Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

This morning I received a call from one of my kids. I guess my other daughter’s house burned down today. She lost everything due to an Xfinity router catching fire. Luckily, she is active duty in the Army and this happened in base housing. They already have Army relief hooking her up with temp housing, Red Cross is covering the vet bills for her dog, housing provides insurance for them so that will help and she has already been in contact with legal to get a lawsuit going against Xfinity for their equipment starting the fire.

This happening just made me think….. I moved a lot of preps to different storage units. Even though it costs me money every month, this really is a cheap insurance policy to some degree. If something does happen, whether it be SHTF or just a house fire/flood/whatever, at least I am not losing EVERYTHING. Considering that this type thing can happen, how many of you distribute your preps so that you don’t lose everything if something like this happens?

http://ageofdecadence.com

Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

Sledjockey, so very sorry to hear about your daughter – insurance, lawsuits, quick move to a new housing unit, etc., still don’t take away from the trauma of suddenly looking at a pile of ash (or blown away or flooded house), and the reality that everything we live with, use, enjoy, cherish, is gone. And somehow that impacts me even more when it’s someone on active duty. Our prayers are with your daughter and her family.

But your post points out a good idea – no single point storage for the things we could need most in a disaster of any sort. We do backup with computers, many complex systems many of us have worked with over the years have built in redundancy, etc. But food storage, and other prep equipment/materials? Ours is almost all under one roof – dumb! I kinda-sorta-just-a-little-bit, thought about it every now and then, but then never got a round tuit. And consequently, just had one of those palm-to-forehead slapping moments as I said, “DUH!” upon reading your post. Gotta get me one of those round tuits. Thanks much for the post. New Year’s resolution added.

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint GeorgiaSaint.
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Sled,
    Sorry to hear about your daughter’s fire losses. Good thing is she wasn’t hurt, everything else is just stuff, no matter how much we like our stuff.

Don’t keep all your eggs in one basket is a valid approach to high value items (measured in any fashion).

When there were mountain men trading furs, many built two cabins in case one burnt down during the winter. Survival without shelter was impossible.

To everyone..Happy New Year. I hope it’s a good one for everyone.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Sorry for your daughter, at least nobody was hurt.

All of my stuff is here at the house. My son currently stores some of his stuff at my house on the basis that the plan has long been this is where he’d head come SHTF. He currently lives in a small city right about 2 hours from here.

My son is starting construction in the spring on a home in the countryside that’ll put him a little over an hour from here, and with no population centers between here and there. It’ll be a much better situation and for the 1st time will give us a backup option. When the house is done and he’s moved we can rethink our plans.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Sometimes, all the eggs in one basket is the only real option.

This is one example of a good reason to keep cash available if not on you. That $1000 in your wallet can pay for hotels, meals and a change of clothes or two until the insurance company can catch up with you.

And as the odds are much greater for a personal “SHTF” than anything national, it’s something that one really needs to pay attention to.

sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

I have actually been toying with the idea of putting a small cache of basic hiking/camping equipment, a bit of ammo and a ghost AR in a storage unit just over the mountain range. So far, I just have a few in cheap storage units up and down the I-5 corridor. Getting one heading East seems like a good idea. If nothing else, I could always stop by it (like I do to my other ones) and use/replace whenever I go hunting/camping. It makes it easy since I know I am much closer to gear if I forget or lose something I need.

Just one more of the things that I want to do, but it is on my “buy when I see it” type list to get the gear and drop it off. Storage units are pretty cheap in small towns. The small closet ones I have are about $40 a month.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Interesting. A router that’s on even when you’re not using it causes a fire. It has two antennas right? Just like mine. We leave our router on all the time and it never occurred to me they could catch fire and burn a house down. I think we’ll be turning our router off in the future when we’re not home. And the microwave, and the tvs and the video machines. You never know.

We’ve thought about a storage unit but so far haven’t done it. We would probably stuff it full of junk. Some people rent pods as an option. One of our neighbors though wanted to rent a pod and the company contacted the town to find out if there were regulations against them. Well there weren’t any but the town wrote a new ordinance virtually overnight requiring a permit. Good for one month at a time up to 3 months. Can’t be extended, Demos in action. Think globally, punish locally.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by Profile photo of Brulen Brulen.
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

The modem/router was sitting directly on the carpet so it, at some point, got hot enough to ignite the small fibers of carpet. It essentially was a heat source on jute twine type fibers.

I found a storage unit that offers 4×6 sizes about 100 miles East of where I live for $39/month. Looks like a few month wait so I put myself on the list.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

When electronics are placed on the floor many times the cooling vents get blocked off by carpet. It’s not surprising that a fire could occur.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

A stereo receiver at work recently had some issues.
    The case when tested was over 160f.
    All because the cooling vents had been blocked.

We may not be dealing with vacuum tubes anymore but electronics need to stay cool.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.