Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

I apologize if there is already a post on this, but it bares repeating. Salt is life.

Would it surprise anyone if i mentioned that you will die without salt? Most people would be surprised to hear that… almost all the food we eat is absolutely saturated with the stuff. And boy are they in for a surprise when they run out of modern food, and enriched rice.

Debilitating cramps, headaches, death, awaits those without salt. Usually within three days, but it is not set in stone.

So valuable is the stuff that animals will change course if they get a whiff of it. Squirrels (potassium), bears, moose, deer, rabbits, pheasant. There is a reason its illegal to bait game in with salt *hint*. One poacher can decimate an area with a salt lick, leaving hunters to wonder around for days wasting cals.

But if its survival, I would rather be judged by twelve than carried by six. Why spend all day running around tracking, when there is such a cheap alternative at your store, right now, a dollar a box.

Jerky, salted fish, eggs, the stuff is great for so many things, you just cannot have enough. The further in land you are, chances will be that its going to be that much more valuable. People may kill for it, as quickly as for water in a desert.

Hiking teaches people really quickly about electrolyte balance, sodium and potassium (squirrel)are well worth their weight to carry.

Sodium can also be procured from animal blood, just an fyi worth repeating.

Save a life, and ask a friend if they knew, you can die without salt.

Never be afraid to do the righteous thing, nothing righteous is ever easy.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

For anyone not aware you can buy salt tablets at most pharmacies. I always carried some when I’d go for long bike rides being I get salt depleted quickly. I’d also take salty snacks.

Those 1# to 4# boxes are so inexpensive to buy and it doesn’t go bad. It behooves us to set aside plenty in our preps. I don’t have any animals but I’ve set aside a coupe of those big salt licks you can buy at Tractor Supply type stores in case I find myself having animals post-SHTF (or for my neighbors to use with their animals when they can’t run to the store any more).

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

Just a note: Iodized salt is valuable for food, keeping people far from the sea from getting goiter.

BUT it is not recommended for canning, salting hides etc. Be sure you store up some plain (canning/pickling/preserving) salt as well.

And KOS is SO right. Salt is an important and relatively costly commodity in some remote places even today, usable for money. Sources are protected seriously.

In fact, historically, one of Ghandi’s huge protests in the 40’s involved Britain’s control of salt in India, where high temperatures made it even more essential for life. He instigated making their own salt at the seashore, which brought soldiers down upon his people. (We visited a sea salt evaporation area in Andhra Pradesh last year.)

Remember stories of Dan’l Boone’s discovery of a salt lick for the people he was leading to Kentucky? I know that Syracuse NY (formerly Salina NY) was the site of salt mines and much of rural Upstate has high salt content in their water. Keep this in mind if you live in that area.

Meanwhile, as Mountain Biker says, store it up. It doesn’t go bad. Just keep it dry.

Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

if it gets wet, you can still use it to bait animals for food. :D

Never be afraid to do the righteous thing, nothing righteous is ever easy.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Avoid salt blocks.

Bagged rock (softener) salt works immensely better.

The deer normally won’t come to a salt block, but will chew up the ground where one has been and the salt leeched into the soil.

The rock salt leeches in faster and unlike the block, doesn’t attract the attention of the “possum sheriff”.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.