Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Rowan McDirk
    Rowan McDirk
    Survivalist
    member3

My view:

First fight is not letting your guard down and don’t let yourself be surprised. It’s the same thing you do while driving your car, just being on foot.

If you get surprised try to avoid confrontation. Any confrontation is a game of chance, being trained makes you have a higher chance but it never means you can’t loose. If it is a social fight, swallow your pride and give in. If it is about resources, give them your phone or yout wallet. The money you’ll pay in court will be more than is in your wallet.

Second fight: confrontation itself. You cannot avoid or give in, you have to defend yourself.

I trained kickboxing for 2 years, I liked the movement and footwork. I don’t like hitting a skull with a bare fist, too much chance of breaking the hand or having a wound by your opponents teeth (these can cause dangerous infections). Use soft part of the hand against hard target, use hard part against soft targets. I don’t like high kicks, kicks no higher than the knee. if you kick higher a opponent can take advantage of that and work you to the ground. Don’t ever kick towards a knife.

Krav Maga is good but it all depends on the instructor.

Systema is good but I don’t seem to have the body or relaxedness to train it. It might take a while ’till you get it right.

I trained Western Martial Arts for several years. Quite useless in our modern world but I learned footwork, distance and familiarity with handheld weapons. You’d be amazed how much people can disarm an opponent in training and don’t know what to do with the weapon next. If you want to fight an armed opponent, you should know the weapon he holds better than he does.

Don’t train a lot of different techniques. Find out what works easily and naturally for you and excell in that, you should learn a system instead of an art . Train in small groups, one teacher cannot see all mistakes a group makes. If you train a mistake it is hard to train it right again. Be skeptical about what you learn and what you are told. If it doesn’t feel right or is complicated, it probably isn’t and you won’t be able to do it under stress without a lot of training. If a trainer or master can’t stand your  questions you should train elsewhere.

Third fight: legal fight. Make sure you know your laws and don’t cross them while defending yourself. It’s of no use defending yourself against a criminal, being fined, imprisoned and having to pay the hospital costs and work costs of the criminal.

Find a lawyer that has defended innocent persons who defended themselves, know what you can do and how far you can, be the first one to call the emergency services, don’t lie to the police but watch out what you say.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Best defense system is to attack first, take the opponent by the surprise, everything is allowed. From the experience- man who gives first punch is usually winner.

Yea, even one step before is not letting yourself in situation when you gonna need to fight, just avoid. It is cheaper not to fight, in normal times it can cost you money and lawyers, in SHTF time it can cost you life.
    Every fight is gonna hurt you, even the fight where you win fast will leave some “marks” on you, just avoid if you can.
    If not then use every dirty trick to finish the guy fast, use advantage of any weapon, forget the “fair” fights, real world is not school yard.

bushrat
    bushrat
    Survivalist
    member4

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Selco wrote:</div>
    Best defense system is to attack first, take the opponent by the surprise, everything is allowed. From the experience- man who gives first punch is usually winner. Yea, even one step before is not letting yourself in situation when you gonna need to fight, just avoid. It is cheaper not to fight, in normal times it can cost you money and lawyers, in SHTF time it can cost you life.
    Every fight is gonna hurt you, even the fight where you win fast will leave some “marks” on you, just avoid if you can.
    If not then use every dirty trick to finish the guy fast, use advantage of any weapon, forget the “fair” fights, real world is not school yard.

Totally agree.  The world is not fair.  Might as well get used to that now.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

I believe cardio is the most imortant part of any self defense. I don’t care what fighting style you use, if you get winded in 10 to 20 seconds your in trouble. The fatigue starts before the first punch ever gets thrown. When your adrenaline starts to pump at the first sign of danger your breathing and heart rate increase. It is the bodies natural instinct for fight or flight. If you have been around many street fights you know they don’t last more than about 15 to 20 seconds after the first punch gets thrown and both people are usually sucking wind when it’s over.

Great comment. This is spot on. Too often even the winner gets badly injured.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

It has been interesting to observe this year, how much I have had to modify my training due to previous injuries/over exertions coming back to haunt me… ‘Time waits for no (wo)man’ it seems….

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Toby,
    All the soft tissue injuries seem to plague us for the duration. Some of it is because we don’t rehab the injuries properly or fully and we have weakened muscles and joints. If you labor really hard for a long time the stress on your body will become more apparent with aging.

Profile photo of tukie2
    tukie2
    Survivalist
    member3

I am running into the same issues, I had knee surgery and lost half of my mobility. I have been referred to Cane fu. It has some moves that can be utilized with a w/c if someone needed it. I also started mounted archery. I lost the mobility with my knees but I have compensated by horseback. That is something you might be able to do…you may have to fix up a rig with a saddle, but it is so totally worth it….if you don’t like archery, you can do mounted shooting as well.
    I know that isn’t much when you are sitting looking to protect yourself, but it’s an idea you can expand on.
    IMO

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.