Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

http://www.urbanoutdoorskills.com/salted-fish.html

Drying is the oldest method of preserving fish and meat. The link provided discribes some of the methods that can be used to dry fish or meat.

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

Salted and dried fish is a staple here in Newfoundland, and most every family, at least here in my area, do such things to preserve it.

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Depends on the fish , I have had some very good dried , smoked fish …..then there was Russian Vobla …..nasty !

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

Same here Mr Red, we salt ours when ever we get some. The old salt beef bucket and salt. Drainage holes in the bottom.

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Red & Gypsy, Maybe you have a few recipes to share with us for using dried fish?

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

Real simple one is to boil it (soak the fish out first to get rid of some of the salt) with just potatoes and some onion. Nothing fancy but it’s one of those which says a lot about where it’s from, since many of us use to fish here (not as much now, sadly) and grow mostly root vegetables.

Certainly not a big pizza, but it’ll fill you up and give you the starches, fats, and proteins you need.

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

In the Hands on Projects forum I posted a recipe for salted meat, hope that helps.

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.