Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

It’s amazing, the power of a song, a smell, a memory.

Triggering a fond memory or nightmare.

Funny that a Walkman would be mentioned, I was listening to the radio while driving my son to practice two days ago. On the radio, Men at Work “It’s a Mistake” came on as it has countless times, but this time (probably because of the “kid” association, a memory from long ago struck me. I suddenly remembered a cousin having one of the first Walkman cassette players, with the Men at Work “Cargo” album inside. Cued up? “It’s a Mistake”. 35 years later and that little incident is still fresh in the memory. Definitely a happy time, and I think I still owe her a set of batteries. Kinda ran those dry. And suddenly my day got better.

Conversely, a while back a gent walked by me, his after shave almost made me vomit.
    It took me back to a particularly nasty sexual assault investigation. The perpetrator wore the same after shave, and lots of it. But his words suddenly filled my ears again, the description of his actions, his fantasies, all the photos on his computer, and worse yet, the victims actions and reactions.
    The evidence photos burned into my memory, the visions of the bruising and battering, the victims sobbing, all came back in nightmares for a couple of weeks.

Many times, it’s the little things that can make all the difference in the world.
    Playing a simple game of cards, music, reading a favorite book that one has read countless times. That association with “better times” or normalcy in the face of adversity and hardship.
    There’s a reason most police cars have a teddy bear in the trunk, to help kids deal with adversity and tragedy.
    One may not think of a teddy bear as survival gear, but it can be as important for someones mental survival as a knife and ferro rod for wilderness survival.

Little things like a cup of cocoa, a charged iPod, a jigsaw puzzle, can make misery bearable.

Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

There is so much here, I hardly want to begin – because I don’t want to risk turning this into half of a book. Selco and Whirlibird touch on things that ONLY one who’s “been there, done that” can possibly understand fully. But that doesn’t mean others should not do their best to comprehend it (not the same thing as understanding, mind you).

Yes, there will be things that can come back and – in a completely unexpected instant – haunt you after experiencing horrific things. There’s no controlling the onset, though there can be ways of limiting the impact. Having something that was, at some time in your life, very soothing, or very enjoyable, can be almost life saving – or maybe EVEN.

When I did trauma work with clients, one of the things I learned to do was begin by having them identify the first significant thing they could think of that occurred in their lives after the trauma was all over – just a single event, not a period in their lives. It could be as simple as a really fun birthday party for one of their kids after they came home from deployment. Once described in detail (who was there, sounds, colors, textures, posture of the individual – standing, sitting, whatever), I’d then have them describe in similar detail some event in equal detailed specifics that occurred not long BEFORE the trauma (neither had to be within hours or days, but at least reasonably close, and OUT of the proximity of the traumatic event or circumstances).

Those two events became “grounding” events. There’s far more to it than that, but basically when something triggers a negative reaction (a smell, music, an image, a sound), they could be “trained” to use a trigger to go to the pleasant event just prior to the traumatic event, run through it in their minds JUST to the pleasant conclusion of the event, and then using a mental remote control, jumping forward to the pleasant scene AFTER the traumatic event, and playing that from start to finish in their minds, then coming back to the here-and-now of their current moment, thereby bypassing the trauma that had been triggered by instantly jumping backward to a prior pleasant experience, then jumping instantly forward to a pleasant experience after the trauma, and then coming back to “right now” in whatever safe place they’re in.

There’s much more to it than that, but the principle is there. While triggers can be instant and negative, we can also make sure we have triggers that can become instant and soothing or positive. And an old musical recording could indeed be one of those. Or a very pleasant smell from some childhood memory in grandma’s kitchen, or whatever. Build a list of such positive triggers, and if possible, have a way of triggering them perhaps through a small MP3 player or some such device, to suddenly play when you most need it. This may sound stupid to people who’ve never “been there, done that,” but those that understand, understand. Smells are the most powerful sensory input for triggering emotions from the past – both positive and negative. Sounds come close to the power of smells. I remember the smell of the kitchen at a cabin near a lake I went to a couple of times as a kid with my father. The cabin was occupied by the grandmother of a girl I developed a crush on one summer. While the odor itself was not particularly pleasant, it was very distinct. And more than 55 years later it brings back a very soothing memory of a girl I felt very happy around, even if only for a brief part of a summer. That sounds insignificant, but that’s the unimportant part – it’s the emotion that comes from it, and that’s all that matters. Why the smell is associated with it, does not matter in the least – it just is, and can be useful. Search your own memories for little, seemingly incidental things that are rarely even recalled – they’re there, and can be very useful. They could be just as emotionally “saving” as the negative sounds or smells (or the other 3 senses) that can send us into an emotional tailspin.

Thanks Selco and WB. Great wisdom there.

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Memories are toxic waste. But useful sometimes.

The sad truth.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by Profile photo of Brulen Brulen.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.