Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews
    Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

My friend has one of the old style ones. Nice gun, fun to shoot, but I wouldn’t trade him for it. I thought there were accuracy probs with them some claim? Maybe not with newer version.Or, haha, might be the shooter. That’s all I know. Always hard to know about a gun until you spend some time shooting it.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I can’t comment on the new ones but I had an old model. Accuracy was not good. I believe the barrels should have been thicker and the rear sight had movement in it ensuring poor accuracy. The receivers weren’t designed for optics either making a side mount the only option.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

I think they suck ass , I had a mini 30 , it wasn’t the old ones with the bad thin barrel , it was a new one . I sold it and bought another AK . My problems with that platform were these things . It is not substantial enough for me , I probably would have liked it more if it had heavy wooden furniture , but thats a personal preference , I think any gun with polymer feels cheap and junky I didnt like the sticky charging bolt . Its accuracy was not any better than an AK , the safety sucked . Just because the Army used that safety in WW2 , doesnt mean it was a good idea , it can be knocked in and out too easily just moving around in the woods or in brush . I also didnt like the lack of accessories . Cant get a factory 30 round magazine , In short , it was like almost everything else Ruger makes , uninspired and lacking . Crappy company in desperate need of new management . For the money your going to spend on a Mini , just get an AK , its a far better rifle . Let me put it this way , some punks come up to your car , the mini 30/ 14 isnt going to be intimidating , and they may still press the issue , forcing you to fire …………..you pull out an AK , they will probably stop cold , it looks mean and nasty , and its reputation is understood world wide , and blown out of proportion in the media, ( which could work in your favor at times ) you may get out of it without firing a shot . Yes its smaller and less clunky , but a load out for an AK is only 6 magazines ( not counting the one in the rifle ) , to get a similar load out for the Ruger , you need 10 , yes you can buy aftermarket 30 round mags , but they are unreliable in that weapon . The factory mags for that platform seem to be the only reliable ones . Just my 2 cents .

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Thanks for the info guys. It looks like by all the post here that this Ruger has some problems. I am not sure if they fixed them with the new one but even if they did it will be hard to prove it to the gun owners.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Tolik, So you have many AK’s and I see so many for sale, which one to you think is the better one? And what are they priced at?

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

$690 @ DumberThanSH!T dot com (tactical)
    Wood might be cheaper, but I doubt it. The article is inaccurate, you can’t get the Mini-14 for 1/2 the price of an AR. It is MORE than a bargain AR!

I got a new DTI (DelTon) AR for $599 locally, flat-top.
    A new S&W M&P15 is less money also.

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Well , if you like it and are comfortable with it ……..then its a good one for what you want it for , they did fix the thin barrel issue and some other things , but it took them a long time to do it . On the plus side , and the reason I bought one in the first place , is that its clean and easily hidden , that can be a big plus ………..just for me , after i got to know the weapon better , was disappointing in other respects . so much so , I got rid of it . But like I said , Ruger is in need of new management , its like GM , they have had some good ideas , but they are poorly executed , they dont take things far enough , why isn’t the mini available in 308 ? and why are there no real accessories ? , if your going to copy or base a weapon on one from history ( the M1A ) , why not at least copy it in its original cal .? its because they are out of touch and LAZY . They obviously dont torture test anything , or they would quickly find out whats wrong with their products . Say what you want about Century Arms , but they take new products to James Jeager , to be torture tested , and they know that the product will get either a good review or be pronounced as junk all over the internet . Example , they gave him an AK with all polymer furniture , and Jeager fired 1000 rounds non stop through it , well the front grip melted away , and the Century guy’s attitude was simply” well looks like we have some work to do ” ……….and thanked him . Another questionable arms maker Kel-Tec , like them or hate them , they are innovators , they have come up with some very interesting designs and are not afraid to think outside the box and at least try things . Ruger on the other hand , has no direction , or goal . Seriously , cowboy 6 shooters ???? Really !!!!! , who buys that ? I would bet , and this is sarcasm , that the only thing that keeps Ruger alive is the 10/22 and LC9 , and if it were not for women needing a reliable safe 9mm for their purse , and the survivalist community praising the 1022 , they would probably be scrambling for a hot seller …………I say scrambling , because they dont have a clue what today’s customer wants in a firearm .

undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

DTS is our nickname for “cheaper than dirt” when the gouged on the ammo prices.
    IMO it was the newby shooters who were buying from them… :(

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Tolik wrote:
    I would bet , and this is sarcasm , that the only thing that keeps Ruger alive is the 10/22 and LC9 , and if it were not for women needing a reliable safe 9mm for their purse , and the survivalist community praising the 1022 , they would probably be scrambling for a hot seller …………I say scrambling , because they dont have a clue what today’s customer wants in a firearm .

LOL, That makes SO MUCH SENSE, Tolik!

