Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10
    Profile photo of RSSwizard
    RSSwizard
    Survivalist
    member3

Itll hit harder than a .22 thats for sure.
    But the accuracy is the problem. In general your accuracy is equivalent on this scale, in this order:
    Thrown Rock
    Slingshot
    Blowgun
    Bow (no sights)
    Pistol Crossbow
    BB Pistol
    Pistol
    Full Size Crossbow
    Light Carbine or Submachinegun
    (and ill stop there)

With lots of practice and work you can get good with a slingshot, but much less practice is necessary for the same accuracy or better with another more accurate weapon. They’re just more accurate and the same amount of practice will make you deadly at their enhanced ranges.

Profile photo of c
    c
    member7

Thanks, Tolik. That was very interesting video. Would the stopping power of a .22 caliber in a long gun be much better?

I have been stumping with a Pathfinder sling for about a year. I can hit a saucer size area at 25 feet but I’m not accurate at a greater distance because I don’t have a powerful draw. The arrow drops-off.

It’s a Pathfinder sling modified for using arrows. I like it because it is light and small can be shot both left and right handed. (I’m left-eyed dominant but everyone else in the family is right-eyed.) I don’t like the break-apart arrows.

http://www.selfrelianceoutfitters.com/deluxe-pathfinder-pocket-hunter-kit/

I have a compound bow, which I find to be a monstrosity. I have never brought it into the woods and I can’t understand how anyone could hunt with the damn thing. I’m looking for sometime more simple and primitive like a recurve bow that I can carry easily in the woods.

Maybe I should make a monster sling shot like the guy in the video! :)

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Yeah , I’m not sure if he has anything in mind for long term , when he invents these things . I think he is one of these people that likes to solve engineering problems , then makes a prototype , just to see if it works . Once it does work , he looses interest in it , and moves on to something else . All his vids are interesting tho ………have to give him that .

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

@ RSS,

Re: Your ‘accuracy’ list…

The ability to hit something with a thrown missile (not the rocket propelled kind) depends on several things – the first and foremost being “Accuracy” versus “Precision”.

If you hit generally in the same area each time, but not the point you were aiming for, then what you’re using is accurate, but not precise.

If everything you’re putting down range all hit in the same spot, but are not on target, then what you’re using is precise, but not accurate.

Accuracy and precision depends on the inherent accuracy and precision built into the weapon, and the skill of the operator. Skill depends almost completely on practice, for the vast majority of mortals. The more you practice, the greater your skill will be, the more you can exploit the accuracy and precision in the weapon system.

All that said, your list is… well, it’s wrong. I’m not going to address “rock” or “slingshot” because I don’t seriously consider them. Everything else on the list depends on quality of construction – which goes directly to accuracy and precision inherent in the weapon itself, and then the skill of the operator comes into play.

A good quality bow and consistent arrows being shot by someone who has practiced their whole lives with a bow will score more hits than some junk BB pistol in the hands of a neophyte shooter… yet, you have the bow as being inferior to a BB pistol… and there is no guarantee that a submachine gun will be any more accurate than a pistol. In fact, most pistols of decent quality can beat a sub-gun in the accuracy department, especially when you consider that a sub-gun’s main purpose is to score multiple hits in multiple places with pistol ammo. That, and – with few notable exceptions – most are designed to be punched out like paperclips – cheap and fast. Which does not lend itself to accuracy or precision… .

If you’re looking for something to carry in the woods – and you consider a compound bow “monstrous” – then I would carry a crossbow. A good one. Traditionally, it takes a great deal of time to train someone where they are competent with a bow of reasonable draw weight. Crossbows have a heavier draw weight (unless you’re talking about an English war bow), but are much easier to operate and it takes less time for someone to become competent with them. Plus, you don’t have to put on a lot of beef to be able to operate it.

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Liked the video. Shows that you can build a weapon that is very powerful. I am with Malgus on the crossbow, they are easier to handle.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

RSS,
    Power and accuracy of a pistol can easily outreach a crossbow.
    And we’re not talking the .500 magnum.

The bow and crossbow are fairly dependent upon the cutting edges they carry, as they have little velocity and mass to work with to “create” or at least harness energy.

My old Colt Python with it’s 6″ barrel was accurate, precise, and effective well past crossbow range. I’ve made witnessed hits on silhouette targets at 500y with it. Thats more than any subgun I’ve played with or any bow/crossbow.

Much depends on the weapon as well as the shooter.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Agree Whirlibird, All I was saying is if given a choice between a slingshot and a crossbow I would take the crossbow. But if it is between a crossbow and a gun then the gun wins every time. The gun is just to fast. You can shoot multiple times much faster.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.