Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

I am thinking here about skills needed for surviving in world when SHTF. Skills that you have or you think it would be cool to have.

Skills that people in your group need to have in order to be accepted in your group, and skills that you (alone) know and have in plan to learn.
    Some of them that I prefer:

• Technical-mechanical knowledge and skills
    • Medical skills
    • “fight” skills
    • Farming (land) skills
    • Wilderness survival skills
    • Communications skills

Those above are wide topics, for example I count under the “technical and mechanical skills” knowledge about repairing stuff, making stuff with little resources, “inventing” skills… or under the wilderness skills there are hunting, trapping, skinning… communications are about communication with outside world but also dealing with people, both outside (trade for example) and inside group (structure of the group and problems and similar).

Best scenario is that everyone be pretty good in every field, but there are experts for each field.

Any thoughts?

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Selco,

To me the most important skill will be the ability to accept a rapid change in plans and go in a new direction. Trying to work with people that are stuck with one idea and can’t accept that it is not working; will not apply a new idea themselves or allow you to take a new approach is a killer. There are always unforeseen/unknown elements to most complicated tasks that must be overcome to achieve acceptable results.

No whiners.

Profile photo of osagemarine
    osagemarine
    Survivalist
    member3

Mental flexibility and toughness. Be able to deal with a problem and adapt. After the physical threat is gone, you can learn to sleep again.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Business skills. To deliver on time, to know how to keep your word and to be honest in your dealings.

Profile photo of TK556
    TK556
    Survivalist
    member2

Long term, I think the ability to negotiate. Negotiate deals, alliances, you name it.
    Imagine trying to get cross-country and coming across a small town that has blocked the roads in and out. Negotiating safe passage through could be a life saver…

Profile photo of TK556
    TK556
    Survivalist
    member2

I just did a sort of skills inventory. Not trying to brag, because my outlook and experiences keep me humble, sort of, but my resume sort of reads;
    Fixer – I have been to school for and worked as a mechanic. I worked for a school district running boilers, heaters, generators, HVAC systems, plumbing, and electrical.
    Farmer – The last two years I’ve raised a garden and helped friends in theirs, learning a lot. Took a class about and keep looking for local edibles (Dandelions are actually tasty!)
    Fighter – Ex military, and no, I didn’t turn a wrench or push paperwork :) . Worked in Law Enforcement, PI, still work in Executive Protection.
    What I would want in a group member is flexibility in thinking, (totally agree with osagemarine & 1974t150v) mental toughness, and have some skin in the game. No freeloaders. Everybody works, and everybody eats. A good sense of humor is mandatory! Grunt humor can keep your soul intact in the darkest times.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

My skills are as a handyman. My father and grandfather were electrical contractors and building contractors so anything that has to do with building a house or even a small building of no more then three stories I have done.

When I was 18 my father did not want me to be a contractor so he sent me to the Dominican Republic to study Medicine, so I did in 1978 and finished in 1982. I did do two years of internship in the U. S. but I still wanted to be my own boss and own my own business so I started developing and doing spec homes and reselling them.

So I do know some Medicine. I am also a very good stain glass window worker, hobby!

I love gardening but only fruit trees and vegetables, not into flowers.
    I am very good with my hands, you teach me something done with your hands and I will learn fast.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Selco,
    I think metal fabrication capabilities would be very high on my list for long term shtf. The ability to create/recreate new equipment will end up as vital. A smelting pot for reclaiming steel and casting equipment, a large forge and metal bending brakes. Basicly an old time Iron works.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Personally I try to learn all “basic” survival skills so that I can live properly in my natural environment. In the coming months and years I will mainly focus on medical skills though. They simply make you a very valuable asset for a group and have been and will always be in demand.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Agree 1974t150v, those skills going under ” Technical-mechanical knowledge and skills” on the list.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Jay,
    Living properly in a natural environment using survival skills sounds like a life style similar to primitive hunter gather populations, or are you talking about organic farming?

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Selco
    oxyacetylene welding supplies would be nice to have as well.

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

You can get into Oxy-acetylene welding pretty easily, lots of inexpensive kits (small bottles of Oxygen and Acetylene though) with all the hardware for it. Great for cutting thick steel as well.

Not sure why but it’s my favourite form of welding. Guess I just like the flames lol

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

bushrat
    bushrat
    Survivalist
    member4

TK556, don’t mean to be nosy, but is there a specific company you do EP work for? If none of my business, no problem, just wondering.

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

Lots of skills identified in this thread. I have many covered but it’s always ongoing…practice etc. I’d throw out ‘Grey Man’ skill. Thanks for sharing!

http://www.itstactical.com/intellicom/mindset/gray-man-strategies-101-peeling-away-the-thin-veneer-of-society/

http://www.examiner.com/article/the-grey-man-approach-to-personal-protection

“Grey man – an individual who possesses the skills, ability and intent to blend into any situation or surrounding without standing out, concealing his or her true skills, ability, and intent from others.” SOURCE:

http://www.survivalthinktank.com/2011/11/grey-man-directive.html

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.