Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Thanks Tweva,
    Someone ping Malgus so he can stop thinking about steam power!

Output – Power Inverter (defines model)
    Output:
    SUN110: 110-120 VAC, 60 Hz
    SUN240: 220-240 VAC, 60 Hz
    SUN220: 220-240 VAC, 50 Hz
    Modified sine wave (pure sine available on request – add $1000.)
    Max continuous power: 3500+W (5000W rating)
    Surge capacity (peak power): 10,000W
    AC load and DC status bar graph meters
    Power and fault LED indicators
    Low voltage alarm and shutdown
    Four standard 15A 110VAC plug outlets or two universal 220-240VAC outlets
    NEMA transfer plug included with SUN2240s and SUN240s
    Or 12VDC output (DC End, see above) cigarette-lighter socket output or direct from battery with link cord or AUX plug

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Selco and others looking for DIY system – written by someone living with solar of different kinds, starting at basic, I just remembered Enola Gay’s great blog. CLICK THIS link to see her blog entries on solar. She writes very well and describes the problems and the ‘life’ of living with solar. They haven’t always used it and started small.

I still look for the specs/infoon building your own simple system from backwoods home.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Tweva , as you know , the most common PV systems for a home are the Solar interactive , you are part of the grid and your solar panels electricity output metered , just like the grid , and you are basically selling your electricity back to the power company . Stand alone systems are by far the most expensive .

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Tolik – we don’t ‘sell’ power back to the grid. We have two panels. The real question here is – even if you have solar powering your ‘systems’…is that ‘enough’? The answer is absolutely not…and the subject is one we have not yet talked about here. Actually, haven’t seen it discussed much elsewhere. Never have been able to figure out why.

However, been a long day in the garden after a very long winter…out of shape for sure, tired. Will post a new topic for all to consider shortly. Best to all, goodnight! …one tired puppy

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Tweva , I remember my grand parents talking about the homestead ranch they had during the great depression , they were very rural , so had no electricity from the grid . Back in those days , solar did not exist , but like most people of the day , they liked to listen to the radio , so they generated electricity from a windmill .

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

This is the system we install at our homestead. It is good for basic needs to power a medium sized fridge, fan and laptop for a few hours and some lights at night. We also have a generator running as backup. Overall this was about 4300 USD. We cook with gas, on a charcoal grill or in a clay oven and do all the washing by hand.

• 6 x Solar module Poly-crystalline 240Watt
    • 1 x Charger Controller Power Master Premium 24V/60A
    • 8 x Battery Deep Cycle 125Ah/12V
    • 1 x Inverter Power Master LC-Series 24V/2400W Pure Sine Wave
    • 2 x DC breaker ONESTO 2 pole 500V/63A
    • 1 x DC Surge ONESTO 2 pole 1000Vdc Max. discharge 40KA
    • 18 x Connector MC4 for DC cable
    • 10 x Connector MC4 for DC cable “double”
    • 1 x DC cable for Inverter LC-Series (from batteries to Inverter)
    • 1 x AC Breaker “safety cut” 30A

We are totally off grid right now but the government plans to build some power lines nearby in the coming months / years and then we will go with a grid tie in. We plan also to have a small wind turbine, but Im still a bit hesistant. We are on the side of a mountain and want to stay as low profile as possible. A spinning wind turbine isnt exactly the way to do this! :D

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

Solar energy can be a useful way to engage some people in a discussion who would normally have no interest in prepping.

I remember I was interested in solar (and other power sources) many years before I ever heard of prepping. My interest was based in the idea of not being so dependent on the big utility companies to supply power, water, or anything else. I didn’t envisage any ongoing prepper-type crises, but I had enough experience of temporary outages to want to not be vulnerable.

Some people can be interested in solar for this reason, and for the idea that there may be money savings somewhere in this, to want to at least listen and see how good the idea is. This could open the door to hint at being prepared in other ways.

Bugs Bunny: "I speak softly, but I carry a big stick."
    Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Selco and others, click here the article I spoke of from Backwoods Home. The very end tells you of this mans qualifications. The article is from 2008 however.

From his company website here is Part 1 of article Prepper Power – click here to read

Now Read Part 2 of Jeff’s Prepper article from his site click here.

Now read these 2 other 2006 articles from Jeff in which he clearly helps understand the process:
    Part i:
    http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/yago99.html
    Part II:
    http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/yago100.html

Here is a great ‘all in one’ sort of compilation of solar info all in one place with multiple links. Click

Hope it helps in some way.

I have taken his classes. And yes Elijah B solar is a great way to meet people of like mind.

————
    Solar is a complicated subject. Solar can also be dangerous if you do not know what you are doing! Don’t kid yourself. Working with electricity and batteries takes education or you can injure yourself or start a fire in your home. You really have to know what it is you want solar to do for you FIRST and then educate yourself.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Thanks Tweva!

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Yep – your welcome Selco. Thanks for your course very much.

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Zombeh Post, but I feel compelled to chime in!

I have played with electricity basically all of my life. Solar and self-generated power is fascinating to me. JAY has a great point, Wind Turbine is an excellent supplement to Solar, because in my locale if the sun is shaded by clouds, the wind usually picks up. Wind also blows more at night, generally.

Everyone here knows that batteries are almost a must have, but does anyone know what is a great addition to a battery bank? A capacitor bank of approximately 20% sizing (or less) can really “take a load off” the batteries! The CAPS can deliver a huge percentage (ALL or 100%!) of their reserve without suffering damage or efficiency losses. A battery works best at a 5% rate of discharge OR LESS.

Caps and Batteries do the same thing, with exactly opposite response curves!
    A CAPACITOR compliments a BATTERY, and a Battery compliments a Capacitor!

A Cap charges much faster than a Battery, and absorbs spikes that can damage a battery.
    Caps are not “cheap” but a properly sized Cap Bank can make the battery bank act like it is twice as large for the 20% Cap Bank sizing. This is the hybrid car “rule of thumb” but even a smaller sized cap bank can make your Solar Batt. Bank react properly.

Assume that we have TWEVA’s Gould Well Pump:

Gould 240v single phase, 2 pole 30amp breaker – mfg said start amps 15 but actual tested by electrician is 10 – 12 amps? Running amps as tested by electrician is 8.2 amp per leg – 2 legs.

And let us assume the mfg’s 15 amp starting current is correct, because most electrical meters will average out (RMS and all that rot) the peaks.

300 amps are drawn instantaneously from the batteries!!!
    (12 volts DC to 240 vac is a 20:1 factor, and 15a x 20 is 300a)

A relatively small cap bank would deliver this and more

Here’s a small example I found just now, ready to hook up and run:

http://infiniteelectronix.com/batcapminicap5010faradcapacitorauthorizedbatcapdealer.aspx

Not endorsing this dealer, perhaps a better price can be found.
    Fascinating concept, however! The charging efficiency of a capacitor is nearly 100%
    and very, very FAST, but a battery needs a slow charge and charge efficiencies peak at around
    50% with trickle charging. So the CAPS help on the charge and discharge phases!

Remember, the “rule of thumb” is a 20% sized Cap Bank is like DOUBLING your Batt. Bank.

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.