Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

My financee lives in Paris, and over this past weekend she asked me a question that has been repeated by many ‘What do I do if faced with a gunman in a public space?’. I wrote this short article on things to consider, aimed very much at the ”limited attention span, new to it all’ crowd (and in Europe), feel free to copy and share if you think it is of use…

Maintaining Safety in Calamity

The latest spate of terrorist attacks and the clear assessment that these type of attacks are likely to increase in the near future has highlighted to many, the need to have a ’shift in thinking’ towards seizing control of their personal safety. There are many excellent training opportunities available even for civilians although some of you may not have the time, inclination or resources to afford comprehensive training in this regard. So below, there are some ‘top tips’ to consider, should you find yourself caught up in a ‘mass casualty’ attack.

1) Stay alert, especially in public areas. Minimize or ideally eliminate distractions (using smartphone, listening to music, reading etc.) while in public areas. You CANNOT react to a situation if you do not know it is occurring! Note minimizing distractions is NOT the same as staying alert, you need to actively observe what is going on around you in order to be alert.

2) Acknowledge the situation. This is probably the single most challenging part. Seeing a situation occurring, acknowledging what it is, and reacting. The ‘freeze’ of unexpected events happens, but must be overcome. Dealing with the freeze is comprehensively covered here:

http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/freeze-response.htm

3) Identify exit routes. To quote Rory Miller, when reacting “don’t run away from danger, but towards safety”. Remember point 1 about staying alert? Included in this is identifying possible threats around you and always looking for escape routes and exits from your current position. This is easy to practice and after a while can become instinctive. Be creative about escape routes; don’t just think about the door you came in through, but all other potential options available to you. ‘Reading terrain’ is expanded on here:

http://chirontraining.blogspot.se/2013/04/cofv-123-terrain.html

4) Make other people aware. As you exit the situation, try and alert other people to the danger. This is not only just being a decent human being, but the more people are aware of the situation, the swifter it can be dealt with.

5) Take stock of injuries. Once you reach a safe place, check yourself over thoroughly to establish if you have any injuries. The adrenalisation that occurs in your body during such a situation can easily mask wounds, injuries even gun shot wounds for a period of time. Once you’re safe, it is essential you check and start to treat any wounds you may have.

Linked to point 5. As you ‘come down’ from the adrenal high, it will be perfectly normal to feel VERY shaken and distressed. It is essential you do not let yourself panic at this stage. You are likely in a very dynamic and fast flowing situation and may need to react further, so keeping calm is a top priority. One of the easiest ways to achieve this is to use established ‘breathing drills’ that will help your body remain calm. Mike Gonzales, Head Instructor at San Antonio Systema suggests some short breathing options to reduce heart rate and calm yourself:

*All drills are in the event of panic, fear, accelerated heart rate, etc., but can also be used at any time
    not just under threat.

(I) Burst Breathing: Similar to a women giving birth using the ‘Lamaze Method”. Short and sharp inhales through the nose and short and sharp exhales through the mouth. The inhales/exhales are not complete and full, they are only about half/second long and should be rapid. This is to be used under high stress, or as an alternative to reduce pain.

(II) 3XPX3P : Having escaped the situation and reached safety begin inhaling through the nose for 3 seconds, then pause for 1 second, exhale through mouth for 3 seconds, pause for 1 second – repeat. This incorporates a short pause/breath hold in the rhythm, which helps reestablish the “natural respiratory pause” that goes out the window while under stress. You can modify this breathing drill, inhaling for upto in for 5 seconds and out for 5, and increasing the pause to 3 seconds, all depending how severe your need is.

6) Communicate with authorities. If you haven’t already done so, alert the authorities to the situation and provide as much detail about the threat presented as possible. Continue to stave off panic, and, if you can, try to write down or record in any way possible, details of what just happened.

7) The last point is actually a pre-emptive one. Find and familiarize yourself with the security plans in your workplace. Actively contribute to keeping your work area secure by ensuring you follow the plans and report any discrepancies or issues with compliance. Also take the time to review your personal approach to security (you have begun this already by reading this article!) and think about ways you can improve your security both at home and when travelling. Do not give in to fear and try to ‘ignore’ the reality of the world around you, and understand, a small amount of planning and preparedness goes a long way to making you safer.

