Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

I once worked with a woman years back , that I became good friends with , we would talk about things to pass the work day along . One time she told me a story , when we got on the subject of our current relationships of who we were dating .
    THis woman was married before , it was not perfect , but she did love her late husband . She said that one time they were fighting about something petty , and said a lot of nasty things to each other , before they went to work ……..later that day , her husband was killed in a car accident . She never got the chance to say she was sorry and she did not mean what she said …….that fact has always bothered her still , years later . That got me to thinking , Being in middle age , and having experienced loss of loved ones myself , I decided , that her story , was not going to be me …period .

So I decided that every time I leave my girl , I tell her I love her ( weather I feel that or not at the time ) ……So if anything happened to me , the last words she remembered from me were positive , romantic ? ….not really , there are no start overs in life sometimes , and life itself can be taken away when we least expect it , sometimes with unfinished business attached . This will be especially true when SHTF , make sure that the ones you leave behind have something positive to remember .
    Just Sayin . That used to drive my current girl crazy …..untill I told her that womans story …..now she does it to .

Hannah
    Hannah
    Survivalist
    member6

Tolik,
    I make it a point to tell my family I love them everytime we hang up the phone or say goodbye.
    I definitely understand your reason for doing this and its very respectable!
    Hannah

TheRumpledOne
    TheRumpledOne
    Survivalist
    member1

I understand and respect your opinion.

But, hearing “I love you” over and over again makes it mean less and less.

It is like when someone says, “Hi. How are you?” Some people don’t really want to take the time to listen to how you are doing. It is just a polite greeting.

To me, “I love you” should be filled with heartfelt emotion when spoken not a knee-jerk reaction to ending a conversation.

Please do not take my comments the wrong way. I am not saying I am right or criticizing you. I am merely expressing my opinion on the topic.

Thank you for sharing.

anika
    anika
    Survivalist
    rreallife

I understand, TRO… I feel the same way. I would much rather have a show than a tell. :) Thanks for sharing the story, Tolik – something to remember!

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Believe me , we do plenty of both ;)

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Its all in the delivery …..

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Thanks for sharing this Tolik.
    It is about enjoying the life, and sharing that with people you care about, many times when hard times came I was sorry that I did not say or do something, some chances are lost forever.
    Being prepared is also about enjoying good time while they last.

Profile photo of Ron S
    Ron S
    Survivalist
    member6

Tolic, Thank you for sharing. I also tell my loved ones that I love them when we part. I was 37 years old before my Father told me that he loved me( he demonstrated it many times over but never said the words). I resolved that my loved ones would not have to wait that long before I said the words. Some years ago, my Wife went down to check the mail( about half a mile) . When she didn’t return within a suitable time, I called to find out what delayed her but got no answer on her Cell. I called repeatedly but still no answer. Then my Son started calling. After a couple of hours, someone finally answered the cell and said he was an orderly in the hospital. He said my Wife had been in an automobile accident and could not come to the phone. Her neck was broken and she was in a coma for around two weeks. Now, neither one of us leaves the house without telling each other that we love them, but also kissing each other goodbye. It may be our last opportunity.

anika
    anika
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Oh yikes, Ron! I am so glad she made it out of that in the end.

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

I learned that years ago as well. My grandmother told us it doesn’t matter how mad you are. When you leave always say I love you, this as so applies to going to sleep at night. After the fire that took three children in my home, at least I can say each child heard I love you as their last words before they went to sleep and never wont up.

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Ron, how you survived that phone call? Speaks a great deal about you.
    Gypsy – what is there to say? It is already clear in just a few short days of words on a screen – you are an amazingly strong, resilient, creative person that is unafraid to pour her love forth to those she loves. The children no longer with you and those that are, I feel sure have never doubted your love for them. I admire you so much.

Profile photo of hillbilly chic
    hillbilly chic
    Survivalist
    member2

its truely a pleasure to be allowed a window into the lives and hearts of you all your storys have all touched my heart and for that im truely greatful resillence and courage and an unwillingness to give up seem to permeate all your personal stories makes me proud to be aquainted with you allmy family growing up was not affectionate i guess we all assumed we loved oneanother like ron my mother couldnt say i love you so on my 21 birthday she sat at the kitchen table and cried as she wrote she loved me in the bday card never had as good a bday since that day then i decided this would not carry on with my children or family i wouldnt then or till now let us part without a kiss on the cheek and i love you being said my oldest brother comitted suicide and oone of the most precious things to me was eventho i hadnt seen him for 3 years in my spirit i knew i needed to see him so i made the trip i got to say i loved him before i left and before he did thanks for shareing all yall

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I’m not one that’s good with words but my heart does go out to you gypsy for the tragedy that you suffered and to everyone else here who has suffered in their life. Thank you for sharing what you have.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Let me put it too you this way , for the I dont say things like that crowd . The other person might need that . THis extends to the work place , I judge a person for their character , and I have fired people who are too proud to give an apology for wrong doing in the work place . I have given subordenents a choice ” You will go apologize to so and so , or you can roll up your Sh*t right here and now , and get the F*ck off my job site ” . If your not man enough to admit a wrong doing …………..you dont work for me .

Profile photo of tukie2
    tukie2
    Survivalist
    member3

Went through the same thing with my husband. I was lucky enough that even though we were arguing, his last word were about how angry he was,he said,” I love you more than anything in the world, but I just can’t deal with this right now.” I agreed and said, I loved him too, and we would deal with it tomorrow. (He was drinking) He died that night. I have always been blessed because I couldn’t have imagined fighting being the last thing….it would have killed me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.