Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

In just 48 hours Edward Snowden will be speaking via streaming video from Moscow to a theater in Amsterdam, and then across the world via the internet. He will even take questions via social media (explained in the announcement itself). Here is the beginning portion of the announcement:

Join us on Thursday, November 10, for an exclusive free post-election livestream Q&A with Edward Snowden. The world’s most famous whistleblower will address questions about how the US Election results will affect your privacy and his pardon, as well as other questions submitted via social media.

We are thrilled to make this event available for viewing at https://www.startpage.com/snowden/ starting at approximately 4:30 PM Eastern time on November 10. The feed will be broadcast from the Pathé Tuschinski in Amsterdam where Snowden will be patched in to our live theater audience via satellite transmission from Moscow.

https://www.startpage.com/blog/our-latest-developments/edward-snowden-streaming-live-at-startpage-com-on-november-10/#hmb

In light of the current circumstances and those of recent date, this should be very interesting. I HOPE it’s not just a plea by Snowden to generate more support for his requested pardon by Obama, and that it will be far more substantive.

Note: startpage is the safe alternative to Google, through which you can search to your heart’s content without being tracked by Google or the sites you visit (as long as you use the “proxy” feature in the search results). Also, startpage offers (for a modest fee) email that can be fully encrypted. They’re based outside the U.S. and not subject to U.S. snooping laws.

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

• This topic was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint GeorgiaSaint.
    Profile photo of L Tecolote
    L Tecolote
    Survivalist
    member8

Thanks, GS! I watched it and would like to see it again, to pick up a few words that were garbled in the original transmission. Snowden seemed to be the same guy he was in the documentary movie, Citizen Four. Laura Poitras recorded it, with the original involved people, including Glenn Greenwald, and Snowden himself, while the escape was taking place. He didn’t seem to me to be trying “to generate more support for his requested pardon.” I can hardly blame him for being concerned to stand trial in which he would not be allowed to explain his side of things to the jury, because to do so would be further violation of the Espionage Act. Sounds like Catch 22 to me.

Judging from what he said, his real crime is letting us (“enemies of the United States”) citizens (and everybody else in the world) know that they are being constantly spied on by the NSA. Given that such is not really news to any national government, nor to any who seriously aspire to terrorism, it’s a fair question as to why they need such close tabs on all the non-threats of the world, unless to “keep them in their proper place(s),” i.e., in constant fear of the fedgov. And his point is well taken, that when the NSA has everything on everybody, they have too much total stuff to efficiently and timely sift, to spot the few really salient bits of info that could help stop an attack. Makes me wonder if they might not actually want the attacks as “proof” of the necessity of their universal spying.

Cry, "Treason!"

GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

My thoughts almost exactly. And I was struck by the answer he got about coming back to face a fair trial in which he could publicly present his case – the U.S. government would only guarantee that they would not torture him. How very benevolent. My wife and I both watched it, and both found it quite sobering.

I have one correspondent that uses Yahoo email, and I was somewhat aware that I needed to be careful in what I replied at times, but he really brought it home just how much we’re just sitting ducks – every incoming and outgoing email through Yahoo mail (and others) is being mined for whatever possible future benefit they can get from it. We’re long past the point of internet safety – they already know far too much about us to ever be safe IF they want to make a case against us.

I was also struck with how comfortable he seemed to feel about being able to criticize his host country. That certainly isn’t the image our press would have us believe.

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint GeorgiaSaint.
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

By the way, Tec, you said you’d like to see it again. It’s already shown up on YouTube, in case you haven’t found it yet.

GS

Profile photo of L Tecolote
    L Tecolote
    Survivalist
    member8

GS, thanks again for the replay link. The government story that most of the “conservative” talkers and bloggers circulated was that Snowden had stolen a huge cache of nuclear secrets, or identities of clandestine agents and assets (stuff, that as far as I know, he had no interest in, nor concern with) and had blabbed all those juicy secrets to the Russians, or the Chinese, or both. I get the impression from him that (a) he wouldn’t have done so, out of loyalty to the once-honorable principles of the USA, and (b) was far more concerned with this bombshell fact that this servant-wannabe-master fedgov spies on people from whom it fully understands it has nothing to fear, in order that they should eventually come to fear it.

By the way, I use Yahoo mail, and refuse to sweat it. I couldn’t possibly compete with the government that wishes to intimidate us on most fields of endeavor. They’re younger, stronger, richer, more numerous, and better armed. I have only my pitiful old brain and mouth (or keyboard.) But I like my thoughts and Ideas better than theirs, and as long as I’m not committing crimes by expressing them, I’ll just put them out to dry, as and where I’m able.

Still, if they wanted badly enough to hang me for a crime (that I somehow hadn’t bothered to commit) they’d probably just do it for me and refer the production of incriminating details to the experts at the Evidence Creation Bureau. This spy-on-everybody business is lower than chicken$#!+ under a snake’s belly and they already know that, as well as what they can do, if they can’t take a joke.

Cry, "Treason!"

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by Profile photo of L Tecolote L Tecolote.
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Like Tec I’m not concerned about using Yahoo, simple reason, I don’t put anything in emails that might come back to haunt me.

Except maybe my grandmother’s chow-chow recipe….

Same as public forums.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by Whirlibird Whirlibird.
    • This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by Whirlibird Whirlibird.
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

As I said, I was careful about what I put in email responses to that individual using Yahoo, but the sad thing is that we’re in an extreme minority here – most people (particularly in the US) seem extraordinarily unconcerned about blasting their personal views, itineraries, sensitive personal information, etc., all over the world on Twitter, Facebook, whatever. The fact that so many high profile people could be busted in the Ashley Madison website data breach is just one of a massive number of stupid things people do without concern for who might be “listening in.” Over 25 million people had virtually ALL of their personal information stolen in the federal data breach (OPM) that we learned about last year – nearly 8% of all Americans, just in that one breach. Add to that the massive Anthem (Blue Cross Blue Shield) data breach, along with all the others. Nobody really seems concerned – that’s amazing to me. And when you add in every water plant, electrical grid component, air traffic control, traffic lights, banks, brokerage houses, the financial markets, yada yada yada, the fact that we’ve got such a mind-numbed population is beyond comprehension. Oh, I have professional education and experience that in theory explains it all, but in reality it’s a wonder to see. As I said, we’re a very (almost insignificant) fraction of the population in general.

There mere fact that a theater in Amsterdam could be packed, with listeners throughout Europe, vs. the almost total lack of coverage yesterday of Snowden’s broadcast, is further evidence. But hey – 500,000 people have signed the petition on Change.org to get the Electoral College to put Hillary in office. And Miley cried. Now THOSE are important! Privacy? Who cares?! [sarc/OFF]

GS

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.