Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

NASA is comfortable with a 9 million mile error factor, are you?

NASA SAYS “NO CHANCE” SMALL ASTEROID WILL HIT EARTH ON MARCH 5TH

http://www.universetoday.com/127215/small-asteroid-to-pass-earth-on-march-5th/

Basically, the asteroid is expected to make its closest approach on March 5th, and will pass Earth at a distance of between 14 million km (9 million) and 17,000 km (11,000 miles). By comparison, the Earth’s Moon lies at an average distance of 384,399 km (238,854 miles) from Earth, ranging from about 362,600 km (225,309 mi) at perigee to 405,400 km (251,904 mi) at apogee.

This means that there is a chance that, between March 2nd and 6th, this small asteroid will get far closer to Earth than the Moon ever does. The reason for this variation in estimates has to do with the trajectory of the asteroid, which scientists cannot entirely predict. This in turn is due to the fact that they have only been able to track it since its discovery, just three years ago.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

The article was kind of interesting in the manner they went on and on about there being no chance of it hitting earth. It left me thinking why bother even writing an article if that’s the case. To my way of thinking if the range is from 11,000 miles to 9 million miles then they’re really saying they have no idea how close it will get. That said, this is on the list of things I can’t do anything about.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

MB,
    Well you won’t be able to stop it, but you could invite your family home for a cookout. If it passed by with no effect everyone can go home happy and fat.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous
    Survivalist

The article was kind of interesting in the manner they went on and on about there being no chance of it hitting earth. It left me thinking why bother even writing an article if that’s the case.

But then how do they fill page space and sell advertising copy if they can’t get people to read their articles? People won’t spend time on an article about how many segments make up flies’ eyes. Asteroids destroying all life on earth except cockroaches – just days away?!? Now THAT sells advertising copy by keeping up readership statistics! Me? If it happens, I hope it hits square in the southeast US. If not, oh well…. Another doomsday story down the drain. I like the family picnic idea, with a good supply of binoculars on hand for entertainment. And some good steaks cooked rare before we’re all well done.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.