Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

I encourage everyone to discuss and share their basic bug out or bug in plans. This way you help others to refine their plans and you get valuable feedback from fellow survivalists & preppers what you could improve.

Bugging out means you leave your current place to a safer place and bugging in means you stay where you are and make the best out of the situation.

Our bug out plan

We (wife and me, no kids yet) have basically three layers in our plan. It is a mix between bugging in (at our homestead which is already a decent bug out location) and bugging out (in case things get worse).

1. Hopefully good enough

We are living most of the time at our homestead close to a small village and in an area where people also dish out their own justice since centuries and still do today. There is little to no crime because everyone knows each other and punishment is hard and swift. Whenever new people are in the area (even now) neighbors know about this and this information spreads like a wildfire. The community even kicked out companies that were no desired and so on…

We work with the community and try to establish us as valuable community members. The area is also very rural and poor and people get by with very little.

We still have to get to know the local dynamics more to know how long we are going to stay in the area before we bug out. We should be able to get through a slow decline or economic collapse pretty well at our homestead.

2. Better safe than sorry

If things get too crazy in our area or we do not get treated as equals in our local community (for whatever reason) we bug out.

We have a way not everyone has to get to a place in a densely forested area where we can hide out for a limited amount of time. Im under no illusion that long term survival out in the woods with little resources is pretty hard and next to impossible and staying hidden from everyone is probably not what we want forever. Over the next year I will keep building, stocking up and making this place more comfortable (so we have resources for at least a few weeks).

This place is on land owned by the government and not for sale. This is another reason why it is a good spot to hide but also why we can’t build proper structures there and we will not before we have to. When I speak about making the place more comfortable it basically means burying caches of food and basic resources.

3. Long term survival

If we realize SHTF won’t be over anytime soon we move on. We have a group of ecologically minded “hippies” a days walk from our homestead.

They already live of the land and are pretty nice people. We will join them in case of any long term unrest. Our skills and personal connections should be enough to convince them to take us on.

They are not too crazy about the love and peace thing and basically just very practical minded people, so I believe they will quickly understand that in a world without law you have to take care of your own safety and cant trust everyone. As with most groups, there are many factors that could cause problems and are unpredictable but everyone needs a group for long term survival and this is our best option at the moment.

Any thoughts and suggestions? Or maybe just get your favorite drink and sit down and share your bug out or bug in plan with us!

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Bugging In:

One because I don’t have a second property, and two I think anywhere else will have similar issues to solve.  It there is no EMP theoretically a person could easily drive 1000 in a day. So if the population starts to move there will be no “oasis” as long as there are roads that go to your spot.

The plan is to defend:

Use of flanking maneuvers combined with preset firing positions/lanes and other defensive installations. This allows us to shoot run – shoot as needed and not become trapped and or out flanked.  We are using the house as a movement channeling device creating firing lanes on each side. Anyone that gets into the house will be SOL with no place to hide, plus bobby traps. Sentries and other perimeter devices will be employed to prevent ambushes and sneak attacks.

If we have to run:

I’m moving everything I can into a cargo van that will be hidden and positioned for escape. No path will be available to other vehicles to follow.  I have a series of logging paths and farm lanes to use to bypass my own planned road blocks.  I have some short term hiding places not to far from home. We will reorganize using the van as a storage/base.  We each have a bicycle that we can fall back to if forced away from the van or is otherwise incapacitated.  We can return to the house after it is all clear or play king of the hill.

Bugging Out: There has to be a good reason to go far and not it until the population was settled a bit.

I’m not certain how this event would present itself but we have alternative route options mostly to go south toward warmer weather. We could go north or west but what would be the advantage?  I’m figuring cars will not be involved for a multitude of reasons.

I expect a lot of nighttime moves maybe on foot or small boats (concealable by day).  Boats are a real problem if seen, you are literally a sitting duck on the water. However water provides some areas inaccessible to most people and offers foraging opportunities as well as fish, foul and game that are not combined inland. Canoes and other small boats can carry big loads that would be impossible to move on foot.  There are a lot of it depends on ………….unknown.

