Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Reinforcing of your home will be necessary from the point of making it harder for the attacker to penetrate inside (or projectiles).
    In my case I am using steel bars for windows, and having ready steel covers for it. Pieces of plywood are ready too.
    It make sense to pay attention of blending in, so if you add something make sure that you do not stick out too much.
    Heavy duty sand (or dirt) bags in combination with plywood (or plank) was good protection in past, so I also have that ready to put in “function” very fast.

Steel plates on door were good option. Having some plants planned earlier outside make sense for this plan too.
    And here it is easier in a way, because wooden houses are very rare.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Selco, Here in Miami, Florida many have hurricane proof windows which I have, they are strong. I am going to buy the hurricane steel shutters to add to them since now they are cheap since everyone is using the hurricane proof windows.
    In an SHTF the hurricane shutters will not be easy to take down.

I like the idea of having one door in the front with steel bars with two locks and one in the back too so if you do get run down by a big group you have a way out though the back. I do plan to reinforce the two steel bar doors.

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

Don’t forget, if you make it hard for someone to get into your home, it’ll be impossible for you to get out. Murphy likes to hit you where it hurts, right in the hindsight.

But yes, I do agree with securing the home. Just remember to be able to have ways of getting out (especially important when there is a fire, not just when some bad people are inside).

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

It has to be a complete collapse of civility for me to do this to my house. I want to divert all trespassers around the sides of the house toward the rear. I have a low 4′ retaining wall across the front of the house. Directly in front of the wall and in between the wall and the house, I will cover in spike boards. On top of the wall I will glue broken glass bottles.

The ground level is reinforced concrete with a brick veneer. There are 4 windows on this level. I have a pile of 2″x 8″s to screw/nail across the wndows. Outside I will pile dirt & stones against the 2″x8″s. I will have hidden firing positions on this floor. I will cut ladder holes between the ground and next floor.

Second floor provides escape routes from the home to a woods covered hill. Hidden armored fring positions (1/2″ steel plate). Front door nailed shut covered with 2x8s.

Hill overlooking house will be fortified with natural looking bunkers with shooting lanes down each side. Side yards will have one irregular path through it covered with spike boards.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Of course Mr. Red, that is the reason why it make sense to always have exit, if possibly hidden.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

1974t150v, You are ready my friend! I am 50% so need more work.

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

Good topic. Thanks Selco. Your point about blending in is very important. Be able to roll with full fortification right away if need be. I make use of security cameras, motion activated lighting (also battery powered), and dogs. The idea of escape route is a good one.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Explosives ………..I’m a big fan of them , think shrapnel and shredding . Think deceptive planting of them , like fake electrical boxes , sprinkler systems , etc. remotely controlled for areas you need to blast when inside .

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Lol you might have to explain yourself if shtf ends. I thought maybe I would put on a fire works display for the nieghbors. What do you know about smooth bore mortars for those big boomers?

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Freedom It’s nice to have friends.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

1974t150v If I go to your place when the SHTF don’t shot first and then ask if it is Freedom! Remember I am a friend!

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I’l give you the password before it hits. Besides I think Tweva has the best set up for the long haul:)

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

1974t150v and Freedom- if the time comes that you need to BO let me know! The more the merrier. Three times yesterday I witnessed people 20 years younger than myself (in my 50’s) physically be unable (and of course not really willing) to do things I myself would think nothing of/could easily do. As bad as they were at the time to live through, I feel so fortunate to have faced my adversities in my younger life because it is now standing me in very good stead. Thanks for your comment on my setup 1974t150v – we shall see. But honestly?
    After witnessing these younger peeps not even be able to: lift a 40lb bag of topsoil, complain that no one else had stopped to help them and they had stood by their car needing gas for 1 hr in the ‘hot’ sun (70 degrees) and what? – walk to that gas station less than 1 mile down the country road – too far/hard?, and be absolutely astounded I would ask them to help me lift a small (very small) tree that had fallen across the road?

The ‘golden hordes’…won’t make it 2 miles on foot on the flat much less over my ‘hills’ to find me. I’m concentrating on concealing more than fortifying at the moment. Those that do manage to stagger out here, manage to climb over the many felled large trees in the road….don’t want to encourage them to come collapse on my front porch.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Tweva,
    Omg, I’m starting to feel like the voice of doom. Please don’t underestimate your enemies.

If you are under 100 miles from DC a lot of people can and will make it that far. On 1 tank of gas most cars will go about 400 miles. If we have a financial collapse all the cars will run until the gas runs out. Much closer are many towns fiilled with the unwary.

All those golden children are not who I would be worried about. The hungery, desperate and evil people will come. Guys in big pickups that were prepping in bars, and low life’s that have been waiting for wide spread lawlessness so they can do what ever they want without worry. Desperate families with nothing that will ask but take when it is refused. They will find you.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

One thing I’ve learned both from history and from personal experience is that you have to make the place you live look like crap..

I shall explain.

Back during WWI, when the Brits showed up and started digging trenches, everything had to be neat and clean, dress right dress. The trenchlines of the Brits were very orderly and neatly constructed. They looked with derision on the German lines, which looked like a trash dump – barbed wire strung higgeldy-piggeldy, garbage thrown about, sandbag walls constructed how-the-hell-ever…

However, the Brits soon found out why they looked that way – camouflage. If someone is shooting at you from a concealed position, and there are literally thousands upon thousands of places he could be hiding, you don’t have a hope of finding the right place to shoot back… but, if your digs look neat and clean, it’s pretty much an easy thing to spot where fire is coming from.

Rather like opening ONE window in an apartment building to shoot out of… think they’ll figure out where it’s coming from?

And who says you have to use a window to shoot out of anyways? Why not schlep a bunch of sandbags and timbers upstairs into the attic and make a rifle loophole in the roof? You can take fire from all sides with enough sandbags, and only need a tiny opening to shoot out of… I doubt anyone would ever see you. And please, DON’T stick the rifle barrel out the loophole… you can even back up a couple feet… so long as you have a good view and the bullet passes cleanly out the loophole, who cares? No way they’d ever see you. Just mystery bullets from nowhere… :)

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.