If you want to explore reacting to violent situations further I highly recommend reading ‘Facing Violence’ by Rory Miller.

http://www.amazon.com/Facing-Violence-Unexpected-Rory-Miller/dp/1594392137

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Good advice.

Profile photo of ronym
    ronym
    Survivalist
    member5

watch out people…
    if you see this as false flag… then you will know the next false flag is

http://www.silverdoctors.com/charlie-hebdo-and-tsarnaevs-trial-cui-bono-dr-paul-craig-roberts/#more-49869

To the average person in the West, the notion that our own governments have a long history of running “false flag” operations in an attempt to terrorize us would seem ridiculous, and downright insane conspiracy theory. But reality is stranger than fiction.
    According to news reports, police found the ID of Said Kouachi at the scene of the Charlie Hebdo shooting.
    Does this sound familiar? Remember, authorities claimed to have found the undamaged passport of one of the alleged 9/11 hijackers among the massive pulverized ruins of the twin towers.
    Once the authorities discover that the stupid Western peoples will believe any transparent lie, the authorities use the lie again and again.
    The police claim to have discovered a dropped ID is a sure indication that the attack on Charlie Hebdo was an inside job, and that people identified by NSA as hostile to the Western wars against Muslims are going to be framed to pull France firmly back under Washington’s thumb.

Dr. Paul Craig Roberts is one of the very few former high level US officials that has the guts to investigate and question very uncomfortable subjects. Only a few days have passed since the attack in Paris and careful research and context mapping must be done to nail down exactly what happened. But Dr. Roberts is raising very important questions.

If you read the following article 48 hours or less after Dr. Roberts originally published it, take another look. There are important updates we are carrying at The News Doctors.

UPDATE: Well known writers Thierry Meyssan and Kevin Barrett see the “terrorist” attack on Charlie Hebdo as a false flag attack. Click hereto read Meyssan and click here to read Kevin Barrett.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

“Escape the Wolf – Risk Mitigation”, Personal Security Handbook for the Traveling Professional.
    Clint Emerson with Lynn Walters.

Excellent, excellent information for all of us.
    (Includes “Al Qaeda Training Manual”, for as he says: Knowing the Enemy)

The Introduction says it all: Of Wolves, Sheep and Sheepdogs – Which one are you?

Robin

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

We here in America a person 21 or older can own a gun and many state you can carry the gun on you. I think that we will see more people here carrying now. I know I will be. The advice is very good.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Using a gun will draw immediate attention be sure you have taken cover and have a good escape route. Plus be ready to distinguish yourself from the attackers to the police or other carriers.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Ronym,
    I spent too many years working investigations, show me the evidence not some guesses and supposition.

However Freud said it best, “Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar”.

An ID was found at the scene, could be a plant.
    Or it could be what it is, the ID of a dumb×£€&, found where he committed a crime, not unusual. Especially if he is digging other things like magazines or such out of his pockets.

Robin,
    I spent a decade as the sheepdog.
    Lets just say that some habits are hard to break.

Freedom,
    Can’t understand why you weren’t carrying 24/7 before, out in the sticks where I am, I can’t remember the last time I didn’t have something with me, even when a job didn’t allow it.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I wasn’t going to comment on ronym’s post because it will throw the thread off. Whirly give some of your thoughts on armed response.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Whirlibird, I forget sometimes will not do that anymore. You are right, the day I do not carry is when something will happen. Will start 24/7.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Carry your S&W FREEDOM!

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Id found at scene …. french investigator commits suicide. Seems to coincidental to me.
    The police have probably been infiltrated.
    Better watch for very nervous cops/ security and exit if your intuition tells you to get out quick.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

74, will do. Whirlibird, I do sleep next to my shotgun. Since I do 90% of my work at home this is why I sometime forget to carry. At home I always have the gun next to me.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I had a hard time watching the police officer get shot that didn’t have a gun. I can’t believe a police officer in France didn’t have a gun. They must of had some Intel of terrorist working on something before this happen so they needed all there police to have a handgun.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Freedom… you can carry a mouse gun on your ankle at home under the pajamas and when you wake up in the morning its still there, just like a watch. lol

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>freedom wrote:</div>I had a hard time watching the police officer get shot that didn’t have a gun. I can’t believe a police officer in France didn’t have a gun. They must of had some Intel of terrorist working on something before this happen so they needed all there police to have a handgun.

Looking at some close up footage I think the shooter missed and hit the concrete. But I could be wrong.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.