Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

A handful of like-minded friends were over last evening.to help with a homestead project. Over dinner later we began to discuss post SHTF. We are all in our 50’s and pro-active people by nature. We are all also people who prefer to produce plans – A,B,C,D and more.

One friend in particular started the conversation about rebuilding post SHTF. ‘You can imagine and try and prepare for all these different possible scenarios as you still keep a foot in this current world. But, whatever sparks the shi*t, assuming some of us survive the initial aftermath – then what? THAT bothers me most. Then what? No one seems to be talking about that – or making any plans. That is crap-tastic to me.’

These friends are also part of our little local group that has slowly been clearing/making a perimeter trail around our little village for security/opsec purposes. We all have small or large farms. We have been making some slow progress in locating others outside our immediate little village and developing ways to communicate through signals and other means with them when needed.

As a group we had a pretty lively discussion. Here re the areas we came up with that we think we need to make immediate plans for post SHTF – once the shock has worn off etc.

1) possible body and animal carcass removal.disposal with some sort of record keeping for the human kind
    2) a place/means to somehow centrally communicate with locals that survive that are not currently like-minded and don’t know our group system of communication of relevant news/information
    3) some system or means to collect information from those willing to share it of what resources/skills/equipment are available to others in the community if needed and how to access them
    4) a means to coordinate our growing of crops where excess is built in for trade so that, for example, we all aren’t growing and expecting excess of the same thing (for trade or to help others) – we all are growing excess soybeans when we/community needs excess corn, wheat, alfalfa etc.
    5) a location for a small mill for grinding grains (more than a darn hand mill)
    6) a plan for an inventory of surviving breeding stock for various animals
    7) a location/plan for a central meeting place
    8) develop a team for potential community hazard removal (beyond bodies/carcasses)

That’s as far as we got. But, we made plans to continue exploring/developing plans next meeting. (Huh – after we help one of the group bring in his first hay cutting this weekend! Unh.)

Comments, thoughts, helpful pointers?

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Tweva,

Along these line of thinking I think making resource maps would be beneficial.  You might need more than one map for the same area to keep them from being to cluttered. I have yet to make my own but have been thinking about one map for raw materials,  quarries, and bulk items like coal. Another for finished goods, like every pharmacy & agro supplier, etc.

On the mill, water was always the power of choice in the past.  If your group does use water, take the flow from the bottom of the pond with a pipe into an enclosed turbine/wheel house. Then your mill wont freeze up as much in the winter. Sturbridge Village has 2 working mills that would be good study pieces. Using modern bearings, shafts and grears should make building one with good efficency pretty easy.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

1974 – Thanks for the use of maps idea. I hadn’t started to think in a concrete way on the items yet and that makes a faster start. And, great! The mill pointer. Yes, 3 of us have large ponds – one has enough incoming source water to be using micro-hydro now. Hmm Again, many thanks

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

To get the most power out of water, create or use the highest to lowest points possible. 10 feet of water column creates 4.4psi static pressure.  I’ll get back to you later with some calculations to demonstrate the potential.  Gotta go to work.

Profile photo of She-Wolf
    She-Wolf
    Survivalist
    member1

It is good to have an immediate plan for right after the SHTF and that should be your first look. But I would also look hard at the various other resources of the area, most importantly human recourses.

One of the major downfalls of an epic event of long duration, such as a war, is the loss of “tribal knowledge.” Will you have the next generation at over 90% illiteracy rates? Will you draw on the knowledge of those who know how to rebuild your area? Will you make sure that knowledge is not lost to the next generation?

In Afghanistan the child mortality rate is 20%. Unfortunately, the main reason is not due to lack of medical care, but lack of hygiene, vector control and first aid. This basic information died with the elders. With an average life expectancy of 41 and a 25 year old war, those who knew these basics had died and the information died with them.

What are your plans for sustaining the next generation?

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Thank you SheWolf – will add this to the list for discussion. This will take a lot of thought. Most of this particular group have large libraries personally and homeschooling materials but this will, I suspect, need another approach.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I see a big problem with digitized information being lost.  Today you can goggle a question about any engineering issue and come up with a plethora of answers.  After shtf?  I guess having a a few college libraries paticularly the engineering, scientific schools on my list of resources would be a good idea.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Good points She-Wolf !

Even in short term collapses like war that “lack of knowledge” is visible. I remember that when SHTF and we lost the electricity and water and everything else, suddenly we started to look at the older folks for some practical knowledge that they used when they were kids.

And problem was that majority of that was simply lost.

Having some kind of carefully chosen library make sense here, knowledge will be valuable.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

You might try poking around “Ark Two.”

Robin

http://webpal.org/SAFE/aaaarktwo/index.htm

Profile photo of Hillbilly
    Hillbilly
    Survivalist
    member3

Good topic, for us it’s all about our community first. We live 6 miles from a small town. Since gold is a commodity found in the rivers and creeks around here, I figure that we can organize a work detail and a security force to protect our finds. The plan is to use this wealth for the community and it’s restoral. Gold will always have intrinsic value, maybe not at first but after a while we can use it to purchase needed equipment and supplies.
    I know that you can’t eat the stuff, but I bet I can trade a coffee can full of it for a badass tractor or some other food producing machinery… You did say long term, so after the initial shtf event and assuming that we survive it, our preps should take us into the post system collapse long enough to consider a “Rebuild” locally.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

It will depend on who wins the civil war .

Profile photo of lonewolf
    lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

when SHTF we are definitely on our own, and as for rebuilding-who wants to rebuild something that probably caused the collapse in the first place?

British Survivalist.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

lonewolf, the rebuilding would surely look different than whatever existed pre-SHTF but something new would surely emerge. In a small country (geographically speaking) like the UK, is the culture also sufficiently cohesive so that the rebuilding would quickly have a common theme to it (vs divergent factions with greatly differing ideas as to how to rebuild)? The size and history of the US is such that we have very different cultures regionally, though the urban/suburban vs smalltown/rural differences are likely the largest. Not sure how that would be reconciled in a rebuilding effort.

Profile photo of lonewolf
    lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

not necessarily, I keep hearing about people talking about rebuilding post SHTF and they always seem to want what went before, I can never understand that, I would want something different, when SHTF its probably not going to be rebuilt in my lifetime, that would come years, decades, even centuries down the line-depending on the severity of the event. anything that’s stops the status quo for more than a few days, weeks or even months is going to have a profound affect on what follows.

British Survivalist.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Rebuilding in the USA is going to be ugly. Government plans are based on perpetuation of existing control and laws. As Mtb mentioned all the differnt factions will cause friction.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.