Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

Hi All,

Here is Selco’s latest article :) Timely, given the post election ‘protests’ happening in the US right now…

http://shtfschool.com/gangs/new-generations/

Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

It’s hard to even comment on the article, other than to say he’s got insight that few today have – particularly here in the US where none of us has experienced the kind of upheaval so many others around the world have experienced. Even our military who’ve been deployed into his area, Iraq, or Afghanistan, among others, have only seen it from the perspective of the horrors, but knowing that as long as they lived (and the vast majority did), they’d go back home to a (relatively) stable government, insulated walls and ceilings, heat, A/C, electricity, running water, and relative safety in their neighborhoods. They’ve come the closest, but didn’t have the panic of where their next meal was coming from (or even if it was coming), didn’t have to worry about protecting their families who were half a world away in relative safety. I think Selco is describing a mental/emotional preparedness that is lacking, as much as he is a lack of experiences that would help prepare us for what much of the world already understands.

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Interesting article.

Personally I feel the “modern generation” is possibly the lost generation.
    What they don’t know, what they haven’t experienced, what they have no concept of is quite terrifying.

It’s not that those of us who have seen and experienced different things are that much better, but we’ve experienced things differently.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Superb article and so very reflective of what we see everywhere. I think this is especially so for Americans given we have not seen war on our soil since the Civil War, now more than 150 years ago. Yes our military veterans and many of our current soldiers have seen war up close but that is increasingly a very small % of the population. Even then most that served in war zones did not have to worry about where their next meal was coming from and they otherwise had medical and other support vs the kind of anarchy Selco lived through. The WWII vets are almost all gone now. The Korean War vets are rapidly dying off and the Vietnam vets have begun that process too. Each year that passes there are fewer amongst us that have actually experienced war up close and personal. Our more modern day wars did not throw the vast numbers of young men into war zones such as we saw up through the Vietnam War. For the overwhelming majority of Americans, war is more theoretical than real. Other parts of the world have more of a collective memory in this regard than we do.

Throw into the mix govt. having trained the general public to just rely upon govt. for any disaster, and war, should it come to our shores, or any prolonged disruption will be worse than it had to be due to such an ill-prepared public. This is especially so for urban populations that are so far removed from any kind of practical skills and resources. I pity the current college age population that has melt downs and need safe spaces over perceived microaggressions.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

This reminds me that the siege of Sarajevo was not an anomaly. It can happen in any one of the more than 200 sanctuary cities in the USA. They are in outright defiance of the federal government. Something has to be done. Famous words of doom. “Something must be done to clean up this mess.” The idea that the good times will roll on forever if we just don’t look is the illusion we’re fighting. Trump struck a chord when he said the political class in Washington has betrayed us. People voted for real change this time. It would appear were going to get it. The battle lines are drawn.

• This reply was modified 8 months ago by Profile photo of Brulen Brulen.
    wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

We already have ‘zombies’ by the millions. Gaggles of young students crossing the street, gazing fixedly into their cell phones. Older people too…totally unaware of reality around them. Is not this a kind of ‘walking dead’??? No wonder the govt powers can get away with everything… No one is paying any attention.

And yes, Selco is so right. Most people in America would freak out and be unable to process reality if disconnected from their electronics. Remember the sci-fi “Borg Hive” scenarios??? Thank the Lord I grew up poor and know how to manage without electricity and running water. Taught what wild plants to eat. Still hunt and butcher my own meat.

The other overwhelming truth is that I fear other people more than anything else. We are living on the edge of a table that holds a fragile house of cards we think is our ‘civilization’. One more major shock and down it goes….and with it, any vestige of civility when hunger and death are stalking the land. God help us.

Profile photo of L Tecolote
    L Tecolote
    Survivalist
    member8

Wildartist, I agree. Many empires of the past came, and then died out, only to be replaced by another essentially no different in character, differing only in language spoken, or minor cultural tastes. A few, e.g., the Roman, British, and American, temporarily, at least, embodied ideas — fixed and universal law, Rights of Man — that they markedly changed what much of mankind expected from their government.

When this one collapses, and it will, many of those ideas and ideals will be set back worldwide, probably for centuries. For that matter, those concepts currently exist only in the minds and extant books of a few. It wouldn’t take much to wipe out what we think of as civilization.

Let us pass on to those who would regenerate it, as much of it as we can.

Cry, "Treason!"

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

23 skidoo, hasta la vista to America’s phony civilization. This will be a Trump-Giving to remember. Needless to say I won’t be having any of my left wing relatives over for football. We will enjoy the snow and may the big coronal hole on the sun give us fimbulvetr. Prepped and ready.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.