type Roof Mounted

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Hi Gypsy – what exactly would you contemplate using this light for? With only 5 LED’s, from my experience I can say that this would provide one only a couple of steps up up from pitch black. There are better/brighter LED lights you can run with re-chargable batteries, that will last longer, and you don’t have to mount a solar panel to make them work for about the same price. 48 LEDS and I can actually see well enough, in a wide enough area to do something. But that is just my experience the last 8 years. All depends on what you want it for. Just my own opinion. But, whatever you choose, solar lights solve many problems in and out, at low cost, low maintenance. Technology has rapidly improved on them the last few years. Good for you – go solar when it makes sense!

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

Our bug out location has campers which are not the biggest or fanciest. But we are all off grid there. So two or three spaced apart in the main area and one in the bath room at night is pretty much all we need. Plus they do recharge the rechargeable batteries, which in a grid down, I would have no power to even recharge the batteries in a normal charger in the first place.

There is a elderly man that my husband helps out by delivering him his eggs and bringing, chopping wood for him, that actually lives in his small cabin only using these and his old wood/oil burner stove. In a SHTF way of looking at it, Staying at home I wouldn’t want my house all lit up it would make us stick out like a sore thumb. Where I live in would become a war zone even for a tiny town. I can throw rocks at the nearest grocery store. So looters would likely be watching for well lit places.

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Well Gypsy, then it sounds like these suit your purpose very well! Do you have a separate solar battery charger you use? I need to get one.

I agree about too much light not being a good idea. Do you have heavy curtains, what do you use? I need to do something about that too! Always something isn’t it? Hope the storm left you all in good enough spirits/shape; – despite that temp/wind! Wow.

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

I use black-out roman blinds in the bed rooms and blackout panels they block out 99.8% of light, reduces outdoor sound by 42.5% and reduces heat loss by 37%*, making it a cost-saving and green decor option for every season.
    For the solar battery charger we bought ours off ebay.ca You can get them that cover aa/aaa/c/d batteries.for about $45.oo this is what it looks like.

charger

George S. Patton

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

http://www.apexbattery.com/12-volt-solar-panel-charger-1260mw-battery-chargers-solar-chargers.html?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=18283950120&utm_content=pla&gclid=CK-Lt7SGtb0CFSqXOgodzDEAaQ

I did a quick search and found this, (It might be a pos) however. A 12V charger can be used to keep up car batteries, most phone, tablets laptops and other gadgets. There are coverters that can be used to power 110AC equipment off of 12v batteries. How long depends on the size of the battery bank. Ok so if the link is crap I’m on a tablet and it makes some functions difficult.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.