(Edited to fix formatting)

Profile photo of stillacitizen2
    stillacitizen2
    Survivalist
    member1

Bugging In

We have a large family with three under the age of 13, with six of our children still in the home. The amount of supplies that we would need to pack is burdensome at best, and we have no secondary location to go to that is “ours”. Though we live in a rural county surrounded by salt and freshwater, dense forests, and mountains, I can only assume that those bugging out, would head for the same places I would want to go. Egress is also an issue as we would be fundamentally landlocked due to living on a peninsula. Routes around bridges to leave the peninsula are primarily two lane “country roads” and would either be clogged with those fleeing toward the mountains, or blocked by those looting.

Defense

I live halfway up a hill overlooking a valley in an urban area with a population of roughly 35k. I walk and bike the area frequently, have maps and aerial photos, and have marked all local resources such as commercial buildings, stores and services they offer, even an active fuel depot that most people don’t even know exists, less than a mile away. I know every street, alley, cut through, short cut, dead end, hiding spot and elevation within a 15 block radius like the back of my hand. Due to the construction of my home and the elevation of my property, it is easily defensible, with several routes out if I need to, and offers me a concealed and elevated shooting platform with nearly 180 degrees of view. I have several neighbors that I have plans with to initiate defense of the neighborhood, which due to its layout, is a relatively easy task. We have three streets that actually feed into the area, and once those were secured, we would have roughly ten square blocks secured from movement with the exception of those that were in the containment area. We can lock it up pretty tight with little effort. Most people will either leave, perish due to medical related conditions, or become victims of violent crime. A group that would try to enter our domain would be making a tragic mistake.

Movement

A bicycle is my primary method of mobility for recon and security. Quick and quiet, they can be hidden nearly anywhere until needed, are able to negotiate the narrowest of openings and can easily negotiate obstacles whether ridden around or carried over them. I use a bike for security patrols on a 29+ acre school campus, mixed with woods and trails, and it is a very effective tool. It is also useful in ferrying supplies to and from, especially if scavenging. And it uses no fuel. It is easily repaired and maintained, parts can be easily scavenged, and with a handful of general tools, and a couple of specialized ones, there isn’t much that can’t be fixed. replaced or repaired on a bicycle.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

BTT

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Last year we relocated full time to what was the bug out location, and at this point we don’t have anyplace else to go. None of our friends and family are better situated than we are. If anything others would seek us out. I’m pretty fit for my age (early 60’s) and could strike out on foot if I had to, but my wife isn’t as healthy or fit as I am, She couldn’t do it and so where we are is where we are come what may. My son who lives 100 miles away plans to come to my place if he can make it. It is for these reasons that I keep chipping away at improving upon the ability to be somewhat self sufficient on my property if it comes to that.

I live in a small valley that has only one paved road coming through it, and 4 narrow dirt roads coming into it. The hamlet could easily be isolated from vehicular traffic by dropping a few trees. Pretty much every household is armed and my plan is to help organize the neighborhood for mutual aid,both for security and skills/resource assistance. Small town New England culture still carries echos from our Puritan forebears where everyone was accountable to and responsible for the community. Committees and volunteers generally run things and that culture will lend itself well to dealing with the realities of post-SHTF living.

We bought the place going on 5 years ago now, and from the start my plan was to establish myself as a valued member of the community who had something to offer and at the same time works towards improving upon self sufficiency capabilities. I’m happy with what I’ve accomplished on both fronts, and will continue chipping away at it..

On the security issue, as noted already we can easily cut off vehicular traffic and foot traffic too coming by road,but there is a lot of empty forest around us which would be difficult to fully secure if folks wanted to hike in over the mountains on either side of the valley. I don’t know the answer to that, or even if anyone would go to the trouble vs going for easier targets elsewhere.

