Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

I decided to post this here (and not under recipes)…’cause I don’t have any recipes for the things. I do know people have told me the eggs are good. But really….I will reluctantly do my part to catch the blasted things so they don’t over run my bid pond….but what are they good for truly? I now catch them and take em down to the river and dump them off. Nasty bastards. This is a small one. Could I sell/trade ‘snapper’ meat? I am serious.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

Bushrat has eaten them and loves to! He’ll get on here later, I’m sure, and post. He’s promised me the pleasure, perhaps this summer.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Hey now!

Snapping turtle is good stuff! Here’s what you do…

First, chop off it’s head. Yeah, yeah, I know… just do it.
    Second, take your leaky turtle over to the nearest fence post and nail him to the post about chest high. You want the belly of the turtle facing you. Drive a good sized nail though his tail at the base so that he just hangs there.
    Third, using a sharp knife, cut around the joint where the belly plate meets the rest of the turtle and pull it away.
    At this point, you can clean away the innards. DO NOT cut the bladder or intestines, it will contaminate the meat. Cut around the anus so the intestines fall away.
    Fourth, you can skin the legs of the turtle and start peeling away the meat. Don’t forget the liver and heart.

Once you’ve got all the meat you can, dump the rest. Buzzards and worms gotta eat too. Wash the meat thoroughly. Turtle soup is outstanding.

What you got there is a bad-tempered, slow walking dinner… don’t just get rid of them. That’s good eatin!

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Thanks for that really Malgus! I will give it a go this spring! Where is the most meat ..under the shell or legs? Also, if I am processing and see eggs, assume wud be in some sort of sac or membrane?… anything need to watch for?

This one was attacked by the mother of all snappers …huge thing…king of pond. I am determined to just shoot that monster this year one way or another. Now maybe bushrat will tell me how to cook and try it. (Sorry ..on stupid tablet now…hate this touch screen keyboard. Again many Thanks!

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

According to my fellow Southerners down Missouri ways, this is the proper way to field dress a snapping turtle…

Enjoy.

1. Keep the turtle in a bucket of clean water before killing it. Change the water every few days as the turtle empties its digestive system. The wait usually takes one to two weeks. Proceed when the water remains clear.

2. Poke the stick near the turtle’s head. When the turtle bites the stick, slowly draw his head out. Use the knife to slice off the turtle’s head. Hang the turtle upside down and allow it to bleed out. Allow it to hang overnight.

3. Cut off the turtle’s feet once it has bled out. Cut away the skin around the shell and peel away. Cut through the soft places on the belly where the shell connects and remove the shell.

4. Remove the turtle’s innards and the yellow fat around the meat. Break off the legs and neck by twisting and breaking them off with your hands.

5. Leave the meat on the bone and wash with cold water until clean. Turtle meat tastes best if cooked immediately, according to the Missouri Department of Conversation. Freeze if not using right away.

Recipes vary from “bread the meat and fry it like chicken” to more involved recipes involving garlic, potatoes, leeks, etc…

I would start simple and then work your way into the more involved recipes…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

http://www.food.com/recipe/bookbinders-philadelphia-snapper-soup-130865

Tweva,
    Snapper Soup!!! Probably the soup evvvveer made.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Best ever. This touch screen is killing me.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

1974t150v – RE the touchscreen keyboard…PIA I know. Going to go get a bluetooth keyboard for the thing today. Thank goodness they are pretty cheap.

Hannah
    Hannah
    Survivalist
    member6

I ate turtle soup a few times as a kid in Indiana. It was fantastic! Theres not much else to do with the poor old snappers since they have such an attitude problem!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.