Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

What would be your ‘top five’ recommended books (pdf or physical) for:

1) Urban Preparedness
    2) Wilderness Survival?

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

How ya doing Toby.
    Are you going to be teaching a college course in off grid survival? Or is this shtf Darwinism.

Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

I teach full time already. I’m just aware I maybe missing out on some great resources. I know my ‘top five’ I’m just really, really interested to hear what other folks have as there ‘go to’ references and recommendations.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Maybe you should go fo the top 100. The whole area is growing by leaps and bounds. You could almost date people in generations by the books they choose. Age group by book choice. lol

Whats your favorite prepper tv series? Of course they don’t reflect a persons combat mindset. Thats a whole different genre. Some overlap though.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Toby C wrote:</div>What would be your ‘top five’ recommended books (pdf or physical) for:

1) Urban Preparedness<br>
    2) Wilderness Survival?

1:
    The Modern Survival Manual: Surviving the Economic Collapse (by Fernando “Ferfal” Aguirre)
    Ragnar’s Urban Survival: A Hard-Times Guide to Staying Alive in the City (by Ragnar Benson)
    Survival: Live Off the Land in the City and Country (by Ragnar Benson) Older but well worth the time.

After that, they all kind of repeat the same stuff and are almost mind numbing with the similarities.

2:
    98.6 Degrees: The Art of Keeping Your Ass Alive (by Cody Lundin)
    Bushcraft 101: A Field Guide to the Art of Wilderness Survival (by Dave Canterbury)
    Essential Bushcraft (by Ray Mears)
    Camping and Woodcraft: A Handbook for Vacation Campers and for Travelers in the Wilderness (2 Volumes in 1) (by Horace Kephart)
    Camp-Lore and Woodcraft (by Daniel C Beard)

and honorable mention to:
    SAS Survival Handbook (by John ‘Lofty’ Wiseman)

Yes some are older, but some of the older information isn’t available in the same manner/fashion as it once was.
    And yes, both Lundin and Canterbury are represented, they both have a great deal of information regardless of what you see on TV.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Urban Survival…. Wilderness Preparedness

Ferfal

The SAS Mental Endurance Handbook by Chris McNab

Fry the Brain – The Art of Urban Sniping in Modern Guerrilla Warfare by John West

Ecodefense – A Field Guide to Monkey Wrenching Second Edition by Dave Foreman

Be Ready When the **** Goes Down by Forrest Griffin

Tools for Survival – What You Need To Survive When You’re On Your Own by James Wesley, Rawles

Profile photo of stingray
    stingray
    Survivalist
    member2

I definitely second Ferfal and SAS Survival Handbook, and I’d add “The Gift of Fear”, by Gavin De Becker and “Violence, Blunders, and Fractured Jaws” by Marc MacYoung

Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

Brulen – A great question, but I don’t have a TV so am not in a good position to answer on what my favourite series is, sorry… What’s yours?

Some great titles that I am not familiar with coming out in this thread guys, thank you…!

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>stingray wrote:</div>I definitely second Ferfal and SAS Survival Handbook, and I’d add “The Gift of Fear”, by Gavin De Becker and “Violence, Blunders, and Fractured Jaws” by Marc MacYoung

The only problem with deBecker, he’s anti-gun.

Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

There is a plus (flip) side to that, in that there are many people in countries where gun ownership is just not an option. So having alternatives or strategies without the presence of firearms for defence, can be useful.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Toby, the problem with deBecker is he advocates not resisting.
    That having and using a weapon, you are more likely to have it taken away and used against you. That it is better to let the bad guy have what he wants in the hopes he doesn’t hurt you.

I have a duty to protect my family.
    I will not prostrate myself to any man in the hopes no harm may come to them.
    They will surrender or suffer the consequences, be it with a firearm, sword, pair of chopsticks or my bare hands.
    But I will be keeping my firearms so I don’t have to use the less effective means, regardless of any laws.

I feel sorry for those subjects in occupied countries such as Britain. Where defense is punished harder than crime.
    And then I remember, you have four options:
    Break the law, have the gun and knife and to hades with the parlimentary ponces.
    Leave, even South Africa which is its own level out of Dante’s Inferno, still has firearms and the right to defend oneself.
    To quote Trent Reznor, “Bow down before the one you serve, you’re going to ger what you deserve”.
    Or stand up, gather together and change the laws. Grow a pair and remind those in office that they serve you not the other way around.

I will add that most places that suffered British rule post 1800 suffer from the same attitude and general laws. I would not be looking there.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Sorry for the thread jack.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Toby,
    In most places where guns are forbidden criminals still get guns to use on unarmed victims. In fact criminals use this to their advantage all the time and is part of their plan when attacking. In practical terms there are no viable substitutes for firearms. Never bring a knife to a gun fight.

Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

I’m not debating the innate advantages of firearm ownership. However as it is not an option for many (unless you want to illegally obtain one) then alternate strategies are necessary and needed. Inasmuch it’s better to bring a knife to a gun fight than no knife at all…

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Toby, I realize the reality of your comments, unfortunately for those in that live in that situation they’ve been screwed by their governments. Perhaps you’d like to share some of these strategies in a new thread?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.