The other thing I haven’t an answer for yet is were we to drop trees to block access, where do we do that? That effectively sets the boundaries of “us” vs “them” but the reality is as you radiate out from the core part of the hamlet it isn’t that it becomes unpopulated so much as the houses get fewer and further apart.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

MTB,
    Positioning the barricades should in places that cannot be driven around and provide hidden flanking positions. To be effective they will need sentries. If you cannot protect your total perimeter or have alarms doing the same you have issues to solve. Non moveable objects will make for the best barricades, something a truck cannot pull out of the way.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

74, as I do walks around the neighborhood I will start looking at locations from that perspective. The lay of the land here affords many options for good barricade locations.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Make sure there are no wider go arounds from farther back on the road.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

74, as I think on it, whereas there is too much forested ground for a small hamlet to muster the resources to adequately patrol in full, the likely ways anyone would travel through the woods would be on old logging roads and the remnants of old farm roads left over from colonial days before the forest grew back. That’s exactly what my friends and I look for if exploring for new places to ride our mountain bikes. Regretfully I don’t know the woods around here like I did the ones where I used to live,but the locals here do. Some of them even know my property better than I do from their hunting as kids.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

You guys will need motion detection in the woods. Fishing line and noisemakers etc. The number of people you need starts to climb dramatically as you add sentry posts. A good read for you is Failure of Civility and their reasoning regarding defense of rural versus urban settings. You will need point to point radios, plus more. Sneaky people will not use roads or paths once then know they are watched. I could hunt you in the woods and you would never see or hear me or differentiate me from wildlife. Rain and/or wind completely denies listening for noise as a means of detection.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

My primary bug out location is no more. After fighting mice and then snakes the ceiling in a bedroom became the floor! Owner came and condemned the building. I am moving to my secondary location. It is about 12 miles away and on a creek that feeds this river. All my buried preps will stay in place and this location will now be my secondary BOL. I get the chance to visit my old methods and see if they can be improved.
    Want to make God laugh? Say you have plans!!
    Robin

Profile photo of Ogre206
    Ogre206
    Survivalist
    member2

this is my basic plan
    first of all I live in a suburban area very close to a hospital (with-in walking distance) and a storage area (practically in my back yard and its walled)
    I’ll get my friends together (who are loyal AF) to make up the security part of my “compound” and since my house isn’t capable of keeping three families in it, I’ll have to have them stay in the office of the storage compound (which is just as big and their families are very small compared to mine and if need be I’ll stay there with them too.
    We will last off of the supplies I have (not enough for three families gonna need to get more) which I predict will last one month. after that we will start looting whatever is useful in the storage compound ( It’s survival we are talking here)
    and bug out to the near-by mountains, looting whatever is left in the stores (I doubt there will be much) along the way.
    once we are in the wilderness we can start farming with the seeds I have and scout the near-by mountain towns.
    after that I have no clue what to do.

Profile photo of Ogre206
    Ogre206
    Survivalist
    member2

@ 74

Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

In my household we got together last October and I put on a powerpoint presentation. I categorized disasters as category 1 or category 2: based upon the response they would warrant.

Category 2 were less severe natural disaster, etc. We decided 70 days of food and supplies should be adequate. Category 1 represented massive disasters that would bring about a complete stoppage of society, aka SHTF.

Bugging In

In case of a nasty storm, riots, moderate collapse or whatever the case may be, we are prepared to bug in for 70 days, if not more. We have a lot of supplies in our basement stockpile, and plenty of firearms and ammunition to go with them. In these scenarios we don’t anticipate too much in the way or armed intruders, but we’re ready for them should they arrive. The plan is simply to get everybody home and hunker down. We will move our cars into a parking lot that is behind the school, across the street, and turn all the lights off and pretend nobody is home. If things are more severe, we will…

Bug Out

Our Bugout plan is to first assemble everyone at home. Once assembled (and likely even before that) we will begin loading up the vehicles with everything that we can. This is something we intend to practice at least a few times. We will then head to our bugout location. It is a 4 hour drive away, but is absolutely ideal. There, we will set up a perimeter, etc.

Secondary location is 2 hours south, to an Uncle’s property. Has good hunting grounds and a nice pond. Could be turned into a pretty good homestead.

If we can’t get out of the city (say, for example, DHS locks us down) I discovered a reasonable location this summer, within 20 minute walking distance. It is an old, thick, stone building, been abandoned for years. Has ideal defensive characteristics with thick stone walls and small slot windows on the second floor. Plenty of room, but not so much that it is indefensible.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Whitenight,
    What will you do for water if you have to move into the city BOL?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.