Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

I picked up a Soviet paratrooper canteen kit a few days ago , and had a chance to test it out . Its not half bad !!!! , It has an OD russian pouch that can hook onto your belt like a normal canteen . it holds about a quart of water , just like the US one does , but the cup is made to be hung over a fire or other heat source , it also has a small pot with a hinge , that holds the whole thing together and also serves as a handle when cooking . Not fond of aluminum , but the design is sound and heats up pretty fast , all in all , its a good companion for the US 1 qt. kit . Between the two of them , you have some cooking options out in the woods .

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Tolik,
    Thanks for the post. I need another mess kit this looks like a good one.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

I have old Yugoslav kit like that, only in different color.
    Looks bit “old style” but it really do the job.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

I watched a youtube about this thing , the bottom cup/pan is tapered , and fits into the pot , like a lid , the wire handle then locks into the side notch for carrying like a pail . I assume this was a feature intended so that the soldat could easily transport a hot meal without it spilling . After watching that , I tried it , it works very well .

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Sounds like it could be used as a double boiler too. Boil water in the pot and heat the food so it doesn’t burn over a fire. You don’t need to regulate the fire temperature and can keep a hot fire going.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

I have never liked gi or scouts mess kits.

For the most part they’re designed around field kitchens not actually cooking a meal in the outdoors.

The scouts versions are a little better but are set up for kids not adult eating/cooking.

Many years ago I switched from mess kits to a billy pot (with lid) and a stainless MSR pot and lid (2qt). With the bily pot I can boil my water, make a little soup, and such.
    With the stainless pot, I can cook enough for me and others, and my stove and a couple pair of extra socks fit inside nicely along with a portable radio. Mini faraday cage.
    The ss pot lid makes a handy fry pan if needed, a plate, a cover, etc.

Unlike gi kits, I can store fragile items inside the pots, like the radio, my tea cup, etc.

I also keep a frisbee in my kit, not only the obviou uses, but it makes an excellent plate in camp. Stiff enough to carry a lot of food, and cut on, the rim keeps food from spilling off unles you really upend it.

Much depends on how you are cooking/preparing your food as to what may work best. Where is also a consideration.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.