Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Got a question about water filtration for a house. My family and in laws all live on the same piece of property. We are all on the same well. My water smells like rotten eggs when you first turn it on but the other houses on the well do not have the same problem. All of the houses are less than 5 yrs old. Any suggestions on what the cause might be or suggestions on a filter to get rid of the smell?

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Oh and I forgot to mention it is only the cold water that stinks.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

No idea what the problem may be but if you have an Extension Service or some such in the area you might want to get the water tested.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Matt – there can be a number of reasons for this as I recall having once had the issue.. It is either sulpher, sulpher gas or iron causing the issue. It can be create a problem either with the well casing pipes, the water heater, or bacteria in the well.

This problem can drive you crazy if you don’t go about it in the logical steps. First get your well tested. Either the local health dept or a well driller can do it. You need to know the state of the water in the well first. It will tell you if it is sulpher or iron or both and the level of bacteria in the well.

My former problem was resolved with a chlorine wash and carbon whole house water filter system. A neighbor down the road had to have a new liner put in his well casing (cast iron casing). Sometimes the rod can be changed in a water heater. Sometimes you need to shock your well on a regular basis. Start with finding out the state of your water with a test. Then I’d find a good well drilling company and ask them their advice before moving onward. People will try and sell you all sorts of stuff to fix the problem..that may not be the problem at all!

Quickly, here’s a helpful link - also check articles/info at end

FWIW

elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

Matt, years ago a team of us arrived in a country town and one used the first available toilet. He was followed by another team member who came out complaining to me how the first guy must have ‘dropped his guts’ in there, the smell was so bad. It was only later that we found that the whole town’s water supply smelled like that because of the minerals [especially sulfur] that were in the underground water.

So your water may be alright for use and be only heavily mineralized, but tweva’s advice is good: see if you can have your water analyzed so you can know if there is a health issue.

Btw, the locals didn’t notice the smell; they were used to it. I was there for two weeks because of floods, and I never got used to it.

Bugs Bunny: "I speak softly, but I carry a big stick."
    Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

I have a suspicion that the issue is something within my house. As I stated before there are 2 other houses on the same well and they have no issue. What is most puzzling is that it is only the cold water and only from certain faucets. The house is only 2 yrs. old.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

When we moved here we lived near Sulphur Creek, and yes the well water was horrific. It took three filter systems to make it palatable.

Matt, you need ro seriously have that water tested, every tap.
    The old comment, something crawled up there and died keeps coming to mind.

And then there’s the possibility of a gas line crack and the additive somehow making its way into your plumbing.

There have been reports of natural gas leaking into houses through the wells, people having to shower with the windows open and no sparks.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

I have never heard of the gas thing. Guess that could make for a really hot shower. I will be looking in the attic tomorrow to check the pipes. Thanks for the info.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/eh/wells/waterquality/methanemn.html

Here’s a quick link to get the idea across better, at least one source.

I first thought of propane as I had a canister spring a leak around the blowout valve recently and once the pressure had dropped, the liquid additive seeped out and was nauseating due to the high concentration.

A couple more that seemed interesting.

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/environment/natural-gas-found-drinking-water-near-fracked-wells-f6C10433123

http://www.npr.org/2012/08/28/160128351/methane-making-an-appearance-in-pa-water-supplies

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.