Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    nlouise
    nlouise
    Survivalist
    member4

I have been reading this past week that we have been having earthquakes here in California (Southern Cal) almost daily, but closer to LA which is about 1-1/2 hours from me. I haven’t felt any of them until just about 5 minutes ago. We checked online and found we had one an hour ago about an hour from where I live in La Habra. This one was separate from that one. Things are getting shaky out here.

nlouise
    nlouise
    Survivalist
    member4

Update:
    We had a 5.1 about 12 minutes ago. High desert.
    We had a 3.4 about 10 minutes ago. High desert.
    An hour ago we had a 3.6 in La Habra.

Now it says its all based in La Habra (LA county)

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

Oh no!! Stay safe!! I’ll keep you in our thoughts and prayers it doesn’t get worse.

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

nlouise
    nlouise
    Survivalist
    member4

Oh Thank you GWHusky. I haven’t felt anything since. I hope its over for now. When I moved out here in 1987 I had no idea why people would say California would fall into the ocean some day. Two months later we had a pretty good sized quake come through…..and that answered my question. lol

I just posted this because some of the sites I go on that watch weather patterns and such keep saying to keep an eye on Southern California right now. There has been a lot of activity here lately, but this is the first one that hit home.

arrah
    arrah
    Survivalist
    member2

Whats the current expectation of “the big earthquake”? Do you actively prep for the big earthquake that should hit California sometime soon?

nlouise
    nlouise
    Survivalist
    member4

Well, I am about 1-1/2 hrs from Los Angeles at about 4,000 ft elevation so the way I figure it is when the big one hits I should be sitting on ocean front property???

I prep for it the way I would prep for SHTF. The only difference is that since I am in the desert I have a lot more prep going on as far as drinking water.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

nlouise – I would think you would be fine up at that elevation even if ‘the big one’ would happen. Older brother is in Los Gatos – told me last week there was a series of 4. whatever quakes around Eureka. Have family that farms in Imperial Valley, some in Huntington Beach so I pay attention when I hear mentions of quake activity out your way.

We had a 4.6 one south of here a few years ago. Felt all the way up in Washington DC. First time I ever witnessed such a thing. Was sitting on the ground, pulling weeds when the pots on the deck started chattering, and could feel the ground under me moving/trembling. It took me by such surprise – took me a while to figure out what was happening! Not normal for around here, but not unheard of either. Got up but a bit odd to try and walk. Water in pool was sloshing back and forth dumping out water everywhere. Very disconcerting to say the least.

Do you have to secure/fasten stuff on walls down normally? Or, is this unusual for you up in desert? Hope it calms down for you. Be safe!

anika
    anika
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Yikes, keeping fingers crossed for you, nlouise – stay safe!

Hannah
    Hannah
    Survivalist
    member6

nlouise,
    My brother is in downtown LA and his roommate said that their apartment walls were cracking.
    I’m glad you are safe!
    It seems like CA is very active right now and picking up speed in seismic activity. Hopefully there won’t be any related casualties.
    I’ve been checking out the pictures of damage on social media and they are crazy!
    Hannah

nlouise
    nlouise
    Survivalist
    member4

Thank you Anika.

Tweva: One concern would be when the San Andreas goes, supposedly areas of it will unzip. I picture that to mean homes and land sucked inside? I’m sure your experience was frightening. I still get a little weirded out when we get one. I can only imagine how those on the New Madrid fault line feel when they have one roll through!?!?! I think a lot of this is HAARP. A lot of people do things to keep their stuff fastened to the walls. I don’t and haven’t needed to yet, where I live. I probably could use some downsizing of collectibles anyways. lol

Hannah: I bet its scary to feel it in LA, right on top of it. I know we shook and look how far we are from it. I had a few boxes fall in the garage and a couple pieces in my kiln fall over (not firing at the time thank goodness), but nothing substantial. Yes, we are having a lot of activity lately…..more than usual.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

I was there for the Northridge quake in a camper sleeping when it happening. Some very sharp jolts. Stuff can fly. People moving out into tents. They didn’t wait to get into the open.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.