Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Sometimes timing is everything and in the midst of the unfolding ebola situation, ISIS, and everything else going on in the world, tomorrow we will be heading down to New Jersey for my niece’s wedding, and then on Sunday head to North Carolina to our daughter’s place to visit for a few days and see the grandbabies. While in NJ I’ll take my sister to visit my deceased mother’s best friend, my other mother as I call her, and then we’ll go to Pennsylvania to visit an elderly Uncle in an assisted living facility. And of course the wedding and all that hoopla. Exposure to lots and lots of people in crowded places, restaurants, sleeping in hotels, public bathrooms, and so forth. I like my quiet life in rural Vermont, but of course am excited to see my baby girls. But off I go in the morning for a week long trip.

What I am thus doing is focusing on the possible rewards. The roughly 30 hours of driving with my wife getting there and back will allow lots of time to talk about the state of the world and possibly bring her further along on seeing what I see. I’ll have about 3 hours alone with my sister driving to and from those visits and can maybe make the conversation productive. She lives in Ohio and so all I can do is encourage her to personally prep. At the wedding I’ll have time with a nephew from New Hampshire to remind him to head for my place pronto should the S start to HTF. I have told him this before but now he is married and has a baby and so he may hear me in a different light. His Dad (now deceased) and another deceased brother were my only siblings who didn’t think my prepping ways were crazy. I expect a brother from Maryland will see if he can get a reaction out of me over ebola, ISIS, or some other threat. At past family gatherings he has used my prepping as a source of entertainment. My goal is to not take the bait but rather to simply say I’m not concerned at all because….and rattle off how I can easily shelter in place for as a couple years if I had to, and oh by the way how far are you from Baltimore & DC again? If miraculously he has had a change of heart I’m glad to help educate him, but otherwise I won’t waste my time. My brother from New Jersey whose daughter is getting married is the Fire Chief in his town and the defacto guy in charge of certain emergency situations which means he’s not the guy who will be sheltering in place. Him I can ask about what kinds of guidance and supplies he is getting from the State or other agencies, if any, and perhaps give him questions to ask if he is not up to speed (which I suspect is the case). With my son who is usually ahead of me in sizing up situations, I can come up to speed with what his take on things are and what their plans are concerning his wife’s job (public school teacher) if ebola appears in his area.. And then I get a few days with our daughter & her family which will give me some opportunity to bring up the ebola and ISIS topics, assuming my son-in-law doesn’t ask me what I think first, which sometimes he does. They’ve been in the don’t get it camp and I’d like to bring them along enough to get them to agree to shelter at our place because it is far safer than staying in their current suburban location, and to listen to me when I say its time. Failing that, to set aside the supplies they need now so as to be able to shelter in place themselves. He telecommutes and so can work from anywhere with a good internet connection and she is taking a couple years off from teaching to be with the babies, so they could pick up and leave anytime, or easily start sheltering in place should that be needed.

So, I’ve got to go on this journey but it offers lots of opportunities for me to maybe bring some folks along. The glass is half full rather than half empty. Wish me luck.

I don’t have a smart phone and won’t be taking my laptop and so will be incommunicado once we leave. Yes, I will have to rely upon the mass media for a week.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Congratulations and good luck. If the whole world goes to sh..t while you’re away I’m about 60 miles west of Phila.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Thanks 74, my problem will be knowing that the world has gone to sh_t. We’re taking my wife’s small SUV and space is at a premium but while I’m putting my bug out bag into the way back, I have a feeling I’ll be throwing the laptop in too, though I am trying to avoid the urge. Sometimes I envy the uninformed sheeple.

We’ll come into PA via I78 and take it all the way to I81 which will get us most of the way to Charlotte.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Have a safe trip MB! Enjoy those grandkids!

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Mtb,
    Have a great time, I’m confident you will be fine.

I’m 25 minutes due south from your route though.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Thanks 74. As an aside, I love driving through the farm country in PA with their big well kept farms and gently rolling terrain.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Me safe MB. I pray reality will set in and your family will listen. Have a great time and cherish every minute with your family and friends.

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

Hope all goes well and you can enjoy the trip without major concerns coming into reality. We, too, are going on a major trip to much the same areas. Visit Bushrat’s sister in southern Maryland (40 miles from DC) and then on to Asheville NC for the Golden Retriever National Specialty with my artwork. Have a few preps in our travel trailer just in case. Back in time for main waterfowl season…God willing.

I know how hard it is to get the ones you love “on board”. Bushrat’s sister is “pink Victorian” although her husband is outdoorsy when he has time. They have married children and numerous grandchildren in the area. We have tried to prompt them into prepping for “local disaster” at least, but I think it’s falling on deaf ears.

