Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Broadside,
    Only if they have removed their uniforms, otherwise they will be bullet magnets.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

If I were reasonably local I’d immediately start walking home, with my knapsack that is always with me of course. If I was more than a day’s walk from home I’d first try going to any kind of convenience store to buy what I could ( I always keep extra cash in my vehicle) for extra food & drink and then I’d start walking towards home. Early on such stores aren’t going to know what is going on and will still accept cash.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

EMP hits..

Welp, if I’m in the town north of our farm, I’m alright. 73 Ford F250 4×4. Like Whirl, no electrics to fry. Everything’s analog. I modded the truck – took out the in-cab tank and closed off the filler hole. Dropped the spare under the tailgate and fitted a 40 gallon tank in it’s place. Also have two saddle tanks. That gives me 60 gallons, so I’m good to go, at least for awhile. My EDC is a S&W Mountain Gun in .45 Colt and one speedloader, so I got 12 rounds on me. The toolbox behind the cab carries my bugout **** – old German Army rucksack filled with the normal stuff – flashlight, spare batteries, bottled water and an empty canteen (a canteen full of water riding around in my truckbox would get nasty pretty quickly), my old tritium lensatic compass, spare socks and such, map, spare Buck 110, etc… the good stuff isn’t in the bugout ruck… it’s the pioneer tools, comealong and chains, and other assorted flotsam in the truckbox.

I don’t carry hardly any cash on me, so hitting the local stores before anyone figures out what’s going on is a bust… might have to change that some. That leaves beating a hasty retreat home, which isn’t far – only 12 miles.

Same drill for being in the little town south of us, except it’s only 10 miles home. Make my way around the stalled traffic and don’t stop for nothin’… except if I see a neighbor I know. Them I’ll give a ride to. Second thought, might stop by the local Sheriff’s Office and either clue them in if they’re clueless, or glean whatever information I can if they’re not clueless.

After that, it’s Katy bar the door.

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Thing about EMP situations and the US , or any country for that matter …….and I know I’m going to get scolded about it , but in the long run …………..it would be a good thing . Reason is , population would drop , then and only then , would lingering problems get fixed . Sometimes it takes a calamity to get things back on the correct path within a nation , when the way thing are run no longer work , then and only then is that corrected .

Pre EMP – American roads are clogged with cars and freight . Post EMP – Infrastructure is extensively built , with mass transit to all parts of the nation . Trucks are only the local boys taking freight back and forth from the train station , a car is no longer a necessity but rather a luxury ( as it was originally intended ) .

People learn to grow their own food , socialize without an electronic device , things move more slowly because fast is no longer possible . Money is now backed , etc. Through all the suffering the nation would emerge better off than what it was .

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

I think we have a lot longer than that, like 1-2 days unless you’re in the hood where they use a minor power outage as an opportunity to loot, and even then would probably just steal electronics. The general public is clueless that such a thing could even happen. All people will know right away is that they can’t check their facebook page.

This is the good thing about the EMP. Sheeple will be clueless at first. So most likely bugging out from a city is still possible without too much hassle.

Most likely I won’t be far from home so I will simply walk back (we already live at our BOL). The next step is to organize a meeting with our neighbors and the boss of the village. I will explain what just happened and how severe the situation is. These people are poor and work together for decades to overcome problems so it is pretty likely they will just think about what they have to change now.

Most of them also grew up without electronics and power and have been working the land without anything besides a water buffalo for a good part of their lives so it should not hit them that hard. Everyone grows (at least a part) of their own food as well.

Depending on the reaction in that meeting I either bug out and meet up with other foreigners in the area who work on a permaculture project or stay and try to make myself useful and help to organize the community as good as possible without looking like a smartass.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

I think I would have enough time to get to my BOL in case of EMP. I am sure that it is gonna be chaos on the street, but most of the folks need time to understand that something BIG is happen, and that there is no (easy and fast) recovery.

While they figure that, I planning to be at the safe location, where EMP does not mean chaos.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Jay & Selco, My view is that one of the only country to be targeted for an EMP is the U.S. A.

Russia, China, Iran, North Korea, and Al Qaeda are all looking into attacking the U. S. A. with an EMP attack. To many countries want to take down the U. S. A.

The problem is that they are all waiting for the right time and able to do it right so the U. S. A. is so hit hard that the U. S. A. will have a hard time attacking who did it.

I do not think a total nuclear attack is in the cards, maybe a small nuclear attack on a city from Al Qaeda is it.

But EMP attack is only a U. S. A. problem. All of those countries would want to take us down but since the U. S. A. has so much wealth in land value they since want there money that we owe them.

elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

A heads up for those who may like to know:

engineer775 Practical Preppers has released on youtube a series of very short videos today about EMP and Coronal Mass Ejection, in which he answers a number of questions people ask about these two subjects.

https://www.youtube.com/user/engineer775/videos

Bugs Bunny: "I speak softly, but I carry a big stick."
    Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

Some good stuff so far guys. It’s a good thought provoking exercise, especially when we have others who can help critique our plans/ideas.

So, now we know what we’ll initially do. What happens after the first 3-4 days into the first week or two? Do you guys have some things that you’ll have to start getting done in the first initial days post-EMP? Up your security? Gather up friends or family? Head to a bug out location? See what sort of intel you can gather from your immediate area and farther away? Start planning for some other long term things?

Of course you don’t have to go into detail, OPSEC is still important to many people. Also, I haven’t said anything about hostile people, because that is quite a varying part of the scenario. Some people could be up sh*t creek as soon as the balloon goes up, whereas others may not even have to use their self defence tools (we all hope so). But, it really depends on your area, and if you think that you will be facing that within the first week or two, then include it, and some of the things you’ll do to avoid it, or counter it, or whatever. Again, don’t break your OPSEC if you think you may breach it with some things.

Stay frosty

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Mr. Red,
    First thing once you get home if you are not home is to see if water is still running since water pressure can stay for hours after the power is down. If you have water you are going to fill up every glass, buck, coolers, anything that can hold water. Without water you are dead and even if you have water stored you still want more.

Then make sure your family is all together and have a meeting to talk about what you think just happen. Food will have to be eaten at a smaller amount per day since this may last two to five years so you will tell them of this. Then you start planning for security since thing will start getting bad two to five day into the EMP attack.

Everyone that can handle a weapon needs to for the future days or weeks from the EMP. Look into you prep cooking supplies since you will need to use that first, I like propane since I have a gas range.

So that is it for the first two days. Plan, plan and more planning for food, water, security, planting seed in the future months and other defense around the house.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

1. Activate outer perimeter alarms and other stuff!
    2. Drop the trees across the main and secondary in’s and out’s (there are other ways in for folks headed this way.)
    3. Dig up the “extra” stuff.
    4. Put the telescope up on the water tower.
    5. Check charge on Drone (little bigger than two palms large) and visual controller.
    6. Drop trees on the main/secondary paths down to the river (still other ways to and from river.)
    7. Have the first members pulling in to go to upper observer points and build their brush huts out of sight.
    8. Take the back paths (ok, cow paths) down to the community store and check for fuel/gas/propane
    if there is any remaining. (Leave a note for the owner..if he has not made it to this BOL.)
    Robin

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Something I haven’t seem mentioned here yet are nuke power plants. In particular the spent fuel pools that require power to circulate water cooling the rods. While I sure hope that the military, FEMA, or the utilities themselves have plans to prevent meltdowns following a major grid failure I have never read anything more than each nuke power facility has emergency generators with anywhere from a few days to a few weeks worth of fuel on hand. The potential for 104 Fukushimas in the US exists if those emergency generators can’t keep running in a grid down scenario. We can recover from almost anything, but not 104 Fukushimas.

There isn’t much I can personally do about the nuke power plants (other than pull out my nuk alert so as to at least know if there is a radiation issue on top of everything else) and so in the days following an EMP, I think I would focus on trying to help organize neighbors for mutual aid and protection. Being few take preparedness seriously, for most of us, organizing the neighborhood before TEOTWAWKI is just not possible. Additionally, few of us are in a position to go it alone either. In my case this is why I picked a BOL in a small hamlet rather than in an isolated setting. There is safety in number so to speak, and collectively a much deeper set of skills. It is also why I picked a neighborhood of farmers and working class folks with practical skills rather than a higher end setting of second homes for urban folks.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Many factors caused the disasters in Japan: Loss of electricity, contamination of cooling pools with salt water, misplacement of back-up generators (they were flooded out due to tsunami) and management that did not want to make the hard decisions (flood containment pools with salt water, ask for help, putting profits before people.) Loss of electricity due to EMP will cause a SCRAM (auto-shutdown) of the reactors in the US.
    Robin

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

MountainBiker, We are not sure if even the nuclear power plants will have enough fuel for more the two weeks, but I do know that almost all military vehicles will still work in a EMP attack so the question is do they have any plans to refuel the generators if the generators work since the generators do have wiring and electronic starter. That is a big question. But I thing someone knows this and they have some type of plans I hope.

I think the real problem will be the used fuel rods which need to stay cool. Robin is right that the reactors have an auto shutdown so that takes care of the plant but some of these nuclear plants have a lot of used fuel rods, so that is were I hope the military has some type of plans.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

MountainBiker,
    Nuclear power plants and spent fuel rods were discussed in a previous thread:

http://community.shtfschool.com/forums/topic/nuclear-plants-in-shtf/

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.