Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 138 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tzizh
    tzizh
    Survivalist
    member2

shtt won’t be peaceful, like the depression. then, we had horse draw farm implements, non hybrid seed, trained horsemen/farmers, 30^ of the population lived on farms and ranches and a lot of the townsfolk had gardens and small livestock. few had more than a single shot 22 as a gun. today, we have all hybrid seed, total dependence upon herbicide, fertilizer, and petroleum fuels. 3 x as many people, 10’s of millions of rapidfire weapons and billions of rds of ammo. and lots more ability to get around, moutain bikes, ultralight planes, powered and sail boats, kayaks, off road bikes and atvs. no place in the lower 48 states is more than 24 hours by vehicle and another 24 hours of walking, from millions of people

it’s very easy to put a pair of 5 gallon jerrycans of gas in the saddlebag position on a bike, and 2 more in front of/behind a buddy rest. put your pack on the gastank, your rifle clamped across the handlebars. 23 gallons of gas is 1000 miles of combined off and on road travel and they WILL find more gas in that distance. in combines, tractors, farmer’s fuel tanks, shot up cars, etc

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

tzizh, now that I am thoroughly depressed I’m calling it a night. In all seriousness, thank you for sharing your thinking so extensively.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Trespassing on other people’s property around here – SHTF or no SHTF – to steal someone else’s salt blocks – that his herd needs to survive and thrive – is a good way to get shot.

Most folks around here are attuned to peoples comings and goings. Small rural community. Plenty of pill heads and meth heads stealing property out of barns, sheds, etc. When things go sideways, planning on stealing your neighbor’s stuff is an almost guaranteed way to get dead. Everyone is armed.

I’d rather tribe up with other land owners and combine our strength rather than try to go it alone.

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of tzizh
    tzizh
    Survivalist
    member2

so, no, you do NOT want just a shotgun, just a single shot, just a bolt action. At the very least, you need a rapidfire .22lr, with a silencer, a scope, and a see thru scope base. Having it have luminous iron sights is a great idea, but will cost you $150 and many hours of home gunsmithing. .22 silencers are easily arranged. Paladin Press has a great book on how to counterbore your barrel, tap it for the female threads, how to easily make great, long term baffles with just hand tools, how to mount the male threaded stud in the back of the silencer tube (pvs or steel tube, both are covered). YOu’ll need to either shorten the barrrel to 6″ (keeps regular 22lr ammo subsonic) or use subosnic ammo, for the silencer to do a really good job.

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

Thanks for the info Tzizh :)

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

The Ruger 10/22 charger pistol is being offered in a take down model. Although I think a .22 Papose would do just as well. Both are light and well made.

I could load a dirt bike on the front bumper of my truck carry a 100 gal diesel transfer tank in the back with 6 jerry cans of gas and all my camping equipment besides. But I prefer an atv. there are some really quiet/stealth motor bikes out there. The military uses one. Feet are the best.

If somebody wants to go to all the trouble of making a suppressor they might as well develop the machining skills and make a ww2 Welrod pistol in the caliber needed. For that matter air guns are getting better all the time. Anything to prevent hearing loss is good. .22 subsonic was all removed here. I haven’t seen any. The Quiet 22 made by cci was ok. So was the aguila sniper 22. I guess it didn’t fit their political agenda in Ny..

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Best I’ve seen so far is the De Lisle carbine. They still make a modified version. .45 ACP and runs on 1911 magazines. All’s you hear is the ‘click’ of the striker falling and then you hear the impact of the round a second or so later… it’s so quiet, I actually giggled a bit watching a test of it being conducted..

http://www.specialinterestarms.com/

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Tzizh,
    Thanks for sharing your views. Your comments verify the need for security measures against people with no moral compass, as well as the hoards of the desperate. I suspect if you engage in your fantasy of attacking people while they are sleeping it won’t take long for you to be hunted down and shot. Since you will be sleeping all day in a hole, it will be easy to walk up to the entrance and throw a few fire bombs into your den, or wait for you to come out at night and step into a trap set at the door. You will be out gunned with multiple arms now that you’re the prey.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Just watched the video of the suppressed Enfield. I think charging the round is almost as loud as the fired round. I did notice him shooting lefty and manipulating the bolt lefty as well in a very awkward movment. It is very easy to shoot with a dominant left eye and use the bolt with your right hand eliminating the reach over. Using your right hand you can keep your eyes on the sights and target.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Having slept on it, the only solution for me and most others is aligning with neighbors for mutual support and protection, in addition to my son & maybe a few others joining me in my home. Trying to live outdoors for a year may be an option in the deep south but not up here where it routinely dips below zero in the winter, and the heating season is at least half the year. I live fulltime in what was the BOL. I have nowhere to go and will survive or not where I am. My plans do not include taking from others. This is why I have done the prepping and taken the self-sufficency actions I have for some years now.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Mtb,
    You’re being polite to a person that is ready to kill you in your sleep.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I know 74 but listening to the thoughts he has shared helps me to understand the nature of some that we might be up against.

You can otherwise blame my mother. She never tolerated her kids being impolite or mean to anyone. We were poor but well-behaved and respectful. I was always the one who was nice to the kids that others unfairly picked on at school (the fat kid, the not so bright kid, the nerdy kid etc). All that said, come SHTF, working with my neighbors, I will dispatch rogue assassins that threaten me and mine.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Ya I know, but makes me laugh a little as just a few days ago someone wrote that this was my profile. In reality I’m just a meak little man <sarc> but I am a reasonably nice man anyway.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Nothing wrong with being nice to people. Usually what happens is they’re nice to you in return. However, sometimes there are people who just can’t play nice with others or who don’t want to play nice with others, and if you can’t avoid them, then you need to get them out of your way. This approach to life will also apply post-SHTF.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Ladies and Gents.

We have a Melvin in the house.

AKA Twan, Meetm, as well as a host of other names…..
    And the one name everyone knows him by……

GUNKID.

Where did that ‘assault wheelbarrow’ go anyways?

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 138 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.