Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

http://m.toledonewsnow.com/toledonewsnow/pm_132004/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=rSPQhwV5

Okay, maybe not so bad but its bad enough for those not prepared.

Water that can’t be drunk, not even by boiling.

Bet they wish they had a bit put back.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Heh… No ****… this stuff is caused by blue-green algae blooms. As far as I can tell, it’s just something that occurs in nature and happens to be poisonous to plants and animals – including us.

Weird. Never heard of it before. And apparently, those in charge actually knew this particular blue-green algae bloom was coming, since they predicted it peaking in September…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microcystin

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Real bad. This is why we prepare. This can happen anywhere.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Yup a known factor, happens off and on.

There are different algae blooms around the world, some worse than others.

This kind is particularly nasty.

The funny part, was working on my rain catchment system and then saw this.

Profile photo of johnnymac
    johnnymac
    Survivalist
    member2

My ex-wife used to tease me about keeping a supply of drinking water on-hand (12-15 gallons at the time) until an incident occurred. We were living in a close-in suburb of Washington DC, and our drinking water came from a plant in DC fed by the Potomac. A brief, but heavy storm system upriver from DC caused an increase in turbidity (muddiness) of the in-flow, and it overwhelmed the pre-treatment filtration system, allowing a lot of organic material to pass into the chlorination stage of the water treatment. Too much organic material in water decreases the effectiveness of the chlorine and other disinfectants used to treat drinking water. A “boil water” alert was given by the PTB.

I heard the news as I was making my afternoon commute home, and stopped by a grocery store for a few items. While I was there, I picked up an additional 20 liters of water (in case my elderly neighbors would need it). I spent about another 25-30 minutes doing the rest of my shopping. When I went to check-out, I passed through the beverage aisle, and it was now half-emptied of bottled water (just in that half hour). News reports later that evening showed video, after video, of empty shelves in supermarkets in the area.

When I got home, I saw that my wife had already brought out one of the stored water containers in order to mix-up some formula for our infant. I asked if she would have rather spent time boiling tap-water, then letting it cool, to make formula since she had described my water storage as “paranoia”. The look on her face was priceless.

She didn’t agree with me about many other things related to even small-scale prepping. I guess that’s one of the reasons she’s my EX-wife.

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Glad I saw this!

We have a good bit of H2O put aside, but the only way you can have too much is if you stack or stock one item at the expense of others.
    BALANCE!!! :D

Thx Bro. WHIRLI!

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Whirlibird, How are you doing with the rain water system? I am thinking of do some 65 gallon rain barrels, maybe 4. I also have a hand well pump + stored about 300 gallons right now.

I like the idea of having the three options. I also have many water filters, one reason is Miami, Florida is full of pools lakes and rivers.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Well finished it yesterday, filled it to test the connections, still need an overflow but its 30 gallons to start.

Well it rained today, I quickly emptied the tanks with a bucket, I need to put the hose end on the spigot to make this easier. But picked up about 4 gallons of water for my effort. More rain this week.

I also need to cut in an attachment for a boat pump, this bucket brigade stuff is for the birds.

Need to find a matching food grade container to stack on the tote to get an equal amount of potable water just in case.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Great Whirlibird, The job looks great. Keep us updated.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

This is a good reminder for people with wells, like me to test yr well water at least 3 times a year. Many times it may seem ‘fine’… and isn’t. Also u might consider testing yr household town water if on the mains too…might be surprised at results. Many kits on web or local health deptoften will test for u 4 nominal fee.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Unlike during the West Virginia water crisis you can at least still touch the water…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Elk_River_chemical_spill

This is a good reminder for people with wells, like me to test yr well water at least 3 times a year. Many times it may seem ‘fine’… and isn’t. Also u might consider testing yr household town water if on the mains too…might be surprised at results. Many kits on web or local health deptoften will test for u 4 nominal fee.

Absolutely agree. Could you share what exactly you test for and what kind of kit you use?

We brought our water to a local university to get a couple of things done. I will write the details about this once I get back home to Asia.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Jay – I have a whole house water softening and filtration system which is a PIA because I have to change filters every 6 weeks or more, if we have lots of rain. It filters out fine sediment particles, removes the sulpher smell etc. Every other time I change the filters (every 12 weeks) I send a well sample to our health department. Mostly I am concerned for the e coli, coliform, nitrates and gasoline. (Here int he country you’d be surprised at how casual people are with gas/diesel. They just dump/empty it and motor oil on the ground – wherever. Since a neighbor stopped running cattle and dumping dried human waste sludge on his fields I am a little less anxious about the water.

Here’s a great link to the subject of water for private wells and if you click on the left of the page – water for humans in general. Good education. Need to know this stuff peeps. – or at least be aware.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

tweva, great info that I had not been thinking about. I only use the well water to water plants right now but in the future if there is a SHTF I may have to use it for drinking so I need to buy many of these kits to store.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Thanks a lot for the details Tweva. We are in the same boat. We also have a complete filtration system. Did you ever try some home testing kits? It would be just nice to not always have to send stuff to the local university (its not that cheap too).

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.