Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 138 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Malgus,
    I think if you try to post at the same time as someone else you get bounced.

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Yeah, Malgus, JUST YOU!!!

lol JK!

IMO, I say a little bit of everything.
    The ammo shortages decided that for me…
    Guns were always cheap, but the ammo was scarce, so I ended up with handguns in 9, 40, 45…
    also PCCs in all 3 calibers.
    ARs are the standard, plentiful ammo and I do not have “issued M4s” so I’m OK there. Besides,
    if you are suspected of having “military weapons and ammo” you made a mistake somewhere. :D

Hard to beat a Mossberg 500 and an AR!

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

The only other thing with weapons after the persons ability and mentality to use them is in a group to have people able to cover as many possibilities and skill matches as possible. Cool everyone has same gun /ammo a plus on ability to keep stuff running and more of an ammo pool to start. Bad if you dont have anymore of certain caliber you are all out … empty gun scares 2 people person aiming it and person being aimed at who breaks first?

Some on our group, well marksmanship is low to medium at best with practice maybe get to medium anything beyond 200 m is an iffy shot when not on bench rest. do they need a “sniper” weapon? 12 gauge is fearsome weapon especially in close quarters you hit and 50% death chance instantly. We have women as well weight of ammo and rifle precludes effective use of M1A style weapon due to weight of both the platform and ammo. Does that mean using a Carbine or a sub gun is any less effective?

suspected of military ammo? you guys are joking right… you are going to let them “check” your weapons after you had to obtain ammo by same type of people? If that ever comes to that things are way beyond todays situation, having todays mentality means you probably will not make it.

Look to military squad use of fire power and figure out which is a most applicable for your skills and personal load out. Practice as a group so many things you will need to learn before it happens when mistake is awww damn i failed not way worse. practice practice practice… yes getting old hopefully means getting smarter to compensate for deterioration of physical prowess. 85 year old martial arts instructor can still best me and 2 other students at the same time no holds barred not some showy stuff either..timing patience matching strength to weakness understanding the art of war. A huge dose of LUCK helps…sometimes just not your time to go.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

I think a great SHTF gun is the little over and under .410, .22 survival rifles. So many load options. 45 LC, birdshot, buckshot, slugs and of course .22. They aren’t big, recoil is manageable. I wouldn’t call it my battle rifle but in the hands of someone small huddled in a closet or safe room it’s not a bad option for a close range last ditch effort to survive, not to mention its usefulness on small game.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>matt76 wrote:</div>I think a great SHTF gun is the little over and under .410, .22 survival rifles. So many load options. 45 LC, birdshot, buckshot, slugs and of course .22. They aren’t big, recoil is manageable. I wouldn’t call it my battle rifle but in the hands of someone small huddled in a closet or safe room it’s not a bad option for a close range last ditch effort to survive, not to mention its usefulness on small game.

I have two of these, one from the 40’s the other from the 70’s.
    As a scroungers firearm, with an appropriate optical sight, these can be a very good choice but I’d put forth the opinion that they are better for an experienced shooter who can use the gun to it’s full potential.

Many years ago, my grandfather started me with the 70’s vintage gun, most of the time the animal was gone by the time I got the proper barrel chosen and the hammer back. Fast forward some 20+ years and the same gun was used to take a full limit of rabbits and two pheasant within an hour. It is part of my food procurement plan and has been used to take a number of critters but like most “multi-purpose” tools, it’s not great at anything but will do a lot.

For someone small, they are hardly a good choice for several reasons.
    The hammers are hard to pull back, my son at age 11 couldn’t lock the hammer back.
    My youngest, now almost 10 won’t be able to for years.
    Heck, in my heavy winter gloves I can’t get the older hammer locked back thanks to all the padding.
    And the stock length is too long for smaller kids.
    But both can operate my son’s youth model 20ga Mossberg 500.

My son went from hardly being able to hit rabbits and doves with the .22/.410 to shooting 20 of 25 on the trap range with the 500 within a couple months. My youngest, she can just decimate milk jugs at 7Y, she’s also a terror with a 10/22 and a 25 round mag, more a bullet hose than any form of accuracy.

As to the use of .45 LC in the .410 barrel, you’d better not. The bore diameter of the .410 shotgun runs around .410″, the bullet diameter of the .45LC is a nominal .452-.454″. That .030″ difference creates a great deal of pressure that the guns aren’t designed for, and will wreck most guns, if they’re choked it can/will be even worse.

Going the other direction, .410’s in the .45 Long chamber (which has been bored long, the Taurus Judge for example) can be done but the .410 hull will be expanded normally beyond reloading.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

The one I shot when I was young looked like the picure below but I don’t remember it being hard to cock. Time has a funny way of making things fuzzy. I bought a little Rossi single shot .410 for my kids a few years back and it is a little hard to cock. They started dove hunting with me about 3 or 4 years ago with it. The first year they only got 1 or 2 a piece. Second year was a little better. Last year I letthem shoot a 20 g. My mistake. I didn’t get to shoot anything. They shot them all before I could blink. Lol

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of RSSwizard
    RSSwizard
    Survivalist
    member3

Its kinda weird but for the money involved my suggestion for people is a .44 Magnum revolver, with a long barrel on it (8″). And get it fitted for speed strips if it isnt already, and get a bunch of the strips for it. It makes a revolver about as fast to reload as a semi-auto.

