Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

My car has been in the dealer three times now. Each time I transfer my Get Home Bag and EDC from my car to a loaner the dealer provides.
    Today I pick up my car and I am rethinking what I have to transfer that may need a little TLC. I use a hard case for my long gun and a soft overnight bag for other stuff. My EDC med bag is also soft style.
    I use a combat load carrier so I can attach the bags and carry my long gun in my hands. I suspect I have over 60 lbs total without the gun case. I will ditch it when I start walking.
    Thinking about it this morning I realized I do not have a gun cleaning kit! I have spare batteries for the Red Dot and flashlight but no bug repellent!
    I will spread my stuff out when I get home and rethink my loadout.
    Robin

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Robin,
    The Bore Snake seems like one of the best choices for a bore brush.

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Interestingly, I have also been doing some thinking about my GHB. Currently, I have more of a bug out/get home truck with crap everywhere. The is definitely a need for me to consolidate and get a true bag going rather than my stuff bags of each type of gear and an empty bag to shove things in depending on what I need. This adds time needed to get my stuff together and doesn’t allow for me to grab my bag when I ride with something else.

So Robin: You carry a long gun in your GHB? How difficult does that make it to keep “under the radar” both while just lugging your stuff around as well as if there was something that happened?

http://ageofdecadence.com

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Yep, a High Point 45 acp carbine. My concealed carry is a Rock Island 1911 Officer style. I like it because it is 45 acp and has a bull barrel.
    Not really worried about having a long gun in the trunk. I will just say I was on my way to a friends house to do some shooting!
    Might be a tad difficult explaining the 600 rounds I carry! Guess I will just say I love to shoot (not a lie!)
    Robin

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

You guys might find this article Written by Prince Law Offices interesting,(Pennsylvania’s leading firearms attorneys)

“The first and perhaps most important consideration is that it is illegal in the state of Pennsylvania to have a loaded long gun in one’s vehicle. This is not purely out of a gun control related issue, but also out of game law and concerns about poaching (it is also illegal under the Uniform Firearm Act). Since one is generally not allowed to hunt from a car (without special permission from the Pennsylvania Game Commission), the presumption (rightly or wrongly) is that a person with a loaded long gun in their vehicle is going to attempt to take game from their car.”

http://blog.princelaw.com/2014/02/17/the-great-pennsylvanian-trunk-gun/

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I should rethink what I carry in my truck too. It is a hodge podge of potentially useful stuff but what I need to do is view it from a narrower perspective of the SHTF and I’m away from home, what will specifically aid me in doing that? I know I surely have some extraneous items that aren’t truly necessary. The always having a gun in the truck is a tough one. I probably average a couple trips to Massachusetts a month and even so much as a single spent cartridge in the truck could land me a year in jail. The risk is that I’d forget to remove any guns and ammo before heading down there.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Traveling out of state and being stripped of civil rights is really annoying. I was with my wife away from home over the weekend, still in Pa. But about 150 miles from home. Instead of brining a rifle I packed an extra handgun and more ammo. I thought having 2 concealed weapons might serve me well even if I was giving up range and power. I carry a lot of stuff in my EDC but when I’m far from home there are 2 items I feel are mandatory. My rain gear and water filter.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

I recommend having at least two LRP ration entree in your pack , they are small but add a bit of water and its actually a good meal , and decent amount of food . Some energy gels , like what the musclehead stores carry isnt a bad idea either . I keep one of those big German triangular bandanas in the pack also , good head coverage , and can be used as a sling for an injured arm .
    Robin , I have the current issue Russian load carrier , it works great , it has a large lower back support , and a few other interesting things on it . One thing that they do , is they have a small patrol pack that clips onto D rings on the shoulder straps , when you need something , you just flip the pack over your head , retrieve the item you want , then toss it back over your head again . Works very well . The old school US ( vietnam era ) load vest with the floating pistol belt , also has D rings on the straps . I have one of those also , but went Russian because its designed for an AK as the primary weapon . I was going to modify the old style US one for AK mags , but chose to use it for a shotgun based load out instead , love it though , good design . Fast on , fast off , the Russian one is that way also ( once you figure out how to put it together lol )

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Tolik, I really wanted to use my AK in place of the carbine but using it and the 1911 means I only carry one type of ammo. I bought my brothers Chinese AK when he needed cash. I would rather be the one that owned it in place of a stranger owing it. I use a radio bag (Alice bag connectors) and it holds 10 30 round mags of 7.62×39.
    I carry ramen noodles in single serving bags. Less weight and quick to fix.
    I will rethink the load carrier.
    Thanks
    Robin

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Robin ,
    The US Molle 200 rnd saw gun pouch is worth looking at , its not too big , but a lot bigger than most of the other pouches , its about half the size of the current issue sustainment pouch . I use one as a medical kit .

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

The only upgrade I’ve made lately is a bunch more 8 round mags to my pps. I walked into gander mountain one day and there they on sale. Its a cc so better to have extra loaded mags than boxes of 9 mm ballast. Total I added five and come out at 11. A couple of short grip, a medium and 8 full size mags. They all fit nicely in a little black 511 bag. Usually I take a small knapsack on longer trips. Also a hiking pole or 2 that extend to the desired length and are super light. I might carry a 22 backpack rifle occasionally but nothing full size although I’ve been rethinking that lately with a new stoeger 12ga coach gun. It breaks down into two manageable pieces and with Winchester pdx1 defender ammo or double ought is good enough for what it’s for.

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

I’ve been re-working GHB as well. Picked up ‘Ruger 10/22 Takedown’ which comes with a bag which can be developed into part of a kit for vehicle. I must say it’s become a handy .22 rifle on the road and Ruger makes 25 round magazine. In a pinch, I’ve taken small and large animals with .22LR

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

74 – BoreSnake, wonderful idea. Thanks
    Tolik, Chester – One reason I wound up with the High Point 45acp carbine is I went looking for a take down to carry in my GHB. Stoger and 10/22 both were on my mind. But I wanted to carry only one caliper of long gun and conceal carry. Over the past 10 years I have made a good friend out of a local pawn shop owner. I can order what I want and he charges me 10% over his prices. I found the 45acp carbine at his place. Went in looking for a Marlin Camp Rifle in 45acp. He pulled up the going rate (HOLY MACKERAL) and then showed me the High Point.
    Brulen – thanks for the hiking pole idea. That will help greatly!
    Robin

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

For a hiking/walking stick I use an old aluminum ski pole without a basket. The grip is well designed to take loads and support your hand. The loop is an open style for quick release if you need to drop it or get unattached. The tip is tungsten with 4 raised points and grabs into slippery wet rock crossing streams, the time I really need extra stability.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I always make sure that I have sneakers (summer) and insulated boots (winter) in my vehicles when I am away form home. Also socks, jeans, a hooded goretex jacket and in winter heavy duty gloves, a bomber style hat, and my winter weight Carhartt coat. Sometimes you are just not otherwise dressed properly for a long walk. For example last night I had a meeting in MA and was wearing a sports coat and tie and dress shoes, but I had what I needed in the truck in case I had to walk home. I also keep $500 – $1,000 cash in the truck just in case I need it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.