Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Vladdy ain’t gonna be happy.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2015/05/18/ukraine-forces-claim-theyve-captured-2-russian-officers-near-rebel-held-area/?intcmp=latestnews

The young man who was shown lying in a hospital bed introduced himself as Sgt. Alexander Alexandrov of the Russian Special Forces from the Volga River city of Togliatti and said he was operating in the area in a group consisting of 14 men. He said he had been based in the rebel stronghold Luhansk since March 6 and that he and his comrades had been rotating in and out of the area around Shchastia every 4-5 days.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

No big surprise.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Some unidentified American soldots were also captured by the DPR recently ……………….no surprises there either . DPR claims they are CIA , and plan to release them shortly .

Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

We always knew this was a proxy war, here is just evidence of that. I’ll bet they were in region to train the separatists and maybe even take occasional direct action.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

WK,
    I think they are in the area for their own training and battle hardening.

Profile photo of Roadracer
    Roadracer
    Survivalist
    member7

Pretty shrewd. Take a group of young soldiers, under the command of some seasoned NCO’s, and let them experience the chaos of war in a limited and controlled fashion. If the ballon goes up on a real war, the troops will be prepared. Low cost, low danger, but profitable experience in asymmetrical warfare.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Repeat of 1936 Germany aiding Franco in Spain.

“The war provided combat experience with the latest technology for the German military. However, the intervention also posed the risk of escalating into a world war for which Hitler was not ready. He therefore limited his aid”

Putin is waiting for the right time to fully engage in war.

Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Could be!

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

The scary thing is , we have not known total victory since 1945 . We are having difficulty with people that have no air force , no navy , etc.
    Our soldiers can do the job , no question ……………………….but our leadership is another story . I dont have faith in the generalship either , none of them have known victory or actually how to achieve it , outside text books . The other side has some of the same failings , but their leadership is better . Best to actually enforce the Minsc agreements together , Russian peacekeepers take over the positions of the DPR/LPR at the contact points , and US / German / french peacekeepers take over the contact positions of the Ukers . Only reason I would have the French in there , is because they are a signer to the Minsc Agreements . Go down the road to actually doing something constructive . An interesting poll was taken of the Ukrainian people , it seems that they dont want to be part of either Russia or the EU . As a side note , the Ukrainian people are not happy with the current government , by the end of 2015 , it will take 90% of Ukraine’s GDP to try to pay off its national debt …………………….seems the US has been teaching them economics as well .

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Repeat of 1936 Germany aiding Franco in Spain.

“The war provided combat experience with the latest technology for the German military. However, the intervention also posed the risk of escalating into a world war for which Hitler was not ready. He therefore limited his aid”

Putin is waiting for the right time to fully engage in war.

The russkies were also involved in the Spanish civil war, sending tanks and troops,as well as planes and pilots. More practice.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Whirly, I haven’t found a reference to Soviet troops in Spain, only the sale of military equipment. Not that it matters, the war was used successfully by Hitler to test new weapons, harden his troops, bring Italy into his fold along with Spain. I think the parallel with Putin and the Ukraine is similar. Russia is rolling out new equipment for testing and has a limited number of troops in combat training. I have no doubt that they rotate new troops in to get as many as ppossible experience. Who are they ginning up as allies?

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

http://www.gutenberg-e.org/kod01/frames/fkod01.html

@1000 tankers and pilots as well as their tanks and planes.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Whirly,
    I saw their site but ignored it due to the German name, I thought it might not be reliable. Have you found any other sources? I didn’t spend a lot of time with it as It’s not really important to me in the whole scheme of things one way or the other. If they sent a million guys it wouldn’t matter. It was warm ups to the real game.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Actually its the Columbia university press website, they use the reference name like the Gutenberg bible.

There were other sites, this was just an ‘official’ one.

More a curiosity for me as I remember this from both Hemingway and other writers of the period and went looking.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.