Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Welcome to the forum.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Welcome Slike, looks like a real nice place you have. There is a long “urban vs rural” thread in the Urban Survival forum if you haven’t seen it already. You’d probably have good thoughts to add to it. I am in the rural is best camp, but clearly you are better situated than most suburbanites.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Your chickens must be in heaven. Love the look n how u chose to let light in

Profile photo of Slike
    Slike
    Survivalist
    member2

Hi Mountain Biker – thank you for the welcome :)

I am – we are – fairly well set here, probably as much as can be, given the circumstances, things which I can do nothing about.

We have LOTS of fresh water here. We are in a “micro climate” of sorts, on the side of a rocky mountain. The house is built on the shallow bedrock of the mountain. Though we typically get copious amounts of water, any flooding typically occurs much further downhill.

The temperature here is typically 10 degrees cooler than the surrounding area in summer, and 5 to 10 degrees warmer in winter. The sun sets for us around 2pm, but we get little of the winter chill since the mountain and very tall trees tend to block the wind. We have trees up to 150 feet tall. Lots of oak, maple, beech and tulip trees. The tulips are the tallest; they bloom yellow tulip flowers upside-down, larger than my fist.

I typically believe rural is good, though my recent experience of rural life leads me to reconsider. I lived that life for about a year, and found myself constantly visiting town for too many things. Though I imagined my little homestead a “resilient” one , I quickly found that the property was too rural for me. Perhaps there is a happy medium and I’ve just not found it yet. Maybe my place here is the happy medium. I’d like to think so anyway.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Slike
    Slike
    Survivalist
    member2

Hi Tweva :) the girls WERE in heaven, living the idyllic free range life that, apparently, leads to their ultimate end as tasty meals for turkey vultures and red tailed hawks. I will have to work on a larger enclosure where they can range while I’m away during the afternoon.

Here is a picture of the chicken run that I built , 30 x 40, uncovered , with the chicken coop there in the middle. But the girls got wise and flew the coop after a month or two. I left them to free-range around the backyard after that.

Later this year or next spring I’ll do the work on the extended covered chicken run inside the fence there. That silly water tower that I built didn’t workout either. Trial and error, for everybody, right?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Yes, Slike, in the real world. most folks must live in urban/suburban environments given how difficult it is to earn a living in rural areas. I was fortunate to have had a good career in a small town in MA a bit beyond the suburbs, and now that I am mostly retired, I was able to move full time into what was my bug out location in the VT countryside. Needing to earn a living was not a factor for me, though if I ever needed to sell my place, my target audience would be NYC Metro area types looking for a country property; people who don’t need to support themselves here. Rural populations are getting older and in most areas the best case scenario is a stable population as opposed to a declining population. Come an ongoing SHTF scenario though, the rural areas is where I think it’ll be best to be. .

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Slike, welcome to the forum. On your comment about burying fire wood. Seems like a lot of expense and work just to hide fire wood. If it’s not in a dry environment it will lose a lot of BTU’s. I’m curious about what your plans are though.

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

Welcome to the forum!

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Slike ….google chicken tunnel garden…..friend liked the idea but not in garden and has the tunnels in a big circle so they have lots of room….but if something comes and digs…dont know. I am growing vines over the one uncovered top side of one pen due to hawks. The other side is covered and sunny.

Ps love your beautiful collies

Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Great Pictures and welcome to the forum!!

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Howdy Slike. Welcome aboard.

Profile photo of Novus Ordo
    Novus Ordo
    Hunter
    rprepper

Slike – welcome aboard! Great looking place you got – look forward to your input on projects and comments on other postings. K

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
    - Thomas Paine

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Seems your semi-Rural area could be fine, depending on a few things:

1. Quantity of neighbors
    2. Quality of neighbors (not a race thing, I mean a prepared neighbor is a good neighbor)
    3. Proximity of NYC (you said an hour commute, correct?)

#3 can be compensated for quite well with a huge ammo store, and a good B.O.B. which in my common terminology means Band of Brothers (and Sisters!) Some usually mean Bug-Out Bag…
    Close to NYC calls for a 24 hour watch, and a possible BOL (bug-out location) if your primary gets too Hot. I am planning on the Bug-IN as well, but am portable and can bug out too. Gotta have FRIENDS! :D

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Hello Slike and welcome here. Thanks for sharing all this with us.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

If you get a chance check this place.
    Robin

http://webpal.org/SAFE/aaaarktwo/index.htm

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.