Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 96 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

1974t150v Thanks for starting this post, I am very interested in learning more. Also look at the post I did on the knife I carry.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Thanks for starting this topic, as I mention before, here we have weird laws about weapons and everything connected to it, so some knowledge here not so easy to get.
    Looking forward to find out more about it.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Whirlybird, Bushrat and Melgus have a lot of experience to draw from just ask.

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

This might be helpful (links below). Reloading this year with my father-in-law. Mostly rifle and couple of my handguns 10mm Glock, .357, 7mm mag, 30-06

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com

http://www.amazon.com/Hornady-Edition-Handbook-Cartridge-Reloading/dp/B00A95QWGM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1397259686&sr=8-3&keywords=reloading+manual

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Thanks Chester,
    I posted this on another thread. It is a very basic instruction of the process. You can’t start reloadloading from watching or using this as a guide. It will show you the basic process.

http://www.rcbs.com/guide/

BobbyD
    BobbyD
    Survivalist
    member6

Gentlemen:
    I still have basic Lymen reloading equipment from youth days 55 yrs. ago but haven’t used it recently. Seems like lead and powder are now or will be in short supply. Noted that our last lead
    refiner was shut down by the EPA recently. Some have suggested that we now get lead left over from tire shops, cast-off wheel weights. Does this work? Have any of you tried getting lead from these sources? I am imagining that they would simply sell it as scrap material and recover some cost. Ammo made with imported lead is going to be even more expensive (if one can find it at all).
    When will supply and prices return to the good old days? This administration has played their cards very cleverly to put us in a box.
    BobbyD

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Bobby,
    I’m not overly concerned about the bullet supply. Some of the resources seem to be drying up for lead and there has been a big squeeze on lead for probably 45 years. You can use lead from all the sources you mentioned. It has various amounts of antimony (tin) so the hardness varies. Plus when it is melted the dirt and some alloy will float to the top and should be dipped off. No moisture can be present of it will act like an explosive in your face.

Hardness is important if you want to drive your projectile at higher velocities. Pure lead is soft and strips out in the barrel readily over 700 fps The accumulation metal (lead or copper) in the barrel destroys accuracy.

After shtf I think solid copper bullets will be popular. Should be lots of copper and will be available from a wide variety of sources. Cast the bullets then swage them to proper dimensions.

BobbyD
    BobbyD
    Survivalist
    member6

1974t150v
    Well, that’s interesting…….using copper for casting bullets. Is that something that can be easily done at home? What is the melting point of copper? Does it have to be alloyed for hardness? The last I heard, copper was pretty expensive. Around here they have a lot of trouble with thugs stripping out buildings for the copper b/c it sells for high bucks as scrap. What do you see as those plentiful sources of copper after SHTF? How about powder and primer availability today?

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Bobby,
    10,000 years ago people went from the stone age to using copper as the first metal weapons. I’m sure it can be done now at home. Solids have been in use for a long time, Barnes sells a lot of them. The metallurgy is better than plain copper but nobody will worry about that. Bullet design will change because copper is lighter than lead but not all that much.

Corbin reloading sells purpose built swaging presses and tools. http://www.corbins.com/ I don’t have one but I could build one with a 10 ton hydraulic jack that will get the job done.

Copper, Melting point
    1,984°F (1,085°C)
    With modern fire brick & blower technology, existing smelting furnaces, ceramic kilns, there are to many ways to melt copper to list.

As for getting copper after shtf…..miles of wire over your head.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

1974t150v, I think that even the penny can be used. But you are right copper is every were in a SHTF!

bushrat
    bushrat
    Survivalist
    member4

BobbyD, I’m not sure I would want to use cast copper. The idea is to swage copper as opposed to casting lead. To cast cooper you would have to have a furnace capable of around 2000 degrees. Lead only requires over 620 degrees. Not sure I would want to stand over or even fool with a 2000 degree oven trying to melt copper. Although there are instructions online for backyard copper smelters. And eventually someone may want to try it.

For copper swagging into bullets see http://www.corbins.com/intro.htm“> People have been doing this for years.

Now, my unofficial opinion on lead availability is that it will be a couple of years before it starts getting really lean. Of course I could be wrong. We are still getting lead from our local recycler for about .30 cents a pound. You can still find wheel weights, which are nice to have, but they are starting to become scarce in some areas of the country ever since the manufacturers switched over to zinc. As was mentioned, if there is dirt or other impurities it should float to the surface. And some states have outlawed the use of lead wheel weights and well as lead ammo, like California for example.

Anyway, look for lead from recycling places, salvage from shooting ranges (usually outdoor), wheel weights, old plumbing, online purchasing, old flashing from old buildings, old lead shielding from medical supply businesses, etc. Did you know the keels on some of the older boats use to be lead? And when I was a kid we used lead weights on our crab pots to hold them down. These are just some ideas. One thing has come up before, so some of you already know how I feel about it. But for some of you new to this topic, I strongly suggest you stay away from batteries. Whatever you be creative, and happy hunting. :)

bushrat
    bushrat
    Survivalist
    member4

1974t150v, darn, you beat me to it just as I was typing. ;)

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Bushrat feel free to jump in.

RROAMM
    RROAMM
    Survivalist
    member2

I have been reloading for 20+ years, started on a LEE single stage and worked my way up to the LEE progressives. I am looking for information on BLACK POWDER cartridges, Should the SHTF go past 2 years the amount of ammo out there is going to trend to zero in a rather rapid manner, I think that having the ability to load the original BP cartridges might just be a good thing to know.
    Selco or others in Europe. . . what are the laws regarding reloading? What about “black powder” firearms ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 96 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.