This replaces the shotgun, its a one-shot-stop and it does significant damage to doors. You can shoot it from the hip at knife-drawing range and it doesnt matter where you hit someone with it (arm or leg, and that appendage is coming off).

A Taurus revolver is about $650, or half the price of a desert eagle. You dont gotta worry about the ammo being rare if you’ve got 500+ rounds stocked up. And by the time it eventually does run out, you will at least have had multiple opportunities to get a replacement.

Serves the role of a glock too, and it does it better. Unless you’ve got 17 zombies to worry about I dont think 6 shots is going to put you at a disadvantage, especially if you’ve got the speed strips.

In shtf, if you find ammunition you are most likely going to find the gun that shoots it, laying next to it. Otherwise youll find alot more weapons that dont have ammunition for them, which also fire common calibers.

Prepper gun choice should be about choosing a weapon that will be effective and will carry you through the initial phase of it.

If you Are concerned about ammo availability, then you should pick a caliber that is Not Common but still commonly carried in stores. Sounds like an oxymoron doesnt it? Well a .357 magnum is less popular but you can usually still find it, and you can probably find some 30-30 too (there are low cost lever actions that can hold up to 7 rounds).

Most combat in shtf is close range, home invasion style, or shooting across a parking lot. And if they have a rifle then you should just find cover and avoid them. You dont need to shoot farther than 100 yards at most. And even a 9 mil will shoot reliably up to 100yd with a scope (estimated effective range of a 9mm round is 150 yards, anything lower is user error).

undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

I have bought guns based on ammo availability. Makes Perfect Sense!
    Less popular, but commonly available calibers are everywhere. I got a good deal on a 270W and found that was one of the calibers that was not selling out, during the height of the scare! I cleaned out a local farm store :D

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

RSSwizard
    Survivalist
    member3

I got a good deal on a 270W and found that was one of the calibers that was not selling out

YESSS.
    That is the key. And 270 has excellent firepower and range (its basically a necked down 308).

You wanna find something that is frequently carried, but not everybody is going to be going for. Though there’s always that chance some other dude like yourself has one of them, and they go and clear it out too. But its a risk worth taking.

Reminds me of fat-ass jeans at Wal Mart. I wear jeans in the 46-50 range. Not too many people wear those, but the ones that do have problems finding them, so they’re often gone anyway.

If its common (9mm, 40sw, 5.56, 12ga) then everybody will rush it, because everyone* can use it. Abit of a logical loop there, more common means its more prone to disappearing.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

An 8″ .44 Magnum wheelgun? Replacing the shotgun?

I’m gonna need a little more information on this.
    And last I knew, revolvers didn’t need fitted for speed strips.
    Reloading with a speed strip, faster than singleloading but not as fast as a speed loader. And there’s no comparison to swapping out a fresh magazine unless you’re Jerry Miculek.

As one who has owned, hunted and carried 8 3/8″ Smith revolvers, I can say that they are not practical at all.
    Even the 6″ versions are a challenge to carry daily. There is a reason Elmer Keith and Ross Seyfreid carried 4″ barrels on their. 44’s for daily use.

There’s “effective range” and “realistic range”. The Navy Seals on Grenada were able and capable of making killing hits out past 300y with the short barrels and reduced velocities of the 5.7″ barrels on their MP5 SD3 supressed subguns.

Damage to doors? As one who has taken doors off hinges with both breaching rounds and birdshot, there is no comparison.

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

I just read this whole thread. It was a very intersting read to say the least. A couple things stood out to me about this thread, however….

1) LEO vs. Military concepts of a firefight….. Being prior military, I sat through countless kill house trainings, field X’s, live fire X’s, and several live ops….. This being said, there is something that everyone has overlooked: Shot is shot. It hurts like HELL and makes you do stupid things that will get you even more shot. If you can slow someone down, make them leave cover, or just quit shooting back you have created a huge advantage in the fight. My belief (again it is from MY training and experiences) is that you shoot the best target presented and follow up as needed, rinse, repeat.
    2) I don’t care what spiffy weapon system you use or how much you paid for it (high or low). I have sat through more than enough trainings and X’s to know that some people can shoot while others can’t. A .22lr in the hands of a Hillbilly that has poached food for the table his entire life is much more dangerous than a LEO with a Glock. Food and neighbors versus target training? That Hillbilly, toothless dewd will put one between your eyes quicker than you can even think about whether the “Isosceles” or “Weaver” stance is best for the pistol you are carrying at the moment. That backwoods bumpkin has been playing guerrilla warfare tactics with Game Wardens, his neighbors, and drug growers his entire life. So my point regarding this is as such: The right tool in the right hands is what is important.
    3) Semiautos jam much more than a revolver, but who cares if you don’t have the ammo? Who cares if you run NATO, run .50 Beowulf or just keep your trusty .32 WCF next to you? If you have the ammo, can use it, and don’t have problems shooting food or threats then I consider you ready to rock.
    4) Firepower (number of rounds) versus stopping power (energy of round)….. Who cares? How well trained are you with either theory of weapon use? If you are a 2×1 shooter, then awesome. If you are a single shot should do it type, then rock that. Either way lead poisoning is lead poisoning…….

