Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Brulen, At home I have to many weapons to pick from. My big dog alerts me when someone is close. But the area I live is a small city close to Miami called Coral Gables and there police is real good. They get here in 5 minutes so that is very fast. Anything I see outside I call and they are here.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I watched it once. The shooter is moving around knowing he has nothing to fear. He makes an easy shot walking up to the cop who is incapacitated immediately.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>freedom wrote:</div>Brulen, At home I have to many weapons to pick from. My big dog alerts me when someone is close. But the area I live is a small city close to Miami called Coral Gables and there police is real good. They get here in 5 minutes so that is very fast. Anything I see outside I call and they are here.

Ignatius Piazza in his attempting to sell me a membership had a video of a guy and his family murdered down there. Two guys walked up to the back door crashed in and shot everyone inside. Full view of video cams. Took about 2 minutes or less.
    Nice place Coral Gables but I think the weather up here is better. Zero and below tonight.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Brulen wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>freedom wrote:</div>I had a hard time watching the police officer get shot that didn’t have a gun. I can’t believe a police officer in France didn’t have a gun. They must of had some Intel of terrorist working on something before this happen so they needed all there police to have a handgun.

Looking at some close up footage I think the shooter missed and hit the concrete. But I could be wrong.

It did hit the concrete, it didn’t miss.

Profile photo of c
    c
    member7

Thanks Toby C, I found your summary at the beginning very interesting. I will read the three links with interest. Again, thanks for the very useful information. :)

I don’t really have anything to add but I think for many people it’s hard to stay “conscious” in city environments. I wonder if it is because our “primitive” senses are in overload. To avoid overloading our primitives senses we shut them off. Of course, most of the time this is a good strategy in a city but could be deadly in a unexpected situation.

There is a “lovingkindness” walking meditation that I have used very successfully to keep conscious in cities and large groups of people. While walking through the city, it requires looking at the face (and eyes) of every people I pass. This can be considered a act of aggression (looking at people) so in my mind I say “lovingkindness to you” as I pass the person I see. I do not smile (unless I am returning a smile) or say anything to the person I pass.

By the way, within 20-30 minutes of doing this lovingkindness walking meditation, people start spontaneously smiling at me, which I return. If I do the meditation long enough people I do not know will greet me on the street. I have no logical explanation for this reaction from people from me doing a “mental” exercise. I must be doing something to myself that makes me less threatening, some non-verbal (body language) that is communicating somehow. By the way, this meditation makes me feel really great and happy!

Don’t take my word for it. Try it yourself and see if you get the same result. I would be interested to hear either way.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Thanks Toby! Good points, and to others too.

I like to keep my “ear on the ground”, for example you can see lot of things if you look and observe how some groups of people behave.
    It is good advice to look how part of society that is on the other side of law do their business, because they usually smell the trouble, people like smugglers, drug dealers, small type criminals etc.
    Or it can be simple like watching how few guys are walking, do they carry weapon under jackets or similar.
    Definitely world is becoming more dangerous, and it looks like we gonna have events like thin everywhere, so it make sense to be more alerted.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

C
    There are certain parts of our subconscious we can not “turn off”. Our brains take in mass amounts of information every second. Our reactions however can be “turned off”. Our brain picks up info and sends a message to the body, much like sending an email. You can read the message or you can leave it in your inbox. I’m sure Whirli can attest to this but a persons eyes will often tell you what they have in mind. “The eyes are the window to the soul.” Because we get so busy we shut down our desire to worry or care about those around us. Your exercise of loving kindness thoughts is an example of something waking up in you that has gone dormant. the longer you do it the more awake that part of you becomes. The more awake it becomes the more your eyes project that intension. That is why people’s responses increase as you go along. My wife used to really be bothered by the fact I don’t know a stranger. We would be standing in line at the supermarket and I would strike up a conversation with a total stranger. Most people are good people. A persons reaction to friendliness can tell you a lot about them. An angry or agitated person often will not acknowledge the act or may even have a rude reaction. You have not posed a threat but have quickly determined they may be someone to stay away from. Being watchful of how people react to you or maybe how they react to a greeter at the door of Walmart could just give you the tip to keep you out of harms way. Smile often and keep your eyes open.

Profile photo of c
    c
    member7

Thanks for that matt76. I like the email metaphor! The subconscious mind can be our greatest friend or our worst enemy. I would humbly suggest doing our best to make friends with our subconscious minds.

I thought I would share a story about the power of lovingkindness walking meditation. I used to live in Victoria, BC walking distance from the downtown. There are many street people people living in Victoria. Many have mental illnesses and drug addictions.

I was walking back from downtown. My youngest daughter was an infant at the time. She was on my back in a backpack, sleeping. I was one block from my home when I heard a man screaming at a couple at the bus stop. (A group of people at the bus stop were backing away from the conflict.) The woman was sobbing. The man with scared but starting to raise his voice while putting himself between the raging man and his girlfriend. Everything register in that one moment.

I thought about my infant on my back and starting crossing the street to avoid the escalating fight… But I stopped and walked back. I had been doing the lovingkindness walking meditation all morning. I walked up to the raging man. I didn’t know what I was going to say until I said it.

Very quietly to him I said: “It doesn’t have to be a bad day…”

He stop, confused and looked at me. “What did you say?”

Again, very quietly I said, “It doesn’t have to be a bad day.”

It ended just like that. The man that was ragging a moment ago, hugged me and walked away. I was as surprised as the couple. The other man then started holding and comforting the sobbing woman. I walked away, just like that. It was over.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I read this morning that the leading rabbi in Europe is asking for a change in gun laws. He wants all jews to have the ability to carry guns 24/7.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Given their unique history, it makes abundant sense to me. It would be good if all Europeans could be armed, but if all that is possible is an exception for one group, the Jews are the ones I’d pick.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

When I think they need to first give guns to there police officers. How can a police officer not have a gun? Then yes they need to start selling guns to all none criminal and let them carry. They will need some training since gun control has been in Europe for so long that they do not have any idea how they work.

Profile photo of lonewolf
    lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

my first thought is I’m glad I moved out of a city 15 nearly 16 years ago, I haven’t entered a city since, the largest urban centre I visit these days has a population of 20,000 and we visit maybe twice a year to have wife’s boots resoled, get a few bits, couple of hours and we are out of there, 50 mile round trip about an hours travel each way. when I lived in a city I used to practise “people watching”, I still don’t like people walking up behind me and I always sit with my back to a wall.

British Survivalist.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.