Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

For sure some of the folks here are expert marksmen but for those who aren’t, a very inexpensive option for getting excellent rifle marksmanship training is through the RWVA (Revolutionary War Veterans Association) Appleseed Project. This is a nationwide non-profit organization dedicated to preserving the marksmanship of 1775 Lexington & Concord, MA in which farmers and shopkeepers beat the best trained and equipped military in the world. The “shot heard ’round the world”. They run 2 day weekend courses for $60, though you can do just Saturday if you can’t muster the time for a two day course. Kids under 18 are only $20 for the two days. Active duty military, Reserve, Guard, LEO’s & Disabled are free. The instructors are volunteers. My son is one and it takes a lot of time, effort and training before you can become an instructor. I have taken the training twice and have learned a great deal each time. The first time there were a dozen people in the class including a couple Dads with their young daughters. This last time there were only two of us with 3 instructors so we had more than one on one training. Most people use 22 rifles for the classes. You bring your own rifle and ammo but given the ongoing 22 ammo shortages, you may be able to buy some from the instructors. I bought 2 bricks of 500 for $30 each this last time. During breaks and lunch the instructors take turns telling the story of 1775 Lexington & Concord and of the people that participated. That’s the other part of their mission, to keep the history alive given how little of it is taught anymore. The Revolutionary War still defines New England not unlike the way that the Civil War defines the South, and so up here at least they also talk of Revolutionary War battles and people of local interest.

I have found Appleseed training to be very worthwhile.

http://appleseedinfo.org/

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Sorry for the typo in the title of the thread. I don’t know how to fix it.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

I thought the colonists lost the battle at Lexington/Concord , but that it did spark the revolution .

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Nope, the colonists won and the redcoats went scurrying back to Boston. More than a third of the redcoats were killed or wounded.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

http://www.thehistorytrekker.com/travel-photographer/new-england/revolutionary-war-battlefields-old-north-bridge-in-concord-massachusetts

Tolik,
    Lexington & Concord were 2 separate engagements. The first in Lexington the colonists didn’t fair so well. It was a small skirmish with the minute men well out numbered. However they kicked but at the Old North Bridge!

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I’m looking at the totality of the series of events, not each action on a standalone basis (and the day included more than those two engagements) with the key point being that the ordinary farmers, craftsmen, and shopkeepers of Massachusetts stood up to and won the day against the Redcoats, something that the Redcoats in all their arrogance thought could not be done. The symbolism remains powerful to this day.

A can-hardly-put-it-down book that tells the full story of April 19, 1775 is:

http://www.amazon.com/Paul-Reveres-David-Hackett-Fischer/dp/0195098315

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

I believe I will be taking the fam to one of these when it cools down a bit.

elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

Title typo fixed. :)

Bugs Bunny: "I speak softly, but I carry a big stick."
    Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

MTB,
    I follow you on your thinking, it was a day long event with muster sites in Acton & West Acton before the clash in Concord. Patriots followed the british most of the way back to Boston shooting at them from hidden positions.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

matt76, the first one I went to had a full family there… Mom, Dad, & kids. They try to encourage that by offering such a low price for the kids.

elijah, thanks for fixing the typo. A little proofreading on my part was in order…..

74, the Paul Revere’s Ride book tells the full story very well. The system they used to spread the word from town to town was incredible as was the organization of the local militias that were quickly on the march. In one town after the men left, the women put on men’s clothes,grabbed any remaining weapons, and if none were to be had, grabbed farm implements, elected a leader, and starting patrolling their town in anticipation of the redcoats coming. Some did and the women took them prisoner. In another place the militias were so effective that some redcoats threw down their weapons and ran, and when they came upon an unarmed old woman gathering spring plants for food, surrendered to her in hopes of garnering protection. One old guy in his 70’s who was too lame to march with the militia took us a position behind a stone wall if I recall correctly, and fired so fast that the redcoats thought there was a whole group firing on them. They eventually over ran him, shot him a couple times, stabbed him something like 14 times and left him for dead, but he went on to live another 16 or 18 years I think. Personally I find the spirit and determination of the colonists inspiring. I’d like to think some of it still exists, even if no longer the majority.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

“Personally I find the spirit and determination of the colonists inspiring. I’d like to think some of it still exists,” MTB

I know it does. Although not many people are taught about The American Revolution in it’s true light. I was fortunate to live in West Acton from 1962-67 and marched with reenactors from the village green to Concord a few times on 04-19. Back then the schools were really into the local histotical contributions. We had good lessons and field trips to historical museums that were not affected by PC.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

74, you may be familiar with Deerfield MA out in the upper Connecticut River Valley. It was a frontier town in the latter 1600’s and early 1700’s and its history used to be very well taught locally, three events in particular, but in recent years the PC police have caught up with even that by renaming the events. In 1675 Indians were trying to burn out the small valley towns. The Bay Colony militia successfully protected Deerfield and the crops were harvested. A wagon train was formed to bring food to another small town in hopes of it not needing to be abandoned following successful Indian attacks on their fields. While in transit, Indians came down off the mountain, and killed almost 100% of the Deerfield men and the Bay Colony militia. A couple captures were burned at the stake that night. My wife’s direct many greats grandfather was one of the few survivors. This event became known as the Bloody Brook Massacre. The following year, 1676, in retaliation the Deerfield men attacked a nearby summer encampment at a waterfalls that was a traditional Indian fishing ground. It was another massacre, except this time it was the Indians that lost. It became known as the Falls Massacre. One of my wife’s relatives was killed in that one. Fast forward to the winter of 1704 and Deerfield is attacked by French and Indians that came down from Quebec. Most of the Deerfield residents were killed, taken prisoner, or burned out of their homes. It was the single largest taking of prisoners in the French & Indian Wars. Women still weak from recent childbirth who couldn’t keep up marching through the snow to Quebec were killed as were young children who couldn’t keep up. This event became known as the Deerfield Massacre. My wife’s direct many times great grandmother was a 12 year old who survived the march to Quebec. Other relatives died in Deerfield. All three events were massacres. PC re-writing of history has now renamed the two massacres of the colonists. The Bloody Brook Massacre is now called the Battle at Bloody Brook. The Deerfield Massacre is now called the Raid on Deerfield. The Falls Massacre in which it was mostly Indians that were killed is still called the Falls Massacre. This is what the kids are now taught in school. It is how history slowly gets rewritten.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

The RWVA never come close to Miami, Florida. I just when to there website and found that they are coming to Hollywood, Florida in Jan. First time so I am registering my self and my son for the class.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Patriots followed the british most of the way back to Boston shooting at them from hidden positions. – 74

Yep… had them in a running gauntlet the whole way back… by the time they dragged their sorry asses into Boston, they were shot to pieces… many dropped their weapons and equipment and high-tailed it… heh heh… :)

Later on, I especially like how the Brits whined about how we “didn’t fight fair”… remember reading about one officer writing home and whining about how we “wouldn’t even allow an officer to take the field” without being targeted by our sharpshooters… seems we had this habit of flattening their officers first… heh.. :)

Guess we could ask Colonel Ferguson about that… he’s still down on King’s Mountain where we left him..

Edit: I’ve been through Appleseed and the Instructor program they have… it’s a worthwhile endeavor. Having a solid bedrock foundation of skills is most important, and that’s what Appleseed focuses on… for experienced shooters, it’s a good refresher… some of us fall into bad habits after years of shooting. Helps to get centered.

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

MTB, Deerfield is only a name floating around in my memory, thanks for the details. I know only to well how history is changed. When your children go through school and you spend every night undoing the brain washing of the day, the effort becomes totally transparent

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.