My family (scattered across the world) and his family (near DC) both cause that “knot in the stomach” feeling when you see the future as we do, and they are so oblivious. Wake up! you want to scream….

I keep going back to an analogy: Watch the opening scenes of John Wayne’s “Big Jake”. It’s coming, and no one pays much attention. As far as ebola is concerned, it’s HERE, NOW. Wake up!

Anyway, God be with you and give you a safe and happy trip, MountainBiker!

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Hey MountainBiker you know that the hotels do have computers to log on. Well have a great time, take it slow with all the news on the wife along the long drive. Let us know anything new you learn after your trip. Be careful on the long drive.

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

Dear MountainBiker. We will miss you till you back. Like Matt76 said, enjoy every moment with your friends and family. Relax – no need to stress about the stuff happening in the world.

And from personal experience. I’ve got some family that never wanted to hear anything ‘about all the negative stuff’. I kept on trying and gave their children flashlights instead of toys for their birthday’s. Gave medical kits for wedding gifts – and freeze dried food with small gas stove at a kitchen tea. Even had the uncle that made fun of me and other survivalist type family. And then the power started going of and they looked for the stove to make themselves coffee. The taps run dry. Every year the economy started pushing people ‘not so gently’ out of their comfort zones. In the last few months they are quietly preparing their skills. Running obstacle/mud races, shooting paintball. They’ve got their bug out location. With the tides turning, you will see some of the seed you planted – will start to grow.
    Please drive safe.

Profile photo of Ghost Prime
    Ghost Prime
    Survivalist
    member6

MB, while I admire your desire to bring your family up to speed, since I consider myself to be a Brother, please allow me to say I worry that having supplies to ” shelter in place themselves” will not allow your family members to avoid the marauders who will be searching for anyone with anything that might benefit them. You already know this but don’t lose sight of this when trying to help them. If they are not well armed AND mentally prepared to pull the trigger, you and I know they will have a real challenge trying to survive in a hunker down mode.

Sorry for bringing up unpleasant realities but I had to say it just to remind you how critical it is for our loved ones to understand just how bad a SHTF scenario will be. And it is coming, of that there can be no doubt.

Be safe Brother. I wish you well on your trip and a safe return home.

For God, Family, Country, & Liberty!

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Godspeed, MtB!

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Thanks all for your comments and well wishes and for holding the world together for another week. We’re back safe and sound and it is always a delight to see the grandbabies. They change so quickly! A few months makes a big difference.

Looks like lots of good threads and discussions to catch up on in the next few days too.

I can’t claim any successes in opening anyone’s eyes, though you never know if a kernel that is planted will yield fruit down the road. Much of the energy that I might have given over to those efforts was supplanted by my nephew’s situation. When he didn’t show up for the wedding we were all wondering where he was and then a couple hours into the reception my wife gets a text message from him saying there was trouble in paradise. Long story short he and his wife split up and things got ugly real fast with restraining orders and a custody fight over their 1 year old. The situation continues to get worse and I am emotionally and mentally drained from trying to help him. He’s an only child, his dad (my brother) is deceased, his mother is not in the picture, and my wife and I for all intents and purposes are his support network. He is smart, educated, extremely likeable, very hard working, and regretfully his parent’s child demonstrating the same inadequate impulse control and poor decision-making skills that they had. His parents were both attorneys and divorced when he was 3. His upbringing was chaotic and his adult life to date is repeating history. I have tried teaching him decision making, money management and other skills but most of the time it seems nothing is learned. I know that if I were the one who was deceased and my kids needed help that my brother would have done his best to help them, and so I owe it to him to keep trying to help his son. He is an adult and needs to get his own life in order and so maybe there is a lesson here in accepting that there are things I can’t control or fix.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

When my girls were small I would never be out of arm’s reach from them. It was nuts when they first started walking. Finally I figured out they will totter, fall down and then get back up. I regulated myself to standing back and helping only when there was blood or knots on the head.
    When he figures stuff out he will always know you are always near.
    Robin

Profile photo of Roadracer
    Roadracer
    Survivalist
    member7

Sympathize with you concerning your nephew. My eldest son, has struggled for the past 20 years with alcoholism. In and out of rehab, working, not working. Everyone knows the drill. I worry about him a lot. But, one day I realized that I could only do so much. I was working harder at his recovery than he was. Today, I pray and help where he will let me. My other two kids worry about there brother and do what they can to help him. We all embrace him with love, but also know he must stand on his own. We will keep your nephew in our prayers.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.