Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Been gathering parts for another AR.
    A couple here, couple there.
    Ended up a stripped upper and barrel shy of a complete gun.
    The upper was ordered and barrels considered.

Already had the bolt carrier group, so unless I wanted to spend more money, it was going to be based on the .223 head size.

Went back and forth on what to get, as the .223 is legal for deer and antelope here, it’s not for elk.

Seriously considered the .25 Sharps (.25-45) but barrel and die prices are offensive. Same for 6×45.

Some serious penciling had me coming back again and again to two options, the .223 and the .300 Blackout.

Well I finally pulled the pin and ordered a barrel, the Blackout won out.

The ability to play with the heavy bullets moving slow (accurately) was definitely a consideration.
    But the high velocity loadings were what eventually swayed me.
    The bigger bullet makes me miss the .308 full power rifles less with its approximation of the AK round.

So the Serendipity?
    Going back and forth from website to website, checking out vendors, I was originally considering an M4 type barrel, light and ‘dynamic’.
    I had forgotten that I had placed a heavy barrel in the shopping cart while considering them all.

You guessed it, I ended up ordering the HB, and it shipped before I noticed. The company was completely willing to exchange them despite it being my mistake.
    I ended up deciding to run with the HB, despite the need for a different gas block than I had considered, it having an .875″ ID, it limited my choices. But one was ordered, the hand guard retaining plate opened up to .875″.

I couldn’t wait and took the gun out for a testfire last Sunday. With no gas block, I just used it like a straight pull rifle.
    Despite the impromptu rest and 4x scope, I still shot under 1.5″ at 125y.
    That’s initial shots, no break in, no cleaning other than a bore snake to make sure there wasn’t any extra junk in the barrel.

I already am impressed with the barrel, the round and I think that “my” .223 will find its way to the wife’s side of the closet until her AR is done as her AK is going away, just doesn’t work for our needs.

With how well this one is working, hers may become a Blackout also, just the light barrel version. We shall see.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

It always makes me laugh , when people describe ” slow ” bullets . Define slow . AlI I know is that any of them can move a hell of a lot faster than I can . A 45 is considered ” slow ” , but will knock the crap out of anything it hits . Don’t claim to be an expert , but its always amusing to hear people talk about that . I would accept a shotgun slug being described as slow…ish . Only because if you hit the right angle filming somebody shooting one , you can actually see it ( briefly ) . Your right though , environment , and intent of the weapon , defines what a person chooses . AK is my first choice , reason for my needs are that I plan to use it in the deep dark Forrests in Maine , your not going to get a clear shot at anything if your not almost on it . Not to mention , that it will accept a certain amount of filth and neglect . If I feel that I’m going to be trapped in town , then my FAL will fit . AR would be good also ( But I don’t have one ) Either way , its always fun building any platform to your needs .

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Slow is perspective.
    The “high velocity” load for the BO is literally going half the speed of my old .220 Swift and not quite 2/3 the speed of the AR/.223 and the .270.
    It’s literally going the sae speed as my old .45-70 maxed out.
    So slow fits.

That lack of speed means a shorter range and looping trajectory. Same as the AK round essentially, just built for more accuracy.

But out here, that lack of range is a consideration.
    As well as the lack of muscle.
    The .300 works well on deer and we shall see on antelope. But elk? Not even sure its legal, I am checking on that. For a while, the mid-bore guns will prevail for the bigger game.

Basically I am looking at the gun as an underpowered .30-30 that is really compact if a bit chunky.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

I hear ya , I would love to have an FN SCAR , but not cost effective for most of us . The others have been around so long , that a person can customize them to most anything they need , for not as much comparatively , thats why AKs and ARs rule .for now . Sense the threat of the Soviet Union is gone , FN has gotten greedy once again .

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.