Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of c
    c
    member7

Deleted.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Thanks for sharing c. I didn’t know the technique shown on page 29 of the booklet. About an hour ago the lady that delivers our mail asked if we skate on our pond and told us about an incident she had skating on hers.

Profile photo of c
    c
    member7

Deleted.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Odd as it sounds at first blush, it made sense when he explained it. I never let water in my boots on purpose so the next time it happens, I will take my boots off assuming I have wool socks on. In a related aspect of this, if I am going into deep snow I wear gators so as to keep snow from falling down my boots and melting. For the warm climate folks here, 32 degree fahrenheit water will very quickly numb your feet or hands. It is both painful and dangerous.

Profile photo of c
    c
    member7

Deleted.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

C,
    Just so every understands the ice thickness rules, Mors Kochanski is talking about solid hard ice. Not spring ice or remelt. 2 inches of soft ice is won’t hold up a 10 year old.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I’ll add that ice will also be weaker if it isn’t directly on top of water. Sometimes a pond or lake level will drop during the winter and there will be a layer of ice from earlier in the season sitting on air.

Profile photo of c
    c
    member7

Deleted.

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Thanks for this important post. Most weather people think we are entering a period of world wide cooling, or maybe even a new “mini-ice age”? If so, we will have many more opportunities to use this info, and it could be life saving!

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of c
    c
    member7

Deleted.

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

I agree, it is mostly “guesses” but the normal global cycles seem to be for a cool down. I’m preparing for anything, actually ;)

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>MountainBiker wrote:</div>I’ll add that ice will also be weaker if it isn’t directly on top of water. Sometimes a pond or lake level will drop during the winter and there will be a layer of ice from earlier in the season sitting on air.

Or the ice will crack and water infiltrates under a snow cover. You can be traveling on top of the snow and dig a hole only to watch water gush up. Its a bit disconcerting. Its so cold you know the ice is there but you still hit water. Thats on a dam reservoir. The water goes up and the water goes down.

Profile photo of norbert77
    norbert77
    Survivalist
    member1

I’m looking to do some atv riding in the far north, where crossing froze creeks of unknown depths I’d frequent. Leaned some good info from this post and others today, thanks

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Be careful. Frozen creeks can be especially hazardous given the manner in which they freeze unevenly due to moving water, varying depths, stones in the waterway etc.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

ATV’s and snowmobiles probably account for most of the accidents on the ice in todays world. There are light weight dry suits made for sports activities you might look into as a precautionary measure.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.