Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    flatlander
    flatlander
    Survivalist
    member2

Good step by step info.

http://ageofdecadence.com/restoring-hafting-old/ 

Excerpt…

Having a nice axe around is pretty important for the bushcrafting type person. Unfortunately, they get really expensive for a good one. The best brands (Wetterlings, GB, or a custom) all run over $100. Even though it is a great price when considering the quality of the item you are getting, it is still over $100. This is where being thrifty and putting in a little elbow grease can save your tail. By watching for vintage axes on Ebay, garages sales, or thrift stores you can get a top quality axe head that just needs a little TLC.

Take these three axe heads for instance. Two were given to me and one was purchased for $.50 from a garage sale. The carpenter’s axe and single bit are both True Tempers and the hatchet is a forged head from Germany. All are great quality tools that will give many more years of service if restored properly.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

flatlander, nice job with the axes. I like to find one to restore. I will keep my eye on the look out for one.

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

Thanks for the info Flatlander. Enjoyed the article. Brought up some interesting memories of my younger farm days. Hehe Hitting a metal wedge to help keep the wood wedge from sliding out over time is a good idea and can also prevent injury.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.