Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Sig522 is my 22LR rifle it has a  Integrated M1913 Picatinny receiver rail for mounting optics, made of
    7075-T6 Aircraft grade aluminum upper receiver with hard coat anodize finish. The Sig522 comes with a
    folding and locking stock. This is the rifle I have and my son have. We go to the range with the Sig522 and a Sig hand gun 22LR. The magazine hold 25 22LR.

They are very reliable and has not failed me as of now. Link to the Sig522 website is http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/sig522-swat.aspx

Specs.

Caliber
    .22LR

Overall Length
    35.1 in

Rifling

1 in 16 in

Barrel Length

16.6 in

Weight

6 lbs 6 oz

Mag Capacity

10 to 25 rounds

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

I just find it so hard to spend that kind of money on a 22 but man they are fun. I got to shoot the ruger version and it was a blast

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Matt76, Yes they are not cheap. I purchased it about two years ago when I came in to some money. With the scope and red light and 5 mags of 25 rounds it was a little over $800.

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

If it is any consolation, the ammo is getting higher and higher, so you don’t have to feel bad spending more money on the weapon :( </sarc>

Nice shooter, Free!

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I got it when 22LR was a box of 550 for $23. I think it is coming down a little.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

I appreciate many of the “tacticool” .22s out today for training, however in my experience they fall shy on the durability side on occasion but most of the time its the accuracy that suffers for the cool factor.

What groups are you getting out of that beast?

Me, I will tolerate fair accuracy out of a combat or hunting gun, but a .22 because of its power level must make up for that with precision.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Whirlibird, the Sig522 are very durable, my son gets a better grouping then I do but I think it is my eyes are not as good as his. Son gets at 50 yds group of 1″ and 100 yds in the 1 1/2 to 2″ grouping. My grouping are all over the place so I got to get new eye wear.

They are more money then a Ruger 10/22 but I got them because my plan is to buy the Colt AR 15 for my son and one for me so the Sig522 is close to the look and feel of an AR. Also the folding stock makes them compact and easy to handle in close quarters.

I think if you have the extra cash they are a good buy but if you do not then just buy the Ruger.

Profile photo of warpedrazorback
    warpedrazorback
    Survivalist
    member3

I bought a GSG 5 a few years back. I did not care for it at all. Ended up trading it out for a 10/22 and some cash. Biggest problem I had was feeding issues, regardless of what I tried feeding it. I considered getting a 22LR AR upper, but I’ve heard mixed reviews on those. The 10/22s have always worked really well for me, and they’re so modular you can basically make it into anything you want.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

The Ruger 10/22 is one of the best 22lr there is. My Sig522 has been a great weapon. No feeding problems at all.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Freedom…. Some of the Crizal anti glare lenses may improve your groups. Scratched lenses are very annoying when need to see well.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

The 10/22 is like a Camaro, you can do a lot to it.
    And there’s a couple of things that need to be done, in my experience.

Moat of the tactical .22s are junk, period.
    For every good one, there’s the rest.

AR15 uppers, don’t skimp on price, you want a decent barrel to start.
    Secondly, take it to your smith and have him polish the living daylights out of it. If ir moves, polish. If its a bearing surface, polish.
    Fire lap the barrel (your 10/22 also), it will pay off in spades.

Im a.22 snob.
    And bluntly there are zero modern .22s I will buy.
    Why? Simple, the quality and attention to detail isn’t there unless we are talking a $1000 Kimber or Cooper. Even the CZs aren’t what they were 20 years ago.

If I have to go and put several hours work into a rifle to make it shoot like a rack grade Remington or Savage from the 60s that I can get for $125, we have a problem.

When modern guns break before 75 year old rifles, we have a problem. My 30 year old Marlin bolt gun may be on its third firing pin, but it has consistently outshot more expensive rifles, despite the trigger.

There was a point in time, people took pride in what they made, a little bit of each person who built that rifle was in each one. Today its all assembly line junk.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Before the .22 ammo crunch in Ny I managed to acquire a couple of bricks of aguila 60gr. subsonic and have been looking for a .22 rifle for it. The walther g22 seemed good with a 20 inch barrel. And then I thought a bolt action .22 with a longer barrel would be better. Any suggestions so I can buy something useful. If there were a sig in Ny I’d consider it but I think they’re all banned by now. Stainless would be good in the climate here. 10 shot mags only though.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Thanks Brulen, Need new lenses.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Brulen wrote:</div>Before the .22 ammo crunch in Ny I managed to acquire a couple of bricks of aguila 60gr. subsonic and have been looking for a .22 rifle for it. The walther g22 seemed good with a 20 inch barrel. And then I thought a bolt action .22 with a longer barrel would be better. Any suggestions so I can buy something useful. If there were a sig in Ny I’d consider it but I think they’re all banned by now. Stainless would be good in the climate here. 10 shot mags only though.

The faster the barrel twist, the better with the 60gr SSS loads. The 1:7 twist available in some barrels does better than slower twists for accuracy.
    And the longer the barrel, the better.
    My old Marlin M39 (24″ barrel”) does well with them, but it’s no quieter than ‘target’ ammo.

If you can find one of the older Remington 510 (511/512) series of rifles, you may be well ahead in your search.
    Light, full sized and accurate. And best of all, normally more than reasonably priced.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.