Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Putting out new salt blocks for the cattle this morning while checking fences. Reminded me to encourage everyone to store the many useful kinds of salt.

1) salt blocks – if you plan on having animals when SHTF plan to store salt blocks for cattle and horses (they usually have added minerals including copper – some have dewormer added to them for cattle) Be aware of this in case you ever run across one in a field and think you might want to use it for yourself! Salt blocks for sheep have no copper.

2) epsom salts (magnesium sulphate) is good for lots of aches and pains plus is very useful as a fertilizer in the garden

3) table salt – cheap enough now -store lots

4) sea salt

5) canning salt

Wars have been fought over salt in ages past. It was traded for gold, ounce for ounce if I recall. Just consider it for your preps. You can google all the uses to convince yourself if you like.

Profile photo of Broadside
    Broadside
    Survivalist
    member3

tweva, Lord yes. Thank you for the reminder. Canning salt is one of those things I pick up as sort of an impulse purchase like lighters or batteries.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Good points Tweva.

In my region it was not so valuable during the SHTF time, but I remember some regions not so far from me it had 40 times value then in peace time.
    It is one of those items that people mostly notice how important is only when it is gone.

Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Good point… I had no idea that there was such a thing as canning salt. Looks like I’ve got more homework to do haha. This site is invaluable! I’m glad I joined that’s for sure.

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

I bought Himalayan crystal salt and sea salt today. About the salt blocks – remember horses do not have a gal bladder – and should not have urea in their diet.

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

Yes indeed! We keep plenty of canning salt. We’re big on canning… love our canned elk too. Next month canning tuna. We bring canning items with us traveling as well…cuts cost on food during road trips (and healthier). Also keep smoked salt for a spin on flavor. Keep plenty of Himalayan salt crystals on hand. Very practical consideration tweva…a must prepper item.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Leopard auto correct must be giving you fits. I think you meant Urea. Lol I don’t think anybody wants Uranium in there food.

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

If chester thinks of eating tuna he is going to get some radioactive substances in his diet.

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

Hehe – Thanks Matt76 ! Fixed it

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.