Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Unfortunately, many people will learn about dog packs the hard way. I expect post-SHTF that dogs will be hunted as if they were game.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Mtbiker, yep ultimately they will be viewed as food. Some people will be eating rats and humans too.

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Against dogs in general, it pays to have an “Alpha Dog” demeanor.
    I once had to face down a german shepherd that wanted to eat her cocker spaniel.
    We were not in it’s territory, which helped. I was not armed, or it would have been dead ;)

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Dogs are scum , never liked them ., for the same reason I dont like street gangs . I have told many females to leave the dog at the shelter and buy a gun if they are that frightened of life . It would serve them better . Firepower and electronics . In modern society , a dog is not allowed in many everyday places , a concealed firearm can go with you almost anywhere . It used to be cats that hospitality chains would not allow , now dogs are the enemy , for reasons of sanitation ( many people wont pick up their animals poop ) for noise reasons , and for liability of attack by the animal . In many hotel/ motel chains , cats are allowed but dogs are not , as cats are easily contained , and cats do not attack people for no reason ….dogs do . Like pointed out by other members , in a post SHTF situation , they may turn into a source of meat to those in bad shape . I can see the need to shoot feral dogs out of hand , for reasons of safety and security . The Gestapo ( law enforcement ) are already shooting peoples pets without justification , in a SHTF situation , pet owners need to expect that their pet will be targeted by several elements of society . After all , dogs are a layer of security , and once eliminated , makes you more vulnerable to surprise . They are also easy to eliminate , as they are not all that smart , they will rarely take cover , but rather just stand there and bark or look …………pack animals generally have a lower animal IQ vs. solitary predator animals , like say a mountain lion or leopard . Pack animals are also pretty sloppy , and go for a full frontal assault and not much else , whereas solitary predators will use well practiced tactics , and will also recon its prey , rather than just react . This is kind of interesting , and not practical for most of us , but I knew an Animal Control officer . It was a small town , and they allowed him to wear a chainmail shirt under his uniform . It looked very cool , it was long sleeved and went to his knees . It weighed in at 35 pounds , but he told me that it saved him from having to get a rabies shot on more than one occasion .

undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

@Tolik

If I had just let that shepherd eat the cocker, I’d have saved well over $1,000 dollar-bux in the ensuing years… But I would have had to conjure up some tears or I’d have been S.O.L. for sex for a long long time!

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

undeRGRond , LOL , I hear ya . the power of the P has us all do things we would rather not .

undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

So, you agree,

KITTY > Canine ? ;)

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Lol underground. Yeah kitties have been the downfall of many an empire. It started in the garden of Eden :) .
    One thing to keep in mind with dogs is the whole alpha male thing at least on a one on one basis.in packs you are pretty much sol if you aren’t armed. Standing your ground definitely helps. Most dogs when by themselves wait until they find a weakness then attack. If you retreat it shows fear, stand your ground and now they have to find a different approach. Pits and some other breeds are sometimes the exception. If you are attacked and you can get the dog on its back you can often turn the tide. Being on their backs is a submissive position and by you being on top puts doubts in the dogs mind as to who is in charge. It also takes their leverage away and helps minimize damage if they have your arm in their mouth. You can then grasp or strike the throat. The dog usually will let go when it can’t breath. The throat is also where most animals attack going for a kill. Now that you are attacking the dogs throat he knows you are trying to kill it. He is now trying to survive not get a meal and will most likely try to get away from you.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Thanks for the info matt76. Something more to file away in the recesses of my mind.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.