Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    RROAMM
    RROAMM
    Survivalist
    member2

I copied and pasted a post, it did not work, showed gibberish. will try again.
    Satellite phones
    Assumptions:
    1) the grid is down
    2) each family is equipped with a working satellite phone
    3) we all have the ability to charge the batteries
    4) whatever caused the grid down did not affect the phones, the phones work fine

1. the satellite phones are not at issue
    2. cell and landlines are down

I feel the ability to be able to communicate within my group, in the first 30 days after a major event. Will be of paramount importance. With that being said I have been looking in to the use of satellite phones as that means of communication.

Let’s face it, we are probably not going to be sitting at home when the balloon goes up, we could be scattered throughout our home countries. The ability to keep track of group and/or family members that are traveling or moving to the retreat location, will be a vital tactical advantage.

I talked with a technical representative. I gave him as a story about hurricanes etc., etc. my wife was is concerned about a new grand-baby etc. etc. And what I wanted to know was how the satellite phone system worked. What he told me was that if I have satellite phone A and I want to call satellite phone B, the signal would go from satellite phone A, up to the satellite in orbit, down to satellite phone B, never touching terrestrial land or cell lines.

He also told me that if area a was affected by a local event where it had a grid down and no land or cellular communications, the satellite phone(in the affected area) would make contact via the satellite in orbit, come back down to earth to the nearest cell tower or receiver to the number that I was calling whether it is a mobile or land phone. So it appears with the assumptions given above. In a SHTF situation, a group equipped with satellite phones and a Prepaid subscription would have the ability, at least for 30 days, after the event to be able to communicate with each other over hundreds of miles without using the grid.

A added benefit of getting a satellite phone, is that it can be used in an emergency situation where cellular service is not available. I know I go out 4 wheel driving, hiking, etc and I am in places where I have no cell service or very spotty cell service. I think the availability of having a way to communicate with the outside world no matter what, is a very nice feeling.

As for costs: It appears that a refurbished satellite phone will run approximately $250 (USD), one-year of satellite phone service with 120 minutes, will run approximately $300 (USD) for the year (paid in advance). So for a grand total of approximately $550 it seems to be possible to have satellite communications when the grid goes down for at least 30 days.

Is anyone out there using a satellite phone? If you are can you please provide the pros and cons of your satellite phone and/or system.
    Does this seem like a legitimate means of communication after the event, at least in the short term, way to keep track of family and group members that will be heading to the retreat location?
    Does anyone have any insider information as to how data is stored on the satellite?. Is there a reset counter every 30 days? For example if phone number A has paid for one year of service does the satellite have to see a ” reset” every 30 days or is it good for the year?

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Hit the edit and delete the areas that you to not want.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

In an EMP or Solar Flare grid down they will not work. The electronics will be fried! Even the batteries maybe fried. I am not sure if a grid down because of the internet world wide being taken down will they work.

Out of the zone of the EMP yes maybe if the satellites didn’t get hit by the EMP attack which the attack can be 2 to 3 miles high.

RROAMM
    RROAMM
    Survivalist
    member2

from what i have been able to research. A satellite phone does not use the “world wide web” or even touch the earth for sat phone to sat phone communications.

#4) whatever caused the grid down did not effect the phones.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Is the phone have electronic components, I think so. An EMP will burn all the components in side. Same goes for a solar flare. A grid down because of other problem in the grid will not do anything to your phone but an EMP will.

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

I’ve thought about it, but I’d rather go the route of Amateur (Ham) radio. For the cost of a good sat. phone you can get a decent ham radio and, if you’re good with that sort of stuff, make many different antennas on the cheap.

But I mean, if you have the money to get into both systems (ham and sat), then by all means do it up.

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Mr. Red, You need to protect the ham radio from an EMP attack. I think that ham radio is the way to go. There are many ham radio operators that are protecting an extra radio against an EMP attack so there will be a lot of information on them.

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

Well yes of course, it’s important to shield any important electronics against EMP.

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

RROAMM
    RROAMM
    Survivalist
    member2

we have looked and are looking at Ham radios for the long term. What we are trying to figure out , is it cost effective to have sat phones for the short term i,e, the first 30 days or so of a event. We have some group members that may be traveling up to 400 miles. The thought of secure comms after a event and while traveling is very appealing.

Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

I, too, have been considering this. Some of my members are spread out and I want to be able to contact them immediately. Never mind an EMP attack… have you ever been at a concert and tried to send a message? Too much traffic. I fear that the sudden uptick in traffic that a disaster will undoubtedly bring might jam up the systems, especially in the city. I could be wrong here… but I’m not going to bet something so valuable on the oh-so-beloved cell phone.

I have looked at both. I know people who are Ham radio operators, and I will be seeking their advice soon. I think the pros and cons are as follows, in my opinion.

Satellite Phone

Pros: Relatively small. Portable. Easy to protect with a Faraday Cage. User-friendly.

Cons: Cost. Only temporary reliability after shtf. Could be blocked by govt?? (Not sure)

Ham Radio

Pros: Potentially unlimited use after shtf, access to information! No third party required. Can be cheap and adaptable. It is extremely difficult for the govt to jam.

Cons: Takes up more space, weight. Learning curve. Operators license might make you a target for a hostile entity??

I like the HAM radio of the two thus far, personally. I will report back after contact my HAM buddies for an expert opinion.

Profile photo of Dutchie
    Dutchie
    Survivalist
    member2
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Thanks Dutchie for the link. I do think they may work.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

I read that the satellites actually do need constant monitoring and control, so in a complete collapse most likely they will be just doing their job for a few days.

I looked into satellite phones for my solo hiking trips but at the end a personal locator beacon was more cost effective. If you have quite a distance to meet each other, it might be worth it of course.

I think detailed plans for what to do, once SHTF and where to meet are probably good enough for most scenarios but then again, if I would already have my perfect BOL setup and everything else and money left, why not get another option to communicate.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.