Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Slavery has been around sense man has walked the earth .
    Generally speaking , I am opposed to it ….BUT I also feel that there are times when slavery can be constructive . A good example of constructive slavery is in the Soviet Union during WW2 . When the Germans attacked , and occupied large amounts of land in the Soviet Union , they started genocidal programs , killing millions of innocent people , outright or with starvation , forced labor , etc.

When the Russians got their steamroller running again , they used German prisoners for clean up and labor , they were also starved , they had to work for their rations . Out of approx 91,000 prisoners taken at Stalingrad , only around 5000 ever saw Germany again . I think that slavery is actually justified by the actions of some groups . In a civil war or SHTF situation , there will be the oppressor and the oppressed , why not use the captured oppressor as a slave to run things like manual labor generated electricity ? etc.
    That way , their existence as a captive would be put to useful things , and be punished for their misdeeds at the same time , they also would have to earn their care or their daily beatings .

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Well in Selco’s case gangs did keep slaves around. Im not sure how justified it is, but it is probably better than to outright kill them. The logistics of war are ugly so sometimes you have to make decisions that go deep into the black / dark area of what we humans are capable of.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

You capture couple of enemies, and use them as a workers, yea slaves you may say. Or your group capture enemies, and use them as a workers, or force them to bring explosives to their group or they will be shot in the back (they usually get shot by their old friends, because explosive they carry).

They had no rights, almost everybody could kill them or torture them, sometimes they would be swapped (exchanged) for prisoners on other side or ransom, or something else, favors etc.
    All kind of slavery was there in that time, yes sexual too. I can not say it was normal because it was not, but it was usual.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

The whole idea and practice has always been evil.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Have to disagree about military logistics , the Nazi’s had a different standard with Eastern Europeans , they were not treated the same as British or American POW’s , even in the same camp , the Russian prisoners were starved , while the british and americans ate …….so that and what they did in eastern europe , the Soviets were absolutely justified to do anything at that point . Bottom line , dont start a war ….then loose that war , you may pay dearly when the other people you pissed off come looking for revenge ………..and you will deserve it . I firmly believe that 9/11 was a direct result of our global interference policies coming back to bite us in the ass ……it aint over either , in my opinion . I do think that when the economy and dollar does collapse ……….our ability to interfere will come almost to a stand still , not a bad thing , its too bad the American people are going to be the ones to suffer for inept , corrupt government .

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Slavery……What is it? To me it has many fine lines and is hard to define specificly. Is it simply being held against your will and made to do things you don’t want to do? That would make prison slavery. Free will is what muddies this debate up. I think the greates defining factor in slavery is how the captured are treated and even that issue gets muddy. There will always be people that disagree, winners and losers, oppressed and oppressor. The only form of slavery I think is easily defined as wrong is sex slaves.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

@Tolik
    I just think the raping and killing the Russians did when they got back at the Germans were as bad as the Germans doing it in the first place. Of course the Russians had much better reasons to do this, but evil is evil if it affects innocent people.

The German guy who stabbed some innocent Russian to death gets killed / tortured. That makes still somehow sense. The distant cousin of the German guy who was just sitting at home baking bread gets killed / tortured as revenge for what that guy did? Not cool… not cool at all. As bad as what the German guy did in the first place.

But just like you said, without getting esoteric, I also believe there is some sort of “karma” in effect. If you screw around with other people expect they will screw around with you.

@matt76

Some good points. I agree.

If we put war and civil unrest aside, slavery has many faces and happens all the time on a sliding scale. You have the poor Filipino women held hostage in Saudi Arabia by wealthy families or you have the person who had some health issues, got in a lot of debt because of it and now has to work three low wage jobs just to keep a roof over her head. In both cases the system in place made these people slaves.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

I agree. Innocent people should never be treated that way, but in the end we will all be held accountable by God for our actions. Thanks to Adam and Eve evil entered this world and has no mercy. It is a curse we live with while on earth.

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

[To bring up the dark thinking of one of my husband’s former friends (dead now)…he was a Frogman (predated the Navy Seals) and had done and seen a lot. Much of which he would not talk about. But when he did, it made you think. Paranoid, yes; but logical.]

The point is, that you may be preserving a slave’s life, but you must keep constant vigilance, because they could be plotting revenge. Bitterness, hatred and revenge are huge motivators and often wait in the darkness for the time when you least expect it.

And if you are keeping someone a slave out of bitterness, hatred or revenge, things have a way of coming back to you. Some call it karma, others God’s justice, and the consequences of our choices. Whatever a man sows, that shall he reap…

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

God help me with this one question. I know if your family member is treated as a slave and you find this out that my put you on the other side of evil and that is war. I am just not sure if I would just kill them.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

@Jay
    that was odd, when I was replying to your post all it showed was the reply you left Tolik and that is what my reply was regarding.

@wildartist
    in war slavery is an alternative to death. You cannot let your enemy roam freely among you as he will surely kill you at first opportunity so he must be enslaved.

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

True, freedom. Self defense is one thing, but deliberately going over to the evil side is quite something else.

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

Matt76, I was just bringing out the risks of keeping slaves, as my husband’s old friend would have. Prisoners//slaves keep you enslaved to a degree, keeping control over them…

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

This is true. Funny how that works.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Well , on the chain gangs of old …………..they were simply too tired to cause trouble , and depending on their diet , perhaps too weak as well . Sleep becomes as important as freedom after awhile , over time , you know your in no condition to consider doing anything and that a 12 year old girl could kick your ass .

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.