Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews
    Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

The disparity of force argument is outdated. If you manage to stop a sudden attack by an unarmed mugger with a gunshot to his head you should be awarded a Medal. The law however has been changed to protect the attacker and make gun owners criminals.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by Profile photo of Brulen Brulen.
    Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

Thanks 74 for posting, hope you guys enjoy this guest article!

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Brulen,
    It seems that way from the news outlets, however the state you are in makes a huge difference. States with castle laws provide much more legal protection then other states.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Toby,
    I did indeed enjoy Rory’s article. I have been hearing about hesitation since forever and how villains do not hesitate because they have no concern for the law. A law abiding citizen will hesitate to measure his own action. The real world is more complicated then this concept and criminal minds suffer from as many decision problems as anyone else. They may not be concerned about braking the law but they do fear pain and suffering. Their attack can be stopped if you detect the ambush and disrupt their plan. This moment creates hesitation on their part giving you a chance to alter the encounter. The criminal wants frozen rabbits for dinner not a mean dog.

Keep your distance beyond striking distance and it will thwart the ambush. At least you can see it coming and act.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Hesitation comes from reaction, not action.
    Hence not seeing hesitation from an attacker who has made a conscious decision.

Hesitation comes when our OODA loop gets reset by another’s actions.
    Once you catch up in the loop, is it react and act, or freeze because of the lack of knowledge or training.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Whirly,
    Precisely, that’s why it’s important to disrupt the attackers initial plan and make them react to you.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

KIAI… Very loudly
    A simple time tested method invented by the Japanese.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous
    Survivalist

One of the many things I brought with me from flying, despite years since piloting a plane, is an intense appreciation for regular, frequent practice, and variety in situations. I could not afford to fly often enough anymore to be safe, so I simply don’t. I had the luxury of flying every single day, usually with multiple students, across all phases of flying. I’d stack my skills against almost any pilot (as would most any instructor pilot in that type of setting), simply because of the daily practice, practice, practice. One can’t get good at something and then put it on the shelf until it’s needed again some day – it simply will not be the same.

Once while still a student I got word that our old ROTC commander from college would be visiting our base. He was an accomplished WWII pilot who’d also flown the Berlin Airlift. He was long since retired by the time he visited, and I got the opportunity to show him around because of my old association with him in college. He could not wait to try his hand at the old “Link Trainer.” He crashed, time after time after time. Yet he’d flown in horrible instrument conditions during WWII 25 years earlier. It was a very humbling experience for a very proud man, sadly.

Nothing has changed for the rest of us – use it frequently, or lose it. “Head knowledge” doesn’t count in an emergency, nor does old experience. Practice, practice, practice, and more practice, as long as you live – and regularly, and frequently, whether you THINK you need it or not. That way you keep up with where you are now at minimum. Again: use it or lose it.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

GS

I tried to do one of the 3D zombie shooting games awhile ago. It was horrible. I couldn’t get a feel for any of it. It was like waking up in a dream and being unable to do things. The reality was all slowed down or wrong somehow. No emotion, no idea of strategy. Shoot move repeat over and over again.
    About the best training I can do these days is keeping in mind various scenarios and planning what to do: hunker down, BO, or exfiltrate home. And then there are variations of those. It’s always a question of what ….what can I carry and how well prepped i am for the event. How big is it and the response. Freak out or lay back and wait. Man made or natural.
    As for physical activity, I get lots of it during the day. There is some training I’d like to spend more time on but can’t because the necessities of daily life intervene. Shopping repairing book work business. Sometimes I think it’s amazing we do anything in relation to our development. It’s work work work all the time. We’re wealthy and poor at the same time. 100 years ago I think people had more free time than we do now.
    So I’ve developed my own method. It’s called the 2 and 5 minute training pause. It can be done almost anytime. Just stop and think or do an action. Play a game with yourself. What would you do if….
    Well …. what would you do?
    Funny huh, just heard a big bang and the emergency siren is going off. Running for the scanner. Only a two car MVA. Personal injury, one subject trapped.
    Reality hits. Gotta go to work anyway. See what’s going on.

Second siren in 6 hours btw. First one was 3am. House fire down the road. Gutted I think.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by Profile photo of Brulen Brulen.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.