Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Sarajevo Is The Fulcrum Of Modern History: The Great War And Its Terrible Aftermath

One hundred years ago today the world was shook loose of its moorings. Every school boy knows that the assassination of the archduke of Austria at Sarajevo was the trigger that incited the bloody, destructive conflagration of the world’s nations known as the Great War. But this senseless eruption of unprecedented industrial state violence did not end with the armistice four years later.

http://davidstockmanscontracorner.com/sarajevo-is-the-fulcrum-of-modern-history-the-great-war-and-its-terrible-aftermath/

Basically a rundown as to why Sarajevo was so important… and why we’re still dealing with the blowback a hundred years later…

Thought you might like this writeup, Selco… more or less your backyard. I’d like to know what you think of this article since you’ve got boots on the ground there…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Thank you very much Malgus for covering this news from my “backyard”.

Interesting article, with some good points.

Lot of things may be written here about event alone (assassination), but it would deserve going in way to complicated local history (and mythology too)

I agree that event alone was something that triggered( or marked) events that still ruling with world nations.
    Here on local level, it is still unclear who was who, who was hero or murderer or similar.
    For example assassin is considered terrorist in one region, but some 20 km from the place there are monuments built in his name, and he is celebrated as a freedom fighter, and hero.

But Balkan is just way confusing even for us, and here is always smart to keep your mouth shut if you do not know who is around you, or somebody may smash your head over the event that happened 100 years ago, even now in peace time.

And in wars here, people being killed by thousands in the name of events that are so far in history that actually nobody know for sure what happened.

Profile photo of Roadracer
    Roadracer
    Survivalist
    member7

Selco: Being of Serbian descent I could not agree more. It’s amazing that people can live next to each other for years in peace, then one incident triggers grudges that are generations if not millennia old. Every time I read Balkan history I just shake my head. Very similar to the Middle East. As we watch the sectarian violence in Iraq, I can’t help but think of the former Yugoslavia.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

People are OK here, but history here is full of bloody events and wars, every now and then some groups pull up some of the old “causes” so they can start the hate and chaos.

Yea, kinda confusing.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Selco,

I find it curious… if those assassins who killed Archduke Ferdinand knew that their actions would set in motion a series of events that would result in the deaths of multiples of millions of people, enable the central banks to loot Western Europe and the Americas – for the sole purpose of making themselves rich – and set the stage for WWII (and many more multiples of millions dead), the Cold War, Communism, more millions dead, more mountains of treasure spent – even the Yugoslavian war in the 90’s that you were caught in – was a causation of that -… would they have still assassinated him?

You know “A butterfly’s wings?” … the smallest thing can set in motion a chain of events that result in a massive catastrophe… a butterfly flaps its wings in South America, and eventually a huge hurricane hits Miami or Charles town…

Looking back, it’s easy to say “Hey, if those guys didn’t do this, then this other catastrophe(s) would never had happened”…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Who knows?
    Those guys were young patriots (or terrorist for some) I do not believe that they really knew what they gonna cause with their action. Other thing is did the folks who help them (organized them) know what is gonna be.

Profile photo of Roadracer
    Roadracer
    Survivalist
    member7

Do any of us really know what our actions will cause? I had an executive at our company make an off hand comment to me. He simply said why don’t you see what’s going on in a particular region. It was an area that we really hadn’t paid attention to. During a slow week where I did not have any commitments, I drove to the region met some people and eventually scored several massive contracts.

When they killed the Archduke, they had no idea what it was going to cause. Neither did anyone else. The various alliance agreements drug one reluctant country after another in the war nobody wanted.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.