I personally am setting myself up with 2 pistols because I can actually dual wield and practice it. My second Beretta 92a1 will be ordered in the next couple weeks. Second pistol to this point has been rotational until I decided the direction I wanted to go. Yes, I spent a lot of rounds getting good at dual wielding. Yea, it probably is too Hollywood for most. I don’t, however, have to depend on a side arm holstered on my right side or left side. I can shoot with either hand or left or right handed stances. I can also put a hell of a lot of lead on target in a very accurate manner. Why have I done this? Because that works for me and DOES work for other people in much more operational situations that I have or will ever be in (I hope). If it doesn’t work for you, then go buy your Glock, S&S VXR or Valquero and be happy. All hurt when shot with.

I also have an AR15 with 20″ fluted barrel built for longer range shooting and is dead nuts accurate. I have shotguns including an 18″ Mossy with pistol grip for other types of social encounters. There is also a .300 WBY set up with a 4.5-16 scope and bipod for reaching out and touching something. My safe also has many other hunting rifles and shotguns, plinkers, etc. What to choose…. What to choose.

So what would I really choose for a SHTF situation? Simple: What situation and what was I going to have to do? It all is dependent upon the situation. That is why I have built kits. I have a bushcrafting kit with lever guns and revolvers. Got blackpowder and archery stuff. I also have stuff specific to feeding my family. Got an AR7 tore down in my truck with 500 rounds just in case. Then I also have my tactical, spiffy guy outfit that is getting body armor as of next week….. It all comes down to what happens and when in my mind, thus making it impossible to assume defense versus meat for the table without less variables and more hard data.

I think all of us have the perfect plan that completely sucks for we really don’t know if or how it will work until truly tested.

Now back to cumbiaya and SMORES……..

http://ageofdecadence.com

RSSwizard
    Survivalist
    member3

I guess its just my style.

Actually I wish I could just have the PS-90 and have 50 round mags for it and a hundred mags worth of ammunition for it too. That’s what I feel I would do best with.

Oh and I hate the AR platform with a passion, I absolutely hate the AR-15, M-16, and M-4. The only AR I could ever see myself getting is one with a .458 Socom upper.

However I do not have a gun at all and have no hope of getting one, so im just providing my own advice. I guess I have a different tactical style than most, which comes at things from a more sneaky bstrd (read: bad guy) type of approach. I do believe it works, because it focuses on close range with hand weapons, and a firearm is just a better hand weapon.

When you barely have $40 per month and you end up having to spend all of that (food comes from a food stamp card and soup kitchens), even spending $250 on a HiPoint + Mags + Ammo is hopelessly out of sight.

And the last thing anyone is going to do is give you money, so that you can buy a gun (nevermind the fact that in illinois you need a stupid firearms id and I dont got that either, which is more of an issue of not having an address to send it to rather than not being able to pass the checks).

undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

270W is a necked down 30-06 actually.
    308 is shorter.
    270 common bullet sizes are 130, 150 grain, and pretty much match the MV and ME of the “Aught-6″.
    Downrange is where they shine, and the 130gr exceeds the 150gr in terminal ballistics, past 500 yards if memory serves…

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Occam
    Occam
    Survivalist
    member2

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>RSSwizard wrote:</div>I guess its just my style.

Actually I wish I could just have the PS-90 and have 50 round mags for it and a hundred mags worth of ammunition for it too. That’s what I feel I would do best with.

Oh and I hate the AR platform with a passion, I absolutely hate the AR-15, M-16, and M-4. The only AR I could ever see myself getting is one with a .458 Socom upper.

However I do not have a gun at all and have no hope of getting one, so im just providing my own advice. I guess I have a different tactical style than most, which comes at things from a more sneaky bstrd (read: bad guy) type of approach. I do believe it works, because it focuses on close range with hand weapons, and a firearm is just a better hand weapon.

When you barely have $40 per month and you end up having to spend all of that (food comes from a food stamp card and soup kitchens), even spending $250 on a HiPoint + Mags + Ammo is hopelessly out of sight.

And the last thing anyone is going to do is give you money, so that you can buy a gun (nevermind the fact that in illinois you need a stupid firearms id and I dont got that either, which is more of an issue of not having an address to send it to rather than not being able to pass the checks).

Um. But you have Internet and a computer…?? And food stamps?

Either sarcasm is broken, or I’m looking for an extra **** to give.

undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

@Occam

Does your BS Detector go off on that posting? lol

Maybe it is his form of OPSEC, to throw off the NSA Trolll-BotZ ;)

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 138 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.