Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

I am very excited. Rod Garcia contacted me last night and my knives are now on his bench for production. He has about a 40 month wait list, but somehow the sharp objects fairy pushed me to the top of his list after only 30 months. Getting the Mk1 with 2 lanyard holes in O1 steel.

This is huge news for me. This fits the hole in my kit for a rock solid, custom build neck knife. I already have custom chopper, parang, and bushcraft belt knives. I needed a good neck knife build that I could beat on if need be.

http://ageofdecadence.com

Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

Congrats! Post pictures when you get it :)

sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Will do…… Will do……

For those that are unfamiliar with this particular knife, it is the same one that Mors Kochanski endorses during his talks and such. Rod took all Mors’ suggestions/requirements to be a bushcraft knife and build the SBT. If you ever get a chance to play with one, I highly recommend you do. It is very well designed and does incredibly intricate work for a knife that operates as a general use item.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Sled,
    I went to his site to look at the knife. I was surprised at the size being used for a neck knife. I’m curious how the neck sheath is set up. For myself I don’t like something swinging around when I bend over. Then I don’t use lanyards either and was wondering if the two holes were really for turning the knife into a spear, or maybe I missing some basic idea.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

40 month wait for a Pukko?
    Guess I’d rather have a Largent custom.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

LOL Considering SHTF may well happen before the 40 months are up . If you are into knives , you will find this interesting . Way back in the 1800’s they used to forge knifes out of old worn out files .

sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

74:
    The way that these are set up the length is not that big of a deal as a necker. Of course each bushcrafter is different, but it is quite common to have a mid sized knife like this as your carver/fine detail use knife and a large chopper or axe for heavier work. Knives of this size are perfect for doing feather sticks, making pot hooks, general carving, etc. I have even field dressed quite a few different type animals with a knife similar to this one. The nice thing about necker setups is as such: You can set them up however you like. For instance, I am currently using a Helle Harding for my necker. I is 8.25 inches OAL. The SBT is only .25 inches longer AND has a pommel plate. The sheath that you use for your necker is also a factor. I like to use either a cobra braid paracord setup or leather cordage. Either one work quite well. On dedicated neckers I punch holes in the belt loop or wrap the sheath in rawhide to punch holes in for the neck cordage.

I will be getting my SBT in only a few weeks. The 40 months is a long time, but you can find these floating around from time to time. If you want a knife that you can bet your life on, this is one of them. Rod really does a tremendous job with these things and if you have solid knife skills, there is little that you can’t do with these bad boys.

Forged knives with a twisted handle like the one pictured in the video preview have been around for a long time. I have used them from time to time, but prefer them only for general use or patch type knives. The handles will dig in and mess your hands up after prolonged use as you do camping chores. Try using one to fit poles together when making a hut or shelter…. You are going to have several hot spots or blisters. Been there done that. The nice thing about file knives is that the steel is very hard and will hold an edge quite well if you do a proper treat on it. I used to have an old Diamond rasp knife that was a Hudson Bay pattern. It was nice and worked quite well, but I just didn’t like the shape so I traded it off. If another rasp/file knife cropped up that I like, I would definitely take a look at it. Like I mentioned, the steel in files and rasps is quite good.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by Profile photo of sledjockey sledjockey.
    Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

This is huge news for me.

Merry Christmas! :-)

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Sled ,
    It looked like a cool idea if you were a blacksmith . You could wrap the twist with something …….or use the poor mans solution = tool dip .Done that with other things , doesnt work all that bad .

sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Tolik:

The proper way would be to put scales on it and then shape the scales if it was going to be a constant user. I have done both the primitive type forged knives and finished them with scales, rawhide, twine with epoxy… All sorts of things. These are GREAT PSK type knives, however. Putting together one like is pictured with a rawhide sheath that has been properly waxed is a great survival type knife. Like I said though, don’t expect to come out blister free if you actually try to build a shelter, carve or do a lot of fire prep with it.

Those are a GREAT way to learn how to smith knives if you are interested. Also, lawn mower blades and railroad spikes are phenomenal starter blanks. Just in case you were thinking about learning to smith a bit. I need to get another forge so I can get back into it. It has been a while, but bending metal is really a fun hobby.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

I love to watch people who know what they are doing , an art indeed , like glass blowers .

sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

You are correct on that….. Some of these blacksmiths are truly more artist than anything.

sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

I got them in the mail today…. WOOT!!!!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

Like I said back on 23 December, but with even more gusto now, “Merry Christmas!” Methinks somebody is a happy camper tonight. ;-)

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Woot for me!!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.