Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Saw this on Ancient Impossible. The Montiyard (I know, bad spelling. Considered and called the “Mountain People of Thailand.”) Loaned it out and it burned along with the owners house/workshop.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-a-Repeating-Crossbow/

Robin

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7
    Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Those bows are pretty cool…

Was watching Hisree Channel and that one English guy was going on about the Chinese and how advanced their weaponry was. They had this bow that mounted on a parapet and was used for long range shooting at bad guys as they approached the defensive wall…

It was actually three bows laid out in crossbow configuration, but the last one was backwards. One bowstring connected them all, and it shot a humungous arrow or bolt… was supposed to be accurate to one mile. Of course, “accurate” could mean “Hey! I hit their army!”….

HAH!!! Found it! The triple bow siege crossbow. The ones the Chinese made were truly huge, which accounts for their great power and range… always thought it would be cool to reproduce something like this, but with modern tech. Just to see how far away you can hit something reliably…

[attachment file=”triplebowsiegecrossbow8.jpg”]

[attachment file=”sketch-crossbow.jpg”]

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Malgus, Those must have been amazing. I suspect they were used against armored seige machines. Looking at the way they were designed with pulleys on the last bow makes them a bit like compound bows. That would double the poundage. I wonder how they designed the pulleys?

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

That would double the poundage. I wonder how they designed the pulleys?

Ya got me, brah…

I saw that thing and was like “WHOA!! I have GOT to build me one-a THEM!” If only to see how far the bolt… arrow… whatever… went. Could you imagine using modern bow tech applied to that design? You’d need a kevlar bowstring – or spectrex – so it wouldn’t break under the strain just to fire the thing.

Still, chunking a 6 foot arrow… or whatever… a freakin’ mile?!? It would have to come screaming in like a bolt from the Thundergod himself… I doubt any shield or armor would save you. Probably stapled guys right to the ground.

Just marching along and then “THONK!”
    “Holy crap!! BOB!!!”
    “Dude! What is that? Where did that even come from?!
    “What is this? I don’t even” – THONK!!
    “OHMYGAWD, STEVE!!!” Everyone hide! Take cover! It’s the apocalypse! Giant arrows falling from the sky!”

Most of the designs seem to use a double windlass to draw the bowstring back, which is predictable, since I doubt any one man could draw it back just using his hands. I’m more interested in the trigger mechanism and how it retained the string. Doesn’t seem like the old “falling block” would hold up too well, unless you modified it some…

This offers some insight…

http://www.grandhistorian.com/chinesesiegewarfare/siegeweapons-chuangzinu.html

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Spiderwire fishing line works well. Add as many strands as required then whip the ends and center. For this thing it might be wise to whip the entire string.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

I have seen reproductions of this , it worked well , but like you said , penetration was lacking and not all that effective in combat . The Chinese rocket powered arrow launcher on the other hand , was apparently very effective . Not terribly accurate , but they used them in mass to saturate an area . From accounts , it had a psychological affect on the enemy .

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

I am reminded of a story involving an American advisor with the Montagnard.
    The advisor and the Chief went out after a bunch of NVA/VC late one night.
    The ‘nard took some little bows and crossbows.
    The next day, they were sporting brand new SKS’ s and AK’s.
    The bows were put back for hunting, the guns used for war.
    The Chief took one of the SKS’ s, he could have had anything including a nice new M-16 but he chose the SKS, after all he had killed the previous owner.

Bows have their place, but not for fighting.
    This isn’t El Dorado with John Wayne, and even in that movie, the drawbacks were considered.
    There’s a reason these bows disappeared, they were impractical.
    And technology made them outdated.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.