10/22 has a great reputation, but I “settled” for a Marlin 795, and all the youtube comparos say the Marlin is more accurate. Not quite the aftermarket as the Ruger, but who needs a “tactical” 22??? If so, I will get an AR conversion or the Mossberg 715 flat top.

I sold my LC9, it was just not a good option for me. Used the dough for an AK :D

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Okay from the gunsmith’s perspective, my $.02.

The Mini’s have improved exponentially, the barrels are much better, the receivers can have scopes installed easily unlike earlier models, there are factory hi capacity magazines readily available now. Including 20 and 30 for the .223 and 20’s for the x39.

Several complaint voiced previously don’t make sense to me, so I will just skip them.

The Ruger design is stronger than most understand, ‘Ol Bill had a habit when guns were designed back then, 100% margin of safety. Meaning if it’s a 45,000 psi cartridge chambered in the gun, it’ll hold 90,000 psi. Few designs out there can make this statement.

Accuracy, many people give the Mini’s a try but don’t give them the same fair test that they do other designs because it’s just a Mini and everybody knows it’s not accurate or reliable .

The last three through my shop were as follows:

Stainless Mini .223 Ranch Rifle. Trigger job and “accuracy” complaint (2″ at 100Y originally, which coincidentally is the same group my M-4gery will shoot)
    After the trigger job, touching up the barrel crown and lapping the gas block and properly tensioning the gas block screws, it shot just over 1″ with the same ammo.

Blued Mini .223 180-series, reliability complaint and accuracy complaint (3″ groups at 100Y)
    Replaced the junk magazines with factory mags, replaced the recoil spring as the gun had been left with the action locked open for several decades thanks to an expert’s advice. Now 100% reliable with everything from Wolf Mil Classic through Federal 55gr SP’s.
    The accuracy, depending on ammo changed from 2″ to 5″ at 100Y. The barrel tended to heat up and the groups would open up at that point. I asked the customer how often he shot more than 3 rounds at a time, he replied only when messing around. I looked at him and handed him the test targets.

The third, a Mini-30.
    The usual accuracy complaints, the customer brought in a couple mags of Wolf and Tula ammo with the gun.
    I went out and put it on the bench, using Federal ball ammo, it shot right around 2″ at 100Y. The Tula shot @4″, the Wolf right at 6″.
    Talked with the customer, he hadn’t benched the gun, hadn’t tried good ammo and had to be shown how to clean the gun.

The Mini series are a light, reliable, decently accurate carbine. ‘
    And legal in many places that other designs aren’t.

You want a gun that’s built for a conscript, get the AK.
    You want a thinking mans gun, there are many options, including the Mini’s.

As an aside, I’m looking at replacing my wife’s AK with a Mini 30 or a 6.8 if I can find one.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Tolik, “Who buys cowboy 6 shooters?”

Actually they sell more of them than they can make.
    Most of my customers have at least one.

If people didn’t buy them, Ruger wouldn’t make them. That’s why Ruger still makes the Number 1 rifles. Same for other designs.

As to the .308 version, there was the XGI model that was announced but never produced because of production and mechanical issues.

For those considering the Mossy 715 series, just don’t.
    Talk about a piece of junk. The last two I had through the shop were tubs of excrement.
    One kept locking open, couldn’t fire more than 3 rounds without a stoppage. Had to design a means to keep the bolt from locking the gun open on it’s own. The other, talk about inaccurate.

There are a lot of good .22’s out there, skimping on price also means skimping on quality.
    My Marlin M-39 took second in the “Turkey Shoot” this last fall. I was shooting offhand at 72′ using a peep rear sight. The winner was using a peep sighted Kimber 82 target rifle from the bench. Hardly a fair contest, but I beat the scoped rifles at the same time

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Free, If you don’t have one now get an AR flat top. AK’s generally are harder to fit optics. I have a 1-6 with a illuminated reticle. For my old eyes it makes a world of difference.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Soooooo if Ruger puts out a 30 round mag for their 223 , why dont they for the 39 ? thats part of what I’m saying , AK built for a conscript ? YES they were , that means you can abuse them , they can be filthy , and when your life depends on it , it will go bang . Dont know about the rest of you , but that spells a winner to me . Thinking mans rifle ? whats there to think about ? it either works well without babysitting or it doesnt ………..it can either fire steel case ammo without problem or it cant , you can either get the accessories you want with it or you cant . Whats their to think about ? Just Sayin . I do hear ya tho , Dont get me wrong , the mini was a hell of a lot of fun to shoot , it just fell short for my needs . For somebody else in one of the less free Communist states , it may be a good alternative . Not everybody lives in a gun liberal state like Arizona , ………gun laws ? what are those ;)
    Seriously , we almost dont have any lol .

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

74 , depends on who makes the AK , and how much your will ing to pay for one , but there are many now that have all the front and rear rail systems on them from the factory , but again , depends on how much your willing to spend . As much as I’m a fan of the AK , there is no way I would spend $1000 for one , there are better things out there for $1000 + .

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.