Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

I’ve been mulling this idea over for a little while now and I figured that it’d be pretty cool to see what all of you would do given a certain scenario. This initial thought experiment will be based on an EMP event (which is NOT the start of a nuclear war, just an EMP). It will also be based on this time of year, not say, the dead of winter.

Here is what you know;

– You’re not home (either at work, in your vehicle or mean of transport, or out at lunch).
    – It’s the noon rush hour.
    – Many cars suddenly stop, lights are out, signs don’t work.
    – You have whatever your EDC happens to be.

So, many things just stopped working, and you aren’t home. You’ve just assumed that it’s an EMP, what are your next steps?

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

I would grab my EDC and other things from my car. Get into the woods or a place of concealment. I would then settle in and see what happens. Once things settle down some I then would hike to my home/BOL. I do not take trips out of the county except to go to a close town/city and that is under 30 miles. Usually I am in the area of where I live/have my BOL.
    Robin

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Robin,
    I think if I realize that it is EMP I’m going to move fast and not wait for things to get ugly. Move to my first objective before everyone figures it out. For at least a hour loads of people will still be standing around scratching their heads and complaining about their cars not working. They don’t even know what EMP is. I might start keeping my bike in the van at all times so I have a relatively fast mode of transportation at hand.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Robin,

My bug out bag in my car would be the first thing I would get. I have a bottle of water and some energy bars. A change of shoes, knife and other weapons in my bag. I would start walking home since I know 90% of the people out there do not know what is happening so you have 3 to 4 hours before all hell starts.

Do not try to start explaining to everyone what just happen, just go home. If asked just say you do not know and keep going home.

Once you get home first turn on the water to see if it is still working and if it is fill all containers, glasses anything that can hold water. By now you should have food stored but you will always need more water. After you have filled everything start securing your home as if it is an EMP you already know it maybe a very long time before the electricity comes back.

I hope this same plan has been told to every member of your family so if they are at work or on the road they are now home or walking home to help you with all the planning.

Now is the time to take out all of your supplies for cooking and lighting. Remember that lights are to be used ONLY the first two to three days. After that be careful not to attract criminals that want your stocks.

So that is my plan.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

I work as a gunsmith.
    I jump in the pickup (old beater, no electronics)
    After grabbing ammo and whichever guns I feel like dragging home.
    I drive less than 2 miles, picking up the kids on the way home.
    By now, someone may have noticed what happened, maybe.

I get home, let the dogs out, unload the pickup and sit back and relax until the wife gets home. The Sheriffs department will be bringing them home by horseback or snowmobile, depending on the season.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

To make things a little clearer:
    “Get into the woods or a place of concealment. I would then settle in and see what happens.”
    I do not plan to stay there all day or night. The worst thing I can do to myself is to jump up and start hauling ass. I want to see where people are going. I plan to go in the opposite direction and then turn back to where I need to start the trip home. I do not want anyone around me when I do this. Over many years of doing stuff I have trained myself to not get in a hurry. I can sit all day or night if I must.
    Jumping up in the middle of a Sh*t Storm will get you hurt!
    Robin

Profile photo of Broadside
    Broadside
    Survivalist
    member3

Grab my bag from the car and start hoofing it to home. I then retrieve my little one from school via bicycle. The wife will have to hoof it home as well.

Once everyone has rallied at home (hopefully) we hunker down and focus on food, water, shelter. I may break out the range cards and sandbags for my windows at that point and start getting everybody moved in to the basement. This house is far from ballistic rated.

freedom said: I know 90% of the people out there do not know what is happening so you have 3 to 4 hours before all hell starts

I think we have a lot longer than that, like 1-2 days unless you’re in the hood where they use a minor power outage as an opportunity to loot, and even then would probably just steal electronics. The general public is clueless that such a thing could even happen. All people will know right away is that they can’t check their facebook page.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Broadside, it all depends on were you are and what city or rural area. In South Florida it will be 3 to 4 hours maybe a little longer in small places but no more since there are many people that live 10 to 30 miles from there home so when they see that every car and bus is not working and they can’t walk home that easy then there will be trouble ever were and no police to take care of the problem.

Any cars or trucks that are from 1975 on down will work but how are you going to go though streets that are full of cars and trucks that do not work and the sidewalks are full of people. If you use your 1970’s car or truck you may get shoot at or killed pretty fast. Walk home and get the kids. Walk to there school.

Broadside
    Survivalist
    member3

freedom, you’ve got a point. Even if folks don’t know what an EMP is, that many people on a normal road would make it look like an NYC sidewalk and that’s bound to make people nervous. Nervous people are dangerous. I just don’t think they’re going to clue in to the ramifications of what an EMP is or what it really means and that they and their families are going to be starving in short order. Even then, I know folks up here in FEMA region 3 will be stuck in a normalcy bias for a bit before reality sinks in- YMMV.

And absolutely! I wouldn’t touch a car, truck,or anything with a gas engine for a long time unless I wanted to be an instant bullet magnet.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Broadside, You are right on with that they will not have a clue that it is an EMP and some do not even know what an EMP is! But 3 to 4 hours without a cellphone(iPhone) no facebook or text, no car, no food, no water, credit card doesn’t work and they do not carry cash then you will see them go crazy fast. Normalcy ends real fast in the cities!

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

The cities will explode within minutes of EMP. The criminals will recognize the opportunity imeadiatly. Cops will be on foot with no communications, they will be in big time trouble. I expect most cities to be in flames within hours. If you are in a city prep for fire.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

74, I agree but I think it will take til night time since they are not even sure what is happening. A city like Miami is not the same as Chicago, Boston, LA, or New York City.

City of Miami’s Downtown area is starting to have more condos now and that maybe a problem for the people living there. Many are 10 to 30 miles away in homes which is not like the cities up north. Here in Miami you need a car to go any were since we are wide open Cities area. There are many cities like South Miami, West Miami, Coral Gables, Kendall, and maybe 5 to 6 more small cities that are around the City of Miami.

There is no subway here, so the downtown area will go on fire but the homestead areas that are 10 to 30 miles away will not see the big flames. We will see a lot of crime and hunger. The City were I live is about 15 to 20 miles from Downtown Miami and it is all homes and the other way(west) is were the everglades is. I am about 10 miles from the everglades line.

Now about 5 to 10 days into the SHTF we will start to see some come from the city of Miami or Downtown Miami since they will not find much food there.

My area is prepared as best as we can but I know it will be hell here.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Freedom,
    Your right, I was thinking about the old northern cities plus LA. As soon as people realize the cops are on foot the looting starts.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

74, There is one city that no one can pay me to be SHTF and that is Chicago! Flames is a nice word for what Chicago will look like only hours from an EMP.

Broadside
    Survivalist
    member3

74, we know from Katrina that the cops will be looting as well.

freedom, you couldn’t pay me to go to Chicago now, let alone during SHTF.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.