Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Amanda11
    Amanda11
    Survivalist
    member3

The last few days my hubby has been very sick with a stomach flu. Like a lot of people, when he’s feeling ill he prefers to simply sleep and be left alone. He also refuses to go to the doctor, which can be incredibly frustrating.

Yesterday was the third day of his illness. I’ve been making soup and broths for him (it’s usually all he wants when he’s sick, but he didn’t feel like eating), and while he was drinking water, with a stomach flu you’re not really keeping fluids in your body. He was starting to show signs of dehydration: confused about the date, and acting lethargic. When I gently pinched the skin on the top of his hand by the knuckle, it stayed “tented”.

In my medical supply kit I has a few packets of ORS (oral rehydration solution) that I bought at an outdoor supply store as an afterthought while in line. If you’ve never used them, it’s a salt/sugar combination dissolved into a liter of water. I made the liter and insisted he slowly drink some by the cupful. After some convincing (me telling him it was this or I was calling an ambulance) he did, and the change was absolutely amazing. Within a half-hour he was much more alert, and after an hour he was sitting up and chatting away, asking for something to eat. I’ve never used the ORS before, but after this I’m definitely investing in more.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Amanda – thank goodness! It is amazing the difference after someone gets dehydrated. But, you can make your own at home – it is cheaper. Just print this out and keep it in a safe place (and of course ‘ya hafta store the stuff to make it :) )

Profile photo of Broadside
    Broadside
    Survivalist
    member3

Amanda, kudos for not only handling the situation on your own but also convincing one of us stubborn men to follow directions when not feeling well. The latter is more difficult to do in my opinion.

Drinking by the cap full every five to ten minutes is great. In my experience patients balk at any volume they have to drink, but tend to do well with 1-2 oz medicine cups. Gatorade and pedialyte work well too.

Tweva, thanks for posting the instructions. The OHS are a good thing to have in go bags, cars, and mobile kits for when you’re not at your base supply, but are even more important to know how to make yourself. Maybe the instructions would be good to keep with mobile kits as well on a laminated 3×5 card or something just in case.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

For years, one of my must haves when I’m down with the flu is a couple cans of Coke. For whatever reason, the sugar, caffeine and sodium in it have been a better pick me up, at least until I can handle more substantial things.

Gatorade, it varies from flavor to flavor if it stays down.
    And saltines. But not just saltines, but saltines and a salt shaker.
    Lick the top, add more salt and down the hatch.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Thanks for the directions tweva. They are very clear. I printed them out. I have lots of salt and sugar in my preps of course but I also keep a few bottles of salt tablet because I tend to become salt-deficient and start getting leg cramps if I do a major exertion in the summer (like a 100 mile bike ride or just plain hard labor all day in the sun). I have gatorade in my preps and just added a few bottles of pedialyte in my baby supplies. I have to check on the rice cereal for babies. I bought some cereal a few days ago but don’t recall what kind. Not sure what oral rehydration salts are but I’ll look for them when I go shopping, and zinc supplements too.

Profile photo of Amanda11
    Amanda11
    Survivalist
    member3

Thank you for the link for directions, Tweva! This is now an essential part of my medical supply – I still can’t believe how well it worked. It was like night and day in just over an hour.

And thanks Broadside! I’ll never understand the “I’m tougher than this” mentality, so I pick battles only when it seems like he truly needs help. The little packets were definitely handy. After reading the ingredients (and direction link), I see they’re exactly the same, though I’ll have to make it a point to put the mix in something other than a plastic bag. I was laughing thinking if my car were to be searched how I’d explain that the little baggie of white crystals in my car